Thread: Vintage POP OUTS

Vintage POP OUTS

Having seen more than a few Dolla in my time , interest was never that great I must admit . Then I saw one in a little wooden box and I felt all soft inside . Since then I have owned a few pop-outs but all names I was familiar with . I see one on that free adverts website at what seems a high price marked as a ' LIMIT '. I know of a rare ' GARANTA ' model but not ' Limit ' - any chaps here in the Gentlemen's Corner know or heard of this ?
    Btw
    Apologies in advance , I have tried in vain to use the search function here first before posting this query up .

Got a Garanta but sans trigger guard, also a Limit.

Sorry, sad old b*****d but I like pop outs, my first air pistol ever was a Diana Mk2, I think that I have 15 or so in my collection of all types and all ages.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Nothing wrong with pop-outs if you are a real lover of all things airgun.

I have examples of just about every one that was ever made and don't regret a thing.(The very first Quackenbush is sadly the principal one that I am missing, and there is also an Argentinian Lucifer and a Swedish Kadett still to find), I'm just glad I started collecting them when they could be found in those boxes of junk lurking under dealer's stalls at arms fairs when they could often be bought for peanuts. Sadly those days are long gone.

With regard to the Limit, this was available in black or nickelled finish, and also came in a de-luxe version with a chequered plastic grip inlay. The standard black version is slightly rarer than the equivalent sheet-steel Briton, but is nowhere near as rare as the Garanta, so there is no real reason for it to command a high price. Incidentally the manufacturing and distribution details of this group of near-identical pop-outs made up of the Briton, Limit, Milbro and Garanta is one of the great unsolved mysteries of pre-war British air pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Having seen more than a few Dolla in my time , interest was never that great I must admit . Then I saw one in a little wooden box and I felt all soft inside . Since then I have owned a few pop-outs but all names I was familiar with . I see one on that free adverts website at what seems a high price marked as a ' LIMIT '. I know of a rare ' GARANTA ' model but not ' Limit ' - any chaps here in the Gentlemen's Corner know or heard of this ?
    Btw
    Apologies in advance , I have tried in vain to use the search function here first before posting this query up .
    Hello,

The Limit and Garanta are virtually identical to the pressed steel, second series Briton except for their markings. All of these are British made and are also very similar to the German Diana 2 except again for markings and screw threads.

The manufacturer is unknown, but it's likely that the Limit was made on the same machinery as the second series Briton. The Limit was made between the 1930s and 1950s and is consequently easier to find than the Garanta which was only available circa 1933 - 1939.

I have a first series Briton and a Lincoln Jeffries Scout which were made before the pressed steel models became common and consequently made to a higher
    build quality. Still pop-outs though and not particularly accurate, but still fun to shoot occasionally.

Regards

Brian

Book

Somewhere I saw reference to a Book being in print . At the time it was not of interest but now ... any details ? Having seen and owned one too many Gats , this Limit looks good and fits in with my collecting period. Mind a 'modern' Gat Rifle in working order would be a nice 70's treat . As for the others mentioned my oh my I have so much to learn Next thing I'll be collecting potato spud guns .
    Last edited by Jimny4x4; 29-08-2017 at 03:17 PM.

Pop Out book

The book I think that you mean is by Malcolm Atkins, and is called "GATS A Guide to Junior Push In - Pop Out Airguns". ISBN number is :

978-178035-225-1. I don't know who would have any in stock, but you could try abebooks on the net.
    Life is to be enjoyed, not endured.

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    The book I think that you mean is by Malcolm Atkins, and is called "GATS A Guide to Junior Push In - Pop Out Airguns". ISBN number is :

978-178035-225-1. I don't know who would have any in stock, but you could try abebooks on the net.

I got it as a kindle edition download a couple of years ago from Amazon, which is an alternative to tracking down a hard copy.

It's a good book. I'm not really sure why I bought it, because I'm really not very interested in pop-outs.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Vintage Pop Outs? Sounds like me in a dressing gown!
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    Vintage Pop Outs? Sounds like me in a dressing gown!
    Always someone here up for a laugh

Kindles - I fear I like an old book . Thanks for the details - I'll look up .

Er, don't knock spud guns, they are still 'air guns' and I have a few (not collecting them!!!!!).
    lodmoor

Crunch

Quote Originally Posted by lodmoor View Post
    Er, don't knock spud guns, they are still 'air guns' and I have a few (not collecting them!!!!!).
    I can still remember the 'crunch' sound as I would drive the muzzle of my spud gun into a hard potato . Given free on the cover of " ? " .
    Ahh brings back memories .

Living in Weymouth where there are a lot of 'catch the tourist' shops there are plenty of spud guns to be had. I have a couple, one from the fifties but was given one by a friend recently.

'Potato Zapper, genuine classic. Family fun no batteries required. Uses potato pellets, potato not included.' Wonderful!!!!!!!!

I have not even opened the box so, you never know, in a hundred years it might be collectable!!!

lodmoor