Thread: Dating a Relum tornado

Dating a Relum tornado

Bought one yesterday for my sins, missing it's open sights, but shoots quite well, the trigger is excellent, made in Hungary stamped. How do you know if it's an early one or later model and what years were they produced. Hoping to swop Spring to a Titan no7 shortened and fit a guide somehow? would rather keep the leather piston seal maybe soak in neats foot oil, the replacement idea is a bit pricey considering the value. It seems well made by today's standard. Any other ideas apart from binning it would be appreciated

The Super Tornado (LG 15) was introduced in 1978 as a replacement for the Tornado. Early 1960's models (LG 322) had a more slender stock and metal butt plate according to Hiller. First models were fitted with three mainsprings, one inner and two outer thin mainsprings instead of two main springs one inside the other. First models 322 were produced without serial numbers.

Dating Relum Tonado

As previously said eariler models had the sporter type stock (try looking on Proteks site for eg) really quite a stylish "classic" type, the earliest had a tapered barrel a la Webly Mk III, and rather smart flip up rear sights and solid front sight in steel (not the cast type found on the later super tornado). The later models had the famillier deep bellied stock which was I would guess a rough copy of the Walther match rifle. There was also a "reduced cost" model called the zodiac which was fitted with the same stock as the break barrel range, the price diferential was iirc about £3.00 or so (in 1969 ish). I personally love em, as I do any solid 50's-60's guns, they do respond to tuning really quite well and (depending on tap fitment) are inherently accurate, but the tap fitting is critical & can almost always need some work but well worth the time.
    Enjoy H

Relum Tornado

I had one of these in the early 70s - I think it was about £15gbp at the time. My income was £16 gbp.having shot webley and tornado etc this was an awful gun
    i

Quote Originally Posted by fraserhardmetal View Post
    I had one of these in the early 70s - I think it was about £15gbp at the time. My income was £16 gbp.having shot webley and tornado etc this was an awful gun
    i
    Welcome aboard.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yes indeed, welcome.

Cool badger5148

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Bought one yesterday for my sins, missing it's open sights, but shoots quite well, the trigger is excellent, made in Hungary stamped. How do you know if it's an early one or later model and what years were they produced. Hoping to swop Spring to a Titan no7 shortened and fit a guide somehow? would rather keep the leather piston seal maybe soak in neats foot oil, the replacement idea is a bit pricey considering the value. It seems well made by today's standard. Any other ideas apart from binning it would be appreciated
    where are you taking it on your first date

Quote Originally Posted by badger5148 View Post
    where are you taking it on your first date
    I got it with intentions of a back garden plinker, after a fettle even with a tired mainspring I obtained impressive grouping at 15yards with jsb, the trigger is excellent very crisp with no creep. I don't understand the bad press these guns recieve. It's much better made than meteors of the same age and better quality than modern cheapies. The power isn't the best but for plinking it's fine. Unfortunately I usually use silenced co2 in the garden and the Relum is too noisy for nosey neighbours, so I've decided to sell it.