Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airsporter Mk1 'Purists' - look away now!

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland

Red face Airsporter Mk1 'Purists' - look away now!

Now I have my man cave sorted, (see thread in Non airgun section) my intention is to do some Airsporter 'project' work I have had simmering in my mind for a few years.

I have a Mk1 (Mk1 Airsporters are my favourite of the Airsporter rifles) project rifle that I acquired off here a few years ago that I intend to strip down and carry out a few mod’s on.
    One is to make a one off new stock for it – problem is acquiring a suitable blank at reasonable price, preferably walnut.

The stock will be of the style of the ‘Centenary Airsporter’ with an elongated fore end and a raised comb and cheekpiece.
    I will drill and tap the air chamber top to accept a suitable scope ramp, or, I will ‘bond’ one on using a suitable adhesive – not sure which.
    A one piece off set scope mount and a decent scope will be fitted.
    Also I will refurbish all the mechanics/seals etc and have the metal works re-blued.
    All in all, I should end up with a much improved Mk1 – a ‘special’ one off, sorry if that offends the ‘purists’ but I have a couple of nice examples that I wouldn’t dream of doing this to, the example I will modify has definitely it’s ‘best days behind it’ – but hopefully, that will change and it will shine again! (as well as being very unique)

Additionally, I have had it in my mind to alter a couple of second hand Airsporter stocks (beech) I have, they are the Mk4/5/6 open ended type, again to an extended fore end enclosing the existing underlever. The way I intend to do this is to half lap onto the existing ‘arms’ running back to the trigger area (aka Mk 1 and 2 three piece stocks) so the stock will look very similar at this point as inevitably, there is going to have to be an obvious ‘Joint’ between old and new sections.
    I just have to obtain some suitable beech wood to do it! (just missed out on some a couple of months back too! )
    What say you about this proposal?

Please be polite! (befitting 'Gentlemans corner'! )

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    Now I have my man cave sorted, (see thread in Non airgun section) my intention is to do some Airsporter 'project' work I have had simmering in my mind for a few years.

I have a Mk1 (Mk1 Airsporters are my favourite of the Airsporter rifles) project rifle that I acquired off here a few years ago that I intend to strip down and carry out a few mod’s on.
    One is to make a one off new stock for it – problem is acquiring a suitable blank at reasonable price, preferably walnut.

The stock will be of the style of the ‘Centenary Airsporter’ with an elongated fore end and a raised comb and cheekpiece.
    I will drill and tap the air chamber top to accept a suitable scope ramp, or, I will ‘bond’ one on using a suitable adhesive – not sure which.
    Also I will refurbish all the mechanics/seals etc and have the metal works re-blued.
    All in all, I should end up with a much improved Mk1 – a ‘special’ one off, sorry if that offends the ‘purists’ but I have a couple of nice examples that I wouldn’t dream of doing this to, the example I will modify has definitely it’s ‘best days behind it’ – but hopefully, that will change and it will shine again! (as well as being very unique)

Additionally, I have had it in my mind to alter a couple of second hand Airsporter stocks (beech) I have, they are the Mk4/5/6 open ended type, again to an extended fore end enclosing the existing underlever. The way I intend to do this is to half lap onto the existing ‘arms’ running back to the trigger area (aka Mk 1 and 2 three piece stocks) so the stock will look very similar at this point as inevitably, there is going to have to be an obvious ‘Joint’ between old and new sections.
    I just have to obtain some suitable beech wood to do it! (just missed out on some a couple of months back too! )

ASM
    Not a problem...been modding the things for years.....except for maybe a MK 1 ..
    I did do a nice MK2 polishing off the gloss lustre of the stock and refinishing with matt wax....came up beautiful ...internals improved with a chambers head and and a little delrin work of my own but for all that there is nothing one can do about the slight errors and inefficiency that the tap brings....
    I only ever found absolute perfect alignment with the earlier model D/Lincoln Jeffries variants.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Not a problem...been modding the things for years.....except for maybe a MK 1 ..
    I did do a nice MK2 polishing off the gloss lustre of the stock and refinishing with matt wax....came up beautiful ...internals improved with a chambers head and and a little delrin work of my own but for all that there is nothing one can do about the slight errors and inefficiency that the tap brings....
    I only ever found absolute perfect alignment with the earlier model D/Lincoln Jeffries variants.
    Prefer oil finishes - oiled walnut my favourite!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

Prefer oil finishes - oiled walnut my favourite!

ASM
    ...me too generally ....but theres something about these walnut stocks on the Airsporters which take a matt none lustre finish better.
    I went with matt stock finish wax by birchwood.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    ...me too generally ....but theres something about these walnut stocks on the Airsporters which take a matt none lustre finish better.
    I went with matt stock finish wax by birchwood.
    Thanks mate - may check that one out!

ASM

ASM
    If you can PM me tonight with your requirements, or before 0800 tomorrow, I may be able to help. On a Wednesday I meet a dealer in various timbers at an auction.

Hope to help, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Thumbs up

ASM, I have a mk1 that came to me scoped!!, The rail looked like it had been made by a blacksmith!! Still have it somewhere!!

These were the sellers pics!, The scope is an ir Walther from memory, Still have that too!! (It was only £50 for the lot!!)

Pic 1

Pic 2

By the way, This is my fave 'Sporter, I got off my mate Blackrider, It's a bit special , He has the authenticated last airsporter that ever rolled off the production line!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    ASM, I have a mk1 that came to me scoped!!, The rail looked like it had been made by a blacksmith!! Still have it somewhere!!

These were the sellers pics!, The scope is an ir Walther from memory, Still have that too!! (It was only £50 for the lot!!)

Pic 1

Pic 2

By the way, This is my fave 'Sporter, I got off my mate Blackrider, It's a bit special , He has the authenticated last airsporter that ever rolled off the production line!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

John
    Yes seen all those pics before John, yes and I'm in love with the tiger striped Mk1 as you probably know!

ASM

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    If you can PM me tonight with your requirements, or before 0800 tomorrow, I may be able to help. On a Wednesday I meet a dealer in various timbers at an auction.

Hope to help, Mick
    Thanks for the offer Mick, if I get stuck I will get in touch.
    Have my eye on an Americal Black Walnut blank at the moment but it's a bit pricey, (£75?) also another cheaper hardwood blank (unknown wood) (£40)
    The beech shouldn't be too hard to source locally - just missed out on some recently - I could have kicked myself!

ASM

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    A bit pricey at £75? If you like it buy it. Walnut is not cheap, i remember a few years ago at the game fair, a gunmaker had a plank of superb exibition grade quality english walnut, it was about 5ft long & 18" wide & you could get two full length rifle stocks plus a couple of shotgun stocks & fore ends from it. His dad had acquired it many years before & he was waiting for the right comission to use it.
    Holland & Holland had allegedly offered £10,000 for that chunk of timber & he had turned them down.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    A bit pricey at £75?
    yeah, seems very fair...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks for the offer Mick, if I get stuck I will get in touch.
    Have my eye on an Americal Black Walnut blank at the moment but it's a bit pricey, (£75?) also another cheaper hardwood blank (unknown wood) (£40)
    The beech shouldn't be too hard to source locally - just missed out on some recently - I could have kicked myself!

ASM
    No probs. I'll speak to my man about it anyway I know he had some black walnut a while ago but don't think the thickness was there. If I take my airsporter along he'll see exactly what I'm looking for.

If there's anything suitable at an attractive price I might take something to MM next month.

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

I think £75 for the right stock is reasonable.
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as I'm planning something a bit similar, hopefully starting in December or early next year.

Mk3 or Mk4 Airsporter
    Walnut stock, full Stutzen length, with tyrolean cheek piece set for a 32mm scope
    Rosewood pistol grip and forend caps
    All metal satin polished, then black nickel plated. (Satin polishing first should give a good mix of matt black finish but a bit shiny in the right light)

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    I think £75 for the right stock is reasonable.
    Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as I'm planning something a bit similar, hopefully starting in December or early next year.

Mk3 or Mk4 Airsporter
    Walnut stock, full Stutzen length, with tyrolean cheek piece set for a 32mm scope
    Rosewood pistol grip and forend caps
    All metal satin polished, then black nickel plated. (Satin polishing first should give a good mix of matt black finish but a bit shiny in the right light)
    Sounds good mate - go for it, I love to hear of guys refurbishing older Airsporters!

ASM

Blackrider is online now It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Yes seen all those pics before John, yes and I'm in love with the tiger striped Mk1 as you probably know!

ASM
    So am I !
    “An airgun or two”………