View Poll Results: Considering my pros/cons for each, which of these 3 rifles would you buy?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • BSA R10SE Super Carbine

8 33.33%
  • Weihrauch HW110

8 33.33%
  • Air Arms S510K

8 33.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another 'which rifle' thread...

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....

Another 'which rifle' thread...

Ok, I know these have been done countless times and it's likely I'll end up with something completely bloody different anyway but....

I'm soon to be going back to a PCP rifle and have narrowed my choice to three. I'll list them below with some pros/cons as I see it but essentially whatever I get will be .177 calibre and used for both pest control & targets (not competition) at a club.

In no order of preference then:

1. BSA R10SE Super Carbine.
    Pros- Short, light, quiet, regulated, plenty of shots per charge, multishot but single shot loading available.
    Cons- Still reports of regulator reliability, prefer the side-lever cocking of the other two to the 'bolas' bolt.

2. Weihrauch HW110.
    Pros- Short, light, super quiet, regulated, plenty of shots per charge, side lever cocking.
    Cons- Fiddly mag changes, some reliability issues, NO SINGLE SHOT OPTION.

3. Air Arms S510K.
    Pros- Had two of them before so I know I like the handling, accuracy, reliability & side lever cocking. Single shot adaptor available.
    Cons- Not as short as other two, not as quiet unless mod added which makes it too long (imo), no regulator meaning a 'curve' & less shots per charge.

The above 'cons' points are really nit-picking and I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them. That said, I was leaning heavily towards the HW110 but the main reason I'm undecided is that the lack of a single shot adaptor/loading option means it could be a PITA for club shooting. Does anyone use a HW110 for HFT or general club shooting?

I've added a poll so you can vote for your favourite if you like, but comments as to why & your experience with whichever particular rifle would be appreciated. And yes, I've done a search and exhausted pretty much all reading/reviews I've found.

Cheers in advance...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Have you actually held any of the above rifles??
    Master Debater

From what you've written in pros and cons - I'd give an HW100k some serious consideration.

Good luck with your choice

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Have you actually held any of the above rifles??
    Yes, I've owned two S510's previously; did you actually read the post?

I've also held both versions of the R10SE (hence my stated preference for the carbine) in a shop and I'll be getting hands on a HW110 this coming week, although having owned both full length & carbine HW100 previously I'm 99% sure it'll 'fit'.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    From what you've written in pros and cons - I'd give an HW100k some serious consideration.

Good luck with your choice
    Cheers mate, it's still edging favourite at the mo (price helps that too!) but it's just the fact there's no single shot adaptor that puts me off slightly. I've heard that some clubs frown on purely multi-shot rifles...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

can i pick all 3 ? lol cos there all very good.

I like Air Arms, never had any problems with the ones I had.
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    can i pick all 3 ? lol cos there all very good.
    No you're only allowed one. I can't afford to buy you all 3...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

How come you have the HW110 on your list rather than the HW100? IMO opinion the HW100 is far superior and the single shot loader is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotherham Owl View Post
    How come you have the HW110 on your list rather than the HW100? IMO opinion the HW100 is far superior and the single shot loader is excellent.
    Basically because the 110 is slightly shorter/lighter but offers a better shot count than the 100k. Oh and it's well over 100squids less...

I like the 100 though so it's not completely ruled out, just not in my top 3.
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyBob View Post
    Cheers mate, it's still edging favourite at the mo (price helps that too!) but it's just the fact there's no single shot adaptor that puts me off slightly. I've heard that some clubs frown on purely multi-shot rifles...
    The 110 is nice rifle at a good price

The non single shot thing is a pain during competitions - I don't do much HFT but, I did a competition recently and had to keep removing the mag, risking a dry fire.

All of the above.

Out of those listed my heart says BSA but my head voted for the HW.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

HW and an easy decision ��
    Sorry misread it, thought it was HW 100, Air arms is my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Out of those listed my heart says BSA but my head voted for the HW.
    My heart also says BSA (I've a soft spot for BSA, especially the older stuff like the Mercury and, on PCP front, the Superten K) BUT...

Head was saying AA S510, prior to this poll. The reason being mainly that I've had a couple before and know they work well, despite not having a regulator. I used to fill to around 170bar which made it pretty consistent and bloody accurate, and it also helps that I loved the looks, sidelever cocking and it has a single shot adaptor available.

That said, more shots are always good and that shrouded barrel, whilst not exactly noisy, isn't a patch on a silenced HW. I could of course get the S510 regulated but, when sticking to comparing brand new rifles that would mean an already 'not cheap' rifle becoming even more expensive than the already 'good value' HW110.

So, given the HW110 is also quite a bit cheaper to buy new than the other two and ticks the vast majority of boxes, it should be a no-brainer... But I keep coming back to the lack of SS adaptor.

Which brings me back to the R10SE. It like the looks & the fit. It has plenty of shots and all reviews I've read/watched indicate excellent accuracy. The price is just within budget and it has an all important SS adaptor available. Which basically just leaves the continuing reports of reg reliability to 'put me off', albeit with a brand new rifle at least there'll be a warranty.

At the minute BSA is edging it for me from the S510, although if someone hurries up and makes a SS adaptor for the HW110 it'll be all change...
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

I am sure that if HW never offer a single shot adapter someone else will.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)