Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gah! Post office staff & posting air pistols

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    They are a private company taking responsibility for transporting & delivering your item, so they are 100% entitled to know what they are carrying,
    If you don't like their terms...don't use their service.
    Royal Mail and the Post Office are not the same company. The Post Office were stating different rules for the Royal Mail than what Royal Mail publish on their website.

Apart from that it's pointless to lie or misrepresent your item, it's legal to send a low power airgun, or parts of one & if you need to claim the compensation you're still going to have to prove what it was & what it was worth, at which point the rules for a gun will apply.
    Agreed. And you shouldn't have to lie or withhold facts in order to use a service in the way that it is advertised by the service provider.

I can sort of understand why RM and PF have some concerns / issues carrying a PCP or bottle due to the pressurised cylinder. If one was sent that was faulty, cracked etc. and the way that some of the parcels are treated in transit, it's a potential accident waiting to happen.

But when I comes to spring powered rifles and pistols, I can't see an issue. As long as what is inside the parcel is not written brazenly on the outside and packages sufficiently, how would anyone know what was in there during transit? The only people likely to know are the person sending it, the receipient and (possibly if told) the person taking the parcel from the sender at the post office. And what damage could they possibly cause?

I understand the insurance side of things, but this is the post office not wanting to pay out loads more on th parcels they loose / damage. And I have had a few of these instances in the past.

ATB

Ross
    The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese..

Contact Post Office complaints and explain the situation, as long asyou were posting an item they should carry they should sort it out with the individual.
    Last edited by Dodger21; 29-08-2017 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correction
    Don’t confuse luck with ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger21 View Post
    Contact RM complaints and explain the situation, as long asyou were posting an item they should carry they should sort it out with the individual.
    I've done that

In fairness to the Post Office staff, they did phone the helpline that is supposed to give them the information that they need. My major concern is that helpline directly contradicting the information on RMs website. One or other, or both, is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi2k View Post
    I can sort of understand why RM and PF have some concerns / issues carrying a PCP or bottle due to the pressurised cylinder. If one was sent that was faulty, cracked etc. and the way that some of the parcels are treated in transit, it's a potential accident waiting to happen.

But when I comes to spring powered rifles and pistols, I can't see an issue. As long as what is inside the parcel is not written brazenly on the outside and packages sufficiently, how would anyone know what was in there during transit? The only people likely to know are the person sending it, the receipient and (possibly if told) the person taking the parcel from the sender at the post office. And what damage could they possibly cause?

I understand the insurance side of things, but this is the post office not wanting to pay out loads more on th parcels they loose / damage. And I have had a few of these instances in the past.

ATB

Ross
    Well firstly the insurance would be paid by RM or PF the PO is just the "shop" that sell's the service the 3 are all different companies & have been for 30 odd years(?)

There's more to it than meets the eye, one thing is the often mentioned Xray of air freight, as most mail now flies, an air pistol on xray looks much like a "real pistol" so is going to be stopped which costs RM money both in possible delay's & in then sending the item to be inspected, I'm not sure if they would also be fined by either the CAA or flight company.

the other thing is that all airguns are legally classed as "firearms" are subject to firearms laws & firearms shipping licences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    Infuriating isn't it.

Post Office counters seem to attract a certain type of employee - generally a strange kind of bastard offspring generated during a nights dogging with a librarian, an SS officer and, sloth from Goonies.

My opinion on this doesn't always seem popular but, I wrap a parcel so that it'll survive a couple of days of the worst abuse that warehouse workers and couriers could throw at it, then, when I get to the counter, smile politely and lie through my teeth.

I'd think twice if I knew something risked going by air mail but, I've sent a fair few things so far and, absolutely everything has arrived intact.

The furthest was decorative wood and metal carvings (*cough* Daystate Merlyn) from Swindon to Northumberland.
    Best discription Iv'e ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Fine saying sporting goods until it goes missing and you then tell them it was an airgun

Seeing as airguns have their own regulations.
    The regulations actually allow this method of posting air pistols - not all post office employees know this and I got fed up with arguing the toss. When I did argue and they checked they accepted it! So in the event of a claim I will simply use the same argument.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    The regulations actually allow this method of posting air pistols - not all post office employees know this and I got fed up with arguing the toss. When I did argue and they checked they accepted it! So in the event of a claim I will simply use the same argument.
    I know they allow posting airguns . What I said was in relation to saying it was sporting goods. As Angrybear has stated above , they are firearms.so they go under the royal mails firearms regulations.

So if it goes to belfast and gets destroyed ; who gets blame for it? The sender.

Yes it would be great if every post office workers knew the regulations but it does not help when people lie as to whats in the parcel.

if you send it as sporting goods and it gets destroyed then tough poop.

I have a print out of the parcel force policy and have highlighted the appropriate text. I simply take it with me and be honest.

When you see Veronica's eyes light up and monotone voice starts with 'we will not accept..' i simply say 'i rang customer services to check this morning, you do carry low powered airguns, they directed me to their website, which, as advised, i have printed out and brought with me to save any confusion with post office staff'.

Veronica's face will look slightly stunned, her smirk will drop and she will start to mumble a bit and shake her head whilst reading the print out. Then to save looking like a fool, she will turn into your best mate mode, take your parcel and make comments like 'well i wish they told us stuff like that'

I just put the box on the scales & say,
    "Hello, it's a low powered airgun so as I'm sure you already know, royal mail rules state RMSD or PF48 service only to send these"

It cuts them off before they have time to think, and also makes it clear to them that you know the rules,
    If you also casually hold a copy of the restricted items leaflet (so they can see the title) they also know you come equipped for an argument.

They usually give you the evil eye, but just smile, nod & say "yep, I send a few so I'm used to explaining"

I do similar to AB above.

As far as the misconception that only PF48 can be used, I once had to wait for the PO counter staff to make a phone call to confirm the RM/PF Rules; after which they were helpful by recommending RMSD because it was slightly lower cost than PF48!

That was for a small package (pistol) below 2kg; above that weight the cost of RMSD increases significantly.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    (NB - I do not own, and have not owned, and nor have I had someone courier on my behalf, a bazooka.)
    Nah, but that RPG you sent me last month made it through no probs, heh
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

If your local branch has the self service machines all you have to do is click "no" when the screen asks if your parcel contains a prohibited item. Which saves time, and suggests Rapidnick is, strictly, right in his approach to counter staff

However personally I haven't got time or energy to argue with staff with a little authority who think that things they don't approve of should be banned (see also, idiots who think Swiss Army knives are illegal cough Bristol post office cough). So now I would use the machine

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    After having done some work on a stock for someone I went to send it back to him, PF48 and asked to increase the insured value to £200.

"Before I do that, would you mind telling me what's inside this parcel?"

A piece of wood.

"It must be bluddy expensive wood if it's worth £200"
    Obviously this smart arse has not seen the price of a piece of a 2 feet long exhibition grade Turkish walnut yet or he wouldn't be remarking about £200.00.

A.G

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    After having done some work on a stock for someone I went to send it back to him, PF48 and asked to increase the insured value to £200.

"Before I do that, would you mind telling me what's inside this parcel?"

A piece of wood.

"It must be bluddy expensive wood if it's worth £200"
    The thing is you don't have to tell them what's inside if asked, you just have to say something that is not on your restricted list.