Thread: Vulcan Mk1 .22

Vulcan Mk1 .22

After searching here and there for a decent Vulcan, I eventually one found me on here in the Sales Section

So now I have another rifle in my collection and this one is a Mk1 Vulcan in .22 calibre.

The rifle is complete with original sights and is in very good condition for its age. It doesn't look like it's been taken apart or serviced in any way as the screws are unmarked and all look original

The stock has the odd superficial mark here and there, and the metal work is also in extremely good condition with no fading on the barrel or rust / pitting anywhere

I'll fire some shots over the chrono later to check the power, but judging by the effort needed to cock it, it feels like the spring still has plenty of life left in it, albeit it could do with a lube

More to follow later .......
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    After searching here and there for a decent Vulcan, I eventually one found me on here in the Sales Section

So now I have another rifle in my collection and this one is a Mk1 Vulcan in .22 calibre.

The rifle is complete with original sights and is in very good condition for its age. It doesn't look like it's been taken apart or serviced in any way as the screws are unmarked and all look original

The stock has the odd superficial mark here and there, and the metal work is also in extremely good condition with no fading on the barrel or rust / pitting anywhere

I'll fire some shots over the chrono later to check the power, but judging by the effort needed to cock it, it feels like the spring still has plenty of life left in it, albeit it could do with a lube

More to follow later .......
    Can't wait to see it!!, I love Wobleys and have a few although I only have a Vulcan ks at the mo

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Super. Am a big fan of the Vulcan, as imho, notwithstanding the use of a roll pin at the breech pivot instead of a breech bolt so as to save production pennies (why oh why did Webley do that ??? ), the Vulcan, particularly the Mk.I, was a real land mark air rifle, not only for Webley & Scott, but for British air guns, as straight from the box, the Vulcan could muster upwards of 11ft.lb unfettled.

During the launch of the Webley & Scott Vulcan (first models weren't referred to as the Mk.I until the Mk.II went into production three years later), the factory produced 110 Special Edition versions wearing high-grade walnut stocks, and with gold plated trigger and safety catch levers.

So as not to be confused with the other walnut versions of the Vulcan that Webley were also producing as an up-market mass produced up-grade item at that time, these Special Edition Vulcans (oft referred to as The Vulcan SE), were given a fresh serial number range starting with a nine (9).

So if you are shown an alleged Vulcan SE check the serial number, because if it doesn't start with a nine (9), it is not one of the 110 that Webley & Scott produced, merely a doppelgänger, most likely cobbled together around one of the aforementioned run of the mill walnut Vulcans ...

Oh, by the way, I own an authentic Webley & Scott Vulcan Special Edition one of 110 in .22 and its boxed in its original box, with all the original bits and pieces it came with when new, too (gloat boast gloat ) ...

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 03-09-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: to ad the bit about the Mk.I not being called the Mk.I until the Mk.II came out.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    That's interesting Gareth, My Wife has a couple of Vulcans (one bought from a chap off here) Ones a Deluxe model with a Walnut stock - very nice! The other I think may be an SE model - has a shorter Karbine barrel, it's fitted with a gas ram convertion, I think it may have a walnut stock too. not sure what the serial number is - it's buried in her cupboard and there's no way I'm delving in there to check, Ill get her to dig it out and we can check if the serial starts with a 9.

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

...and thanks for all the comments and interesting info Gareth.

Some brief chrono results using a R2A - 10 shots with each make of pellet.....

RWS Hobby
    Average velocity 617 fps
    Average energy 10 ft.lbs

RWS Superdome
    Average velocity 568 fps
    Average energy 10.39 ft.lbs

Milbro Caledonian
    Average velocity 568 fps
    Average energy 10.14 ft.lbs

H&N FTT
    Average velocity 557 fps
    Average energy 10.11 ft.lbs

Looking at those results, it looks like the power is down from what one should expect.

Inside, we can see that it looks drier than a Nuns Nasty with bits of fluff and durge http://imgur.com/a/P4I4C

From photos of the outside http://imgur.com/a/LJXxq

Buttpad with cracking to the side and hardly any wear on the bottom http://imgur.com/a/27POS

I'll leave things as they are at the moment and when I have some spare time, I'll strip it down and relube it. Hopefully that will bring up the power levels a bit more
    Last edited by Paul SE; 05-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Super. Am a big fan of the Vulcan, as imho, notwithstanding the use of a roll pin at the breech pivot instead of a breech bolt so as to save production pennies (why oh why did Webley do that ??? ), the Vulcan, particularly the Mk.I, was a real land mark air rifle, not only for Webley & Scott, but for British air guns, as straight from the box, the Vulcan could muster upwards of 11ft.lb unfettled.

During the launch of the Webley & Scott Vulcan (first models weren't referred to as the Mk.I until the Mk.II went into production three years later), the factory produced 110 Special Edition versions wearing high-grade walnut stocks, and with gold plated trigger and safety catch levers.

So as not to be confused with the other walnut versions of the Vulcan that Webley were also producing as an up-market mass produced up-grade item at that time, these Special Edition Vulcans (oft referred to as The Vulcan SE), were given a fresh serial number range starting with a nine (9).

So if you are shown an alleged Vulcan SE check the serial number, because if it doesn't start with a nine (9), it is not one of the 110 that Webley & Scott produced, merely a doppelgänger, most likely cobbled together around one of the aforementioned run of the mill walnut Vulcans ...

Oh, by the way, I own an authentic Webley & Scott Vulcan Special Edition one of 110 in .22 and its boxed in its original box, with all the original bits and pieces it came with when new, too (gloat boast gloat ) ...

Any idea when my KS came on to the scene Gareth? I tend to think it's one of the last incarnations

John

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

Any idea when my KS came on to the scene Gareth? I tend to think it's one of the last incarnations
    Afternoon John. Yes, the Vulcan KS came about towards the end of the Vulcan run as a late version of the Mk.III and are a lovely rifle.

Shortly after the KS variant was release, however, the Vulcan was replaced by the Stingray model -- yet another superb range of Webley rifles.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up

Afternoon John. Yes, the Vulcan KS came about towards the end of the Vulcan run as a late version of the Mk.III and are a lovely rifle. Shortly after the KS variant was release, however, the Vulcan was replaced by the Stingray model -- yet another superb range of Webley rifles.
    Ahh! Thanks Gareth

John

Afternoon John. Yes, the Vulcan KS came about towards the end of the Vulcan run as a late version of the Mk.III and are a lovely rifle.

Shortly after the KS variant was release, however, the Vulcan was replaced by the Stingray model -- yet another superb range of Webley rifles.
    Spot on. The KS was introduced in late 1995.