Thread: Theoben SLR88 Imperator and a couple of others... .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two more...

Hoping that the images work for all to enjoy...
    My own two to add into the Theoben melting pot!

A Thumbhole Grand Prix (this is one of my favourite rifles for accuracy); and
    The SLR88 Imperator FT HE

https://imgur.com/a/UQjnfL7
    https://www.walnut.black

Ultra-carbine is definitely on my “bucket list”. Very nice indeed.

R

Muskett's SLR88 Imperator, its as good as it gets with a Bausch and Lomb scope on top.

Probably the best airgun in the world. But the slr98 is not in the same league as the 88.

Agree totally ref the 88v98, my thumbhole stock 88 is on a par with a 80’s venom for quality and finish. Stocknwas an exhibition one though, have an eliminator with a similar stock that is a 12ftlb gun and is lovely to shoot will do some pics.

To make a correction its a 4-16x40 Tasco. The plex one, not the dual plex rangefinder type.
    I do have B&L's on my Venom 77 and on Park 93.

My SLR 88 bluing has matured with age. Its interesting how the different steels have held their blue depth. The German barrel is blue brown, whereas the rest is deep blue no change. My Original 45 has turned blue brown too. Its not rust but just how the steel has reacted over time.

The other noticeable oddity is the red blues steel band and pin. Seen clearly in the second picture by the magazine. I was told it was something to do with the welding process?? No idea quite how this reason is come to.

I don't shoot mine often having other Theobens to shoot. All seem pretty similar. My SLR-88 does shoot very nicely indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    To make a correction its a 4-16x40 Tasco. The plex one, not the dual plex rangefinder type.
    I do have B&L's on my Venom 77 and on Park 93.

My SLR 88 bluing has matured with age. Its interesting how the different steels have held their blue depth. The German barrel is blue brown, whereas the rest is deep blue no change. My Original 45 has turned blue brown too. Its not rust but just how the steel has reacted over time.

The other noticeable oddity is the red blues steel band and pin. Seen clearly in the second picture by the magazine. I was told it was something to do with the welding process?? No idea quite how this reason is come to.

I don't shoot mine often having other Theobens to shoot. All seem pretty similar. My SLR-88 does shoot very nicely indeed.
    The red tones are on pieces that have been heat treated either by being deliberately hardened like the pins or overheating when welding
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I've got a low preasure theoben countryman with a brass lined .25 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    I've got a low preasure theoben countryman with a brass lined .25 barrel
    Sounds like a Steve Harper conversion

I wonder if anyone can explain the serial numbers on the SLR88's, mine both have a three digit number etched on the cocking linkage.... usually.you get a TB1234 number on them.

Cheers

All mine are 3 digit numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    I wonder if anyone can explain the serial numbers on the SLR88's, mine both have a three digit number etched on the cocking linkage.... usually.you get a TB1234 number on them.

Cheers

They started at No 001 and went up to a little more than 500 - the SLR98 also started with 001. Almost as rare as a Whiscombe!

Thanks Muskett for the advice on what period scopes to get. Finally managed to get a Bausch and Lomb Elite and a period Tasco, the one with the dual reticle and all the different animals listed on it. They look good and perform better. Cheers.

Slr 98

Picked up a mint .22 SLR98 couple of years ago without realizing how iconic these are. Love shooting airguns again mostly just to guestimate windage and elevation on distant targets without having air charge anxiety. I've pics but being considered old I haven't figured out how to attach them as yet.
    Last edited by 400yrds; 03-07-2020 at 09:24 AM.