Thread: Toxic fumes from ammunition and air cleaning systems.

Toxic fumes from ammunition and air cleaning systems.

A recent bout of chest infection has prompted me to consider a representation to my club to install an air filtration/ cleaning system on our indoor ranges.

Has anyone been down this route before perhaps?

I need to gather evidence of the toxicity of firearm ammunition fumes, lead dust ect. and present it to our committee and perhaps some costings of appropriate solutions.

Simon
    Last edited by Sundance; 06-09-2017 at 05:13 PM.

The ventilation in a range should pull fresh outside air in to the firing end of the range and suck the fumes out down at the target end. I doubt this is the cause unless your ventilation isn't up to scratch.

As an aside, I get my lead levels checked every quarter and even though it goes up and down it is always well within the safe limits and the ups do not coincide with periods of more intense range work.

ETA: I don't think there is a requirement to filter the air as the shooters are breathing the air fresh from outside. If the range is next to a busy road then the air might be more toxic but it'd be no worse in the range or walking along the road.
    Making the club fit filtration system to the ventilation and have the filters changed regularly will increase their costs and thereby the cost of membership etc, for no gain in air quality. This could only make it more expensive for shooters and let's face it shooting is expensive enough already. Now if the ventilation system is substandard then it would be a service to get it fixed and it should be done asap.
    Last edited by sarge4318; 01-09-2017 at 05:29 PM.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    A recent bout of chest infection has prompted me to consider a representation to my club to install an air filtration system on our indoor ranges.

Has anyone been down this route before perhaps?

I need to gather evidence of the toxicity of firearm ammunition fumes, lead dust ect. and present it to our committee and perhaps some costings of appropriate solutions.

Simon
    I'd be very interested in the responses to this very good question, as the extraction system at our indoor range may as well be non-existent, especially when the black powder people start letting rip.....

Surely there must be some form of legislation for this scenario.

Two threads sorry

Check out same thread on the rimfire, centre fire section.

Lots of good advice on there.
    The legislation is apparently Health Safety Work Act 1974, Control of Lead at Work Regs 2002, and Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.

Cheers
    Simon
    Last edited by Sundance; 06-09-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
    I'd be very interested in the responses to this very good question, as the extraction system at our indoor range may as well be non-existent, especially when the black powder people start letting rip.....

Surely there must be some form of legislation for this scenario.

Pengo - does your club allow the use of BP on an indoor range?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Pengo - does your club allow the use of BP on an indoor range?
    Yes. At least I think it's black powder. It certainly belches out enough flames and smoke to make anyone think there's a resident dragon!!!!

Although I know some use the Swiss reloading powder (at least I think that's what it's called), which is supposed to be "less harmful"!!!!!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
    Yes. At least I think it's black powder. It certainly belches out enough flames and smoke to make anyone think there's a resident dragon!!!!

Although I know some use the Swiss reloading powder (at least I think that's what it's called), which is supposed to be "less harmful"!!!!!
    It's probably Pyrodex or one of the other BP substitutes. These actually produce a lot less smoke than BP. BP is really dodgy on an indoor range. Unless it is washed down after each use the unburned powder builds up and becomes an explosion hazard - and you can't vacuum it up unless you have a really really expensive cleaner rated for explosive atmospheres. Bit concerned at your mention of Swiss though - AFAIK that is a brand of BP. Suggest that you have a discreet chat with the club committee.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL