So today I tried to post an air pistol, Royal Mail Special Delivery, which I believe is currently the most sensible option for posting air pistols. So I took it to the post office (open in Scotland 'cos we don't get this bank holiday).

"What's in it?"
"A low powered air pistol."

First she tells me that you can't post that. I tell her that according to the Royal Mail website, I can, so long as I use minimum 1st Class post. As it says here:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com/...ricted%20goods

So after a bit of tutting she agreed to phone the "Helpline." She asks me whether the six inch long box contains a pistol or a rifle. After confirming it is a pistol she tells me that it can only be posted by Parcelforce48. I point out again that it says on the Royal Mail website that I can send it minimum First Class, but I want to send it Special Delivery. I load up the Royal Mail website on my phone and show her. Nope. She has to go with what the helpline says. So I ask her to call them back and ask why their information differs from the Royal Mail website. She does this and then produces a leaflet from behind the counter. This leaflet is new and does indeed say that you can post an air pistol Parcelforce48. It does not say that you can't post it by Royal Mail. She insists that it does say that. At this point I assume that she doesn't know that if words are in a different order they have a different meaning. In the end I gave up and left; not really a good idea getting arsey when you are actuallly carrying a gun, even if it is all wrapped up in a box.

I don't know whether the helpline she spoke to is Post Office run or whether it is Royal Mail run. I suspect the former as I have experienced the Post Office trying to push Parcelforce services unnecessarily before. I have sent a complaint to Royal Mail for the website and the helpline having conflicting information and have asked the BASC for advice.