Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Theoben SLR88 Imperator and a couple of others... .

R

Muskett's SLR88 Imperator, its as good as it gets with a Bausch and Lomb scope on top.

Probably the best airgun in the world. But the slr98 is not in the same league as the 88.

Agree totally ref the 88v98, my thumbhole stock 88 is on a par with a 80’s venom for quality and finish. Stocknwas an exhibition one though, have an eliminator with a similar stock that is a 12ftlb gun and is lovely to shoot will do some pics.

To make a correction its a 4-16x40 Tasco. The plex one, not the dual plex rangefinder type.
    I do have B&L's on my Venom 77 and on Park 93.

My SLR 88 bluing has matured with age. Its interesting how the different steels have held their blue depth. The German barrel is blue brown, whereas the rest is deep blue no change. My Original 45 has turned blue brown too. Its not rust but just how the steel has reacted over time.

The other noticeable oddity is the red blues steel band and pin. Seen clearly in the second picture by the magazine. I was told it was something to do with the welding process?? No idea quite how this reason is come to.

I don't shoot mine often having other Theobens to shoot. All seem pretty similar. My SLR-88 does shoot very nicely indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    To make a correction its a 4-16x40 Tasco. The plex one, not the dual plex rangefinder type.
    I do have B&L's on my Venom 77 and on Park 93.

My SLR 88 bluing has matured with age. Its interesting how the different steels have held their blue depth. The German barrel is blue brown, whereas the rest is deep blue no change. My Original 45 has turned blue brown too. Its not rust but just how the steel has reacted over time.

The other noticeable oddity is the red blues steel band and pin. Seen clearly in the second picture by the magazine. I was told it was something to do with the welding process?? No idea quite how this reason is come to.

I don't shoot mine often having other Theobens to shoot. All seem pretty similar. My SLR-88 does shoot very nicely indeed.
    The red tones are on pieces that have been heat treated either by being deliberately hardened like the pins or overheating when welding
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I've got a low preasure theoben countryman with a brass lined .25 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by transporter View Post
    I've got a low preasure theoben countryman with a brass lined .25 barrel
    Sounds like a Steve Harper conversion

I wonder if anyone can explain the serial numbers on the SLR88's, mine both have a three digit number etched on the cocking linkage.... usually.you get a TB1234 number on them.

Cheers

All mine are 3 digit numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
    I wonder if anyone can explain the serial numbers on the SLR88's, mine both have a three digit number etched on the cocking linkage.... usually.you get a TB1234 number on them.

Cheers

They started at No 001 and went up to a little more than 500 - the SLR98 also started with 001. Almost as rare as a Whiscombe!

Thanks Muskett for the advice on what period scopes to get. Finally managed to get a Bausch and Lomb Elite and a period Tasco, the one with the dual reticle and all the different animals listed on it. They look good and perform better. Cheers.

Theoben SLR 98

I keep reading how much nicer the 88 is compared to the 98
    I have never had an 88 (but have put an ad in the wanted)
    What i will say is that all 3 of my 98s will shoot a sub 1p group at 50yds Bench rested
    So is the 88 that much ? better, time will tell

value?

whats the current value for a mint not a mark SLR88 Imperator FT pre he worth ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    whats the current value for a mint not a mark SLR88 Imperator FT pre he worth ?
    .177 ? A grand +
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Yea about a grand, the last one sold on here for 900