Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What spring for .25" HW80 non FAC?

What spring for .25" HW80 non FAC?

Hello chaps and ladies,
    Another HW80 spring thread I am afraid.

I am trying to to decide what to do with my HW80. One thing I heard/read is that they work in .25" but what sort of spring is needed for this? A factory spring or something else?

I am also curious why it works, is it as simple as a big heavy piston works with a big heavy slug?

Cheers Rich (a boinger tinkering novice)
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The spring is always secondary when it comes to power, the swept volume is your first concern! With a 30mm bore and 80mm stroke you will be up in the 20ft/lb region when everything is working at its optimum. I have reduced the stroke of my 80's by 15mm with nose extensions, this brings it back to a 65mm stroke, exactly the same as the HW35 (spit) which is famed for its manners at sub 12 levels. It has a higher SCR so a softer cycle is to be expected from the start, you can then just run the strongest spring you want without breaking the limit.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The spring is always secondary when it comes to power, the swept volume is your first concern! With a 30mm bore and 80mm stroke you will be up in the 20ft/lb region when everything is working at its optimum. I have reduced the stroke of my 80's by 15mm with nose extensions, this brings it back to a 65mm stroke, exactly the same as the HW35 (spit) which is famed for its manners at sub 12 levels. It has a higher SCR so a softer cycle is to be expected from the start, you can then just run the strongest spring you want without breaking the limit.
    Aah the many mysteries of springer tuning i have yet to get to grips with. Much reading and research required. Then it will be time for diving in and giving it a go with the expectation of learning even more from making a few mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Aah the many mysteries of springer tuning i have yet to get to grips with. Much reading and research required. Then it will be time for diving in and giving it a go with the expectation of learning even more from making a few mistakes
    Much reading do must you learn to springer master and the. (That was Yoda that was)

Much reading do must you learn to springer master and the. (That was Yoda that was)
    Next time I play with a powerful spring I will be sure to exclaim "the force is strong in this one"

Or you've been on the juice again, Nick?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Or you've been on the juice again, Nick?
    Not on a school night!

Oops, I forgot; I'm off on Wednesdays.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Not on a school night!
    Sicko!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I'm bit curious now as to why someone like yourself who has probably had the opportunity to own, or has owned, most HW rifles, would go to the trouble of short-stroking an 80 as above to make it optimum to sub-12ftlb, rather than just tuning a 35 or 95 with the swept volume already optimised. Is is because the 80 is then so sedate that you get favourable shot cycle, recoil and hence accuracy?
    A Soldier's time is spent in distress and danger, or in idleness and corruption.
    HW80K, HW35, BSA Lightning XL, BSA Mercury Mk1

Quote Originally Posted by dalesman917 View Post
    I'm bit curious now as to why someone like yourself who has probably had the opportunity to own, or has owned, most HW rifles, would go to the trouble of short-stroking an 80 as above to make it optimum to sub-12ftlb, rather than just tuning a 35 or 95 with the swept volume already optimised. Is is because the 80 is then so sedate that you get favourable shot cycle, recoil and hence accuracy?
    The 80 is iconic, imo everyone should have one! With the 65mm stroke it is very nice to shoot, not the same as any other HW, but then every one of them is different.

I have at least one of everything and have optimised them all, without that knowledge and experience I couldn't do what I do properly.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    You shouldn't need a new spring.

If you do it will need cutting so.

Just try it with what you have now and cut off or add some preload.

It might be perfect.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by dalesman917 View Post
    It isn't always about having the perfect gun. You can tune an 80 to shoot like a 35, but you can't tune a 35 to be as inherently awesome as an 80. You can't measure it by efficiency or recoil

Quote Originally Posted by cooper_dan View Post
    It isn't always about having the perfect gun. You can tune an 80 to shoot like a 35, but you can't tune a 35 to be as inherently awesome as an 80. You can't measure it by efficiency or recoil

Where's my "Like" button? This man know his onions!

Like! Like! Like! Like!

HW80. 25Cal

My Venom maglaza in .25 cal runs at 11.4 and is a joy to shoot. Give the big cal a try...you may just like It? Small vermin don't!!! Mach 1.5