Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoben SLR88 Imperator and a couple of others... .

Theoben SLR88 Imperator and a couple of others... .

Just managed to pick this one up c/w period Viking Japanese glass. The blueing is perfect, with only a few handling marks on the wood. I'm delighted with it as the quality is excellent. It is also noticeably heavier than my SLR 98's., where i understand that Theoben managed to take some of the weight out. If people can offer any further information on the SLR88 I would appreciate it. For reference I have also included some pictures of my Custom SLR98, standard SLR98 and my Sirocco 2000.

Cheers Duggan.

Very nice pictures of photo bucket speed dials

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    the 88 is so much nicer than the 98...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Not sure why people cant see photos, but I hear they are looking to charge for it. Does anyone know when the SLR88 Imperator pre HE came out? How many were made etc?

Just been trying out the 88 in the garden and it is lovely to shoot. I have another pre HE Grand Prix from 1985 and that is also very sweet to use.

Hi Carl,
    I've often heard the Imperator is rated as the best engineered gun Theoben ever built. I saw two recently at the Airgun fair, one was very nice with a few marks, the other wasn't so clever, priced at £1,000 and £800 respectively.

They're lovely guns and feel solid, they had proper quality stock's with hand checkering unlike some of the later digestive biscuits with laser checkering. I'd like one but I couldn't justify the prices they demand when in very good condition.

Be great to see some photos of it mate as you can no longer view photobucket images.

BM

Hi Andy im sending them over now. If you know how to post them for the members here great. Thank you for the information.

These pics are visible to me now has photobucket changed their policies again?

Duggan, your collection gets better and better.

I'll send you a picture of my SLR88 that you might put up here for me.
    I don't have a hosting site and really need to upgrade my computer).

SLR88 must of been done in several batches over a good three years as I think there are three safety variants and possibly three stocks. My example has the push leaf safety in the trigger guard. Think yours is the plunger type forward of the trigger guard??
    Theoben was being innovative and the SLR88 was used to play with new ideas. Maybe the reason for the level of hand built and perfection lavished on them.
    What is true for all of them is the pure class of engineering and finish. The design was for .22 magazine fed though the .177 FT single shot was made. Annoyingly, to have the .177 left the open breach gap that just looks all wrong because in truth it is. Very few FT's were made.

Any SLR88 in superb condition is in my judgement worth £1000 plus for the pure quality and historic milestone. Beautifully made, full of innovation, and they sure shoot nicely.
    From this rifle Theoben found its next generation of rifles, and very good they were too. Sadly, somewhere the company lost its mojo and the company failed against the increased competition. The rifles were never cheap, but I still think the failure of the company was that they never had enough margin in the rifles as they lavished too much into each and everyone.
    All Theobens are worth picking up while there are a few about, because they are just lovely rifles, done well.

My SLR88 Imperators, the Grand Prix version has particularly good walnut.

Theoben Sirocco Grand Prix's are my favourite break barrel rifles. Two of these are pre HE the other is a later HE version. Beautiful, accurate and well balanced rifles. The Sirocco is from 1986 and is also really good.

here are some of my SLR's have added a few more since these pics were taken, the 88 is without doubt my favourite rammer!! All versions are in the pics, including the Ultra carbine:

although my favourite is the 88 thumbhole:

I picked up another 88 FT a few months ago which is the HE one whilst the one in the pic is a non HE

That's as good as it gets Guy, thanks for showing them. I noticed your GP SLR88 has an end cap fitted, I wasnt aware that Theoben did this, is it original?

My Hunter stocked SLR88 has no safety catch or, button Muskett, I wonder if that is now a fourth variant?

No, its probably the third, there being just the button and inner trigger ones. The third option being no safety.

To me your thumbhole example is a dream machine.
    (If you message me your email address I'll send over pictures of mine to you to post up please; adds to this excellent thread.)

Two more...

Hoping that the images work for all to enjoy...
    My own two to add into the Theoben melting pot!

A Thumbhole Grand Prix (this is one of my favourite rifles for accuracy); and
    The SLR88 Imperator FT HE

https://imgur.com/a/UQjnfL7
    https://www.walnut.black

Ultra-carbine is definitely on my “bucket list”. Very nice indeed.