Thread: Sheridan bluestreak. 20 advice please

Sheridan bluestreak. 20 advice please

HI there could anyone help me with information date and valuation on this Sheridan bluestreak . 20 walnut stocked multi pump rifle in good condition just the odd usage mark but generally very good condition.
    Serial no 473982
    C series made in usa
    Thanks
    A CUP WITHOUT A HANDLE IS A BOWL BUT A HANDLE WITHOUT A BOWL IS USELESS

post 85

re: serial number?

Hi Ian, are you sure you read the number correctly? I may be wrong, but I think the 3rd & 4th digits should denote the year of manufacture. Could you have miss-read the 3 for an 8? this would make it 1989 hope this helps regards Al.

HI there the serial is definitely correct I double checked it... So could it be the last 2 digits making it 1982?

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Hi Ian, are you sure you read the number correctly? I may be wrong, but I think the 3rd & 4th digits should denote the year of manufacture. Could you have miss-read the 3 for an 8? this would make it 1989 hope this helps regards Al.
    473982 was definitely manufactured in 1986.

The type of serial number you mention was introduced only after Crosman acquired Benjamin/Sheridan -- first digit = month, next two digits = year, final six digits = serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    473982 was definitely manufactured in 1986.

The type of serial number you mention was introduced only after Crosman acquired Benjamin/Sheridan -- first digit = month, next two digits = year, final six digits = serial number.

Yes. To be really pedantic, Crosman acquired Sheridan in something like the mid-70s. But Sheridan continued to use their serial number ranges, until (from memory) Crosman shut the Sheridan factory (in Racine) in 1992 or so, at which point the guns made as Sheridans adopted the Crosman format.

Oh dear, I think I might be a nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Yes. To be really pedantic, Crosman acquired Sheridan in something like the mid-70s. But Sheridan continued to use their serial number ranges, until (from memory) Crosman shut the Sheridan factory (in Racine) in 1992 or so, at which point the guns made as Sheridans adopted the Crosman format.

Oh dear, I think I might be a nerd.
    You and me both!

To be really pedantic, the Sheridan serial numbers are stamped, whereas the Crosman serial numbers are of the matrix-dot type.

I've got two Sheridans then!
    These are appealing little rifles that aren't too bad to pump.
    Good wood too.

Benjamin acquired Sheridan in 76 and made some changes to the c series crosman then bought Benjamin in 91/92
    early bluestreaks post 64 had a date stamp on the breech which then changed to a serial number around 72 which enables you to date them
    crosman serial numbers allowed dating after july 75 and used the first digits of the serial number
    the serial number chart on the crosman sight only runs to 85 but a chap in the US has done some research and has collected serial no datng till the end of the c series run around 89-90

Thanks for all your help people

Mine are
    The 40 is silver with a Williams peepsight.
    Nice buy though I say it myself.

silver has been on my to get list for a while I may even get a nickel plating tank set up and do one of my bluestreaks that has been stripped to brass(not my doing)