Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used airgun market slow?

Quote Originally Posted by ken69 View Post
    Definitely think the market is slow. Plus the fact there is a lot of people who want things for next to nothing. One example is the Prosport for sale on here at the moment (and I have nothing to do with the seller or have any interest in the rifle as I already have one). New gun £589 at a well known West Coast shop, cheapest comparable gun on Guntrader £460. Offered on here for £350 with adjustable buttpad, Rowan trigger and a brass trigger guard and no takers. It looks a snip to me
    I totally agree But also people are more strapped for money these days and plays a part of slow sales, for the buyer anyway. The postage ban was the biggest gripe, it has restrictions on choice. A few of my air rifles were bought and sent through the post, now I don't have that option so I don't buy. Prices people want are too optimistic in most cases and as already said even fair priced stuff don't seem to sell either? I blame it on Brix-it, everything else is
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

It's not just sellers asking too much, it's also buyers expecting a year old mint condition gun for half what it cost new

Both sides need to be realistic about the value.

Pricing second hand is difficult. I've always worked on about 2/3, or 70%, of new price, surmising the gun is still "as new". That means a £600 gun should be about £400. The problem comes when selling it on again. Does it still retain The £400 second hand price tag, or should the seller apply the 2/3 rule to what they paid for it, making it £270? Sold again should it be £180? How often should the 2/3 rule be applied. And how does the buyer know how many previous owners the gun has had.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    Pricing second hand is difficult. I've always worked on about 2/3, or 70%, of new price, surmising the gun is still "as new". That means a £600 gun should be about £400. The problem comes when selling it on again. Does it still retain The £400 second hand price tag, or should the seller apply the 2/3 rule to what they paid for it, making it £270? Sold again should it be £180? How often should the 2/3 rule be applied. And how does the buyer know how many previous owners the gun has had.
    The market always dictates price. If you have a desirable gun, and there are fewer available, you will get a better price. The weak pound may also have an influence- expect new gun prices to go up as the pound moves closer to parity with the Euro - and used gun prices to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The market always dictates price. If you have a desirable gun, and there are fewer available, you will get a better price. The weak pound may also have an influence- expect new gun prices to go up as the pound moves closer to parity with the Euro - and used gun prices to follow.
    Agreed, but I was talking about a bog standard gun available to buy new at a dealership.

People seem to have a very liberal understanding of mint.
    I did laugh at the guy wanting £950 for a mk1 daystate wolverine. You can pick up 2nd hand mk2's for that price from a dealer with the peace of mind it brings

A desirable collectors rifle still demand good prices; mint or boxed even more so. Well used far less though some people are asking loads. Say a mint FWB Sport £300 sure; but well used second hand should be under £200, but many ask more. A whole swath of well used should be under £150, some under a hundred. Much hardly worth selling after postage.

Modern rifles then 2/3rds the price from walking out of the shop. That 2/3rd should be good for a while if condition is kept. Eventually going to 1/2. One day, once out of production, then they might see an increase if collectable desirable...30 years time.

Lots of nearly new, or only had for a few months, rifles come up. Your dream machine has to be someone else's too. Well configured and those with high reputations do better. Walnut holds the market better.

If marked up then price in freefall to 1/2 straight off. Mint or excellent then just a good whack. Thing is some people buy at full or close to retail when a discount shop does them 20% off to start. All goes very wrong then. Some people think they can ask for near what they paid; doesn't work like that; they wouldn't expect it on a second hand car so why for a rifle?
    Loads of guns to choose from. Price sensitive for sure but also finding a buyer when the buyer is flush. Many buyers are paying off summer holidays.
    There is a strong market. Its not always instantaneous, some rifles will always take a while to find a buyer. Price sensitive sure but sometimes discounting just isn't going to make a lot of difference as timing is just as important. Some luck involved too.
    Fashion, loads of rifle go in and out of fashion. Some go out and then bounce back when its realised they are actually rather good and possibly better than the new stuff. Others just get little interest.

Anyhow, I think the market is strong, just think everyone needs to be a little more realistic.

I have just sold two collectors scopes very well having marketed them twice before with no luck even after discounting. I got full whack. Timings and luck.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbean View Post
    Think we are rather far apart as I am in East Angria!
    But for the record what is the serial no so I can check build date. And if you like pm me your price indication.
    You never know.....if the price is right. As Brucie used to say.
    Cheers ....have fun .....
    Will do- just got back from a long journey so I'll pm you tomorrow. Tell you what pm me an e-mail address to use and I'll send you photos as well.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    IMOP people are asking too much for everything.

Agreed. Coupled together with the fact that people don't seem to research the going rates (buyer and seller).

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I have always thought that some people (maybe those new to the sport) are taken in by the deals offered. You know Gun, £1000 scope £ 300 bipod £100 case £100 yours for £1100. 6 months later they decide to sell but use the£1500 as their starting point when all the experienced shooters know that the £1100 is the true new value

Pete
    Pete

Thats virtually where I was recently. Seller wanted £1100 for year old Wcat with a few extras I did not need when my local dealer offers new for sub £1k plus the usual extras. I can get what I want brand new for the same as the vendor wantsfor,a year old version.
    sit this out for the time being.
    Have fun

I think the private seller market has a problem, in that credit cant be offered as with s/h sales at a RFD, so the market is reduced to those few who have the readies

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The price of Brexit, that some voted for

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbean View Post
    Been looking for a used Wildcat for some time now and its surprising how many seem to have been for sale for several months now.
    Has the market gone really slow or are people asking too much?
    I you want to sell a 177 Wildcat ....try me
    Have fun
    I have one I need to move on. Not sure if I should sell the filling kit with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    The price of Brexit, that some voted for
    There was no brexit in 2008 when the GBP/EUR rate was the same