Thread: Ppks

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Ppks

My PPK has developed a fault, which I think can only be remedied with a new frame. The part at the bottom of the grip, where the CO2 bulb screw goes through has become distorted, so now, when you screw in the bolt to pierce the CO2 bulb, the bulb skews off to one side, and seems unsafe.
    Has anyone got a knackered PPK they want rid of? Not much bothered what's wrong with it, so long as the grip/frame is still good.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Thread

If you had a tap and ie set you could rethread this - sounds like something ie the alloy thread has sheared off and jammed inside the threads .
    A magnifying glass/ toothpick and a steady hand could give emergency treatment to unpick the loose thread .

stagmanv835 is offline i tend to drink while on the bbs
    Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    My PPK has developed a fault, which I think can only be remedied with a new frame. The part at the bottom of the grip, where the CO2 bulb screw goes through has become distorted, so now, when you screw in the bolt to pierce the CO2 bulb, the bulb skews off to one side, and seems unsafe.
    Has anyone got a knackered PPK they want rid of? Not much bothered what's wrong with it, so long as the grip/frame is still good.
    Mine did this years ago

works fine just a bugger to get the grip back on !
    You only have the rights you are willing to fight for

Quote Originally Posted by stagmanv835 View Post
    Mine did this years ago

works fine just a bugger to get the grip back on !
    It's a bit disconcerting. Every time I screw the bulb in it seems to seat at a crazier angle than last time. I've got visions of piercing the bulb and launching a little CO2 powered rocket into the floor or myself
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

It's a bit disconcerting. Every time I screw the bulb in it seems to seat at a crazier angle than last time. I've got visions of piercing the bulb and launching a little CO2 powered rocket into the floor or myself
    Think a thread has dethreded and is now chewing into the walls .
    Have you removed the nut and tried - a school divider point ( one sharp end of a divider ) may be stronger as this alloy these things are made off is tough and then some .

Seems to be a common problem.
    Mine done the same also.

I initially pulled the plastics off to expose the nut, and placed a shim between the nut and the frame.
    It worked for a few bulbs, then failed again.

Took a hammer to the bottom of the frame, and bent it back in.
    Not tried another bulb yet, but I suspect the frame is now weakened to a point it will just do it again

I think I have to take the blame though, as I suspect over-tightening the thumb screw is the reason for the damage
    If you get the plastic cover off the bottom that the thumb screw goes through, all should become clear. Look at the bottom of the frame for it flaring out.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Jimny4x4 View Post
    Think a thread has dethreded and is now chewing into the walls .
    Have you removed the nut and tried - a school divider point ( one sharp end of a divider ) may be stronger as this alloy these things are made off is tough and then some .
    It's not a thread issue; threads on both the nut and bolt are perfect. The bottom of the frame where the nut sits is distorted, so as you screw the piercing bolt up, the nut slips into the bent section of the frame, skewing the bulb out to the side. It's much easier to see than it is to explain

Quote Originally Posted by Andy 01 View Post
    Took a hammer to the bottom of the frame, and bent it back in.
    Not tried another bulb yet, but I suspect the frame is now weakened to a point it will just do it again
    Andy
    Tried that too, you're right, the frame just distorts again as soon as any pressure bears on it.
    This may now be relegated to "wall-hanger" status.

Tried that too, you're right, the frame just distorts again as soon as any pressure bears on it.
    This may now be relegated to "wall-hanger" status.
    My PPK/S classic sadly did the same thing after tens of thousands of BBs. I managed to get it back into shape but eventually the same thing kept on coming back.

It was still shootable and I carried on shooting it until the barrel housing sheared away from the frame at which point it was binned.

It was a great little gun up until that point.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I need to take mine to bits again to familiarise myself again with how its set up. It was a while ago I bashed it back into shape

Rattling ideas round in my head, thought about replacing the nut with a piece of steel, then drill/tap for the thumb screw.
    If memory serves me correct, I don't think it had a lot of space to do that ??

What about filling the void round the nut with something like liquid metal ??
    I'm just thinking of ways to spread the load, so all the force is not pushed down on the nut, and consequentially bending the frame.

I'll strip it again and have a proper look when I get a moment. I'm sure the key is in distributing the load if I can see a way to do that.

Andy