Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used airgun market slow?

That will make them bring up the slogan on that Bus again!

Mmmm....not just our collectable air rifles, but, even old rusty tin-plate Honda Benlys that need total restoration, or, the humble old BSA Bantam. BSA Gold Stars and Rocket Gold Stars advertised often have Price On Application (POA) as the asking price by the seller is too embarrassing to advertise.....Hell, after a day shooting a classic carbine springer and a stiff limb from cocking, even the local Thai massage shop prices for an hour relief have doubled in the last year or so....Austerity indeed, maybe they think we are on golden pensions from the likes of the BBC, the evil EU, council execs, NHS execs......

Best regards to all.....
    Last edited by SRV1; 04-09-2017 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling...

Just been prowling round a few gunshops. One ad stood out in particular. Second hand hw99s, admittedly with a welsh willy tuning kit fitted and an uninspiring Hawke scope, But £399!!!!!!!!! Twice the price of a brand new gun! Then we wonder where some private sellers get their prices from? You could buy a new gun, a tuning kit and a better brand new scope for a lot less than that.

I recently i sold my collection of 4 rifles, 2 pcps and 2 springers, these were more 'common' or 'regularly available' rifles on the second hand market. (HW99s .177 HW95k .22 Compatto .177 Ultra Se .22)

All of these took months to sell, i priced them reasonably to compete with the cheapest like for likes currently on the second hand market, yet everyone still wanted to offer half the asking price. Eventually sold all 4, the 99 i got my asking price but i forked out the £25 postage cost, the Hw95 i got my asking price but i had to drive it to the buyers house, the compatto took a £100 hit and the Ultra went to a forum member who i had delt with before, he just wanted a honest rifle and gave me my asking price as he knew it was going to be on the money.

I then gathered all my sales money, added my savings and held out for 2 more special PCP's.

Now i happened to land 2 corkers within minutes of them coming up and paid the asking price, several other people took second dibs on them and ive had private messages from other parties again about both rifles, to say that if i dont get on with them to give them a ring and il get my money back.

I think it all depends on both the availability and how desirable a rifle is, and at times how trusted the seller is to deliver what they promised.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    Just been prowling round a few gunshops. One ad stood out in particular. Second hand hw99s, admittedly with a welsh willy tuning kit fitted and an uninspiring Hawke scope, But £399!!!!!!!!! Twice the price of a brand new gun! Then we wonder where some private sellers get their prices from? You could buy a new gun, a tuning kit and a better brand new scope for a lot less than that.
    I bought a bought .22lr off a member on here for £50 .it was made in 1990 but was as new as the day as it was made.

My local shop has two of them in. Both look like they have been used to knock in fence posts . One has sling studs fitted and they are almost perfect in the stock. The other one has the front sling stud in the side of the stock. And the rear one under the pistol grip area. A total mess.

Fitted with cheap walther scopes and battered SAK moderators . Both priced at £450 each.

A battered hw99s. No scope . Looks like it's been run over with a tank. The stock looks like it has a hammered finish (like hammerite paint texture ) rusty patches all over the metal work and galling badly.

Price ?
    £220

Slow

Personally I feel theirs less used for sale than I've seen for a long time.
    I guess this in itself will give rise to prices.
    Some people will have strict values and won't pay a penny more yet others will buy it if they feel it's worth the money to them
    Gun shops have one used value ,forums another gunstar yet another then theirs the let's break it down and sell it on the bay and make a packet.

I personally have never sold air guns on a forum . What I have sold I never had to advertise either, generally people I know friends of friends
    I havnt forgotten I have been asked to look at selling one again month back , but looking after mom until her recent death has delayed my attentions to this.

I find theirs alot of people who are interested in older air guns from their youth maybe nostalgic that don't do forums .these have been my buyers mostly .

Ive bought quite a few rifles this year and sold quite a few as well. Some Ive paid top dollar for and have sold likewise. Ive picked up some absolute bargains and hopefully one today. So I've passed on the luck and sold some at bargain prices to make some people happy. Because of the numbers for me, its about balance.

At the moment i'm really interested in Theobens and building up a nice collection. I would also be collecting Venoms but they are too rare to satisfy my collecting requirements. When you factor in how much top models cost say 25 years ago, picking up a rare model, for the money they fetch now is a bargain. They are only going to rise significantly in the future. Ken69 points about the Prosport above are correct however, the seller should post on a wider market like Guntrader etc to make a sale perhaps. Or, at £360 I would think a dealer would buy it off him and mark up by £100 and sell with warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Old bean, my wildcat could be for sale. No scope but cased. Good condition, little used.
    Is it £1350
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

A bloke I know (not well) sent a message with a friend saying he had a gun for sale. It's a Kral. Don't know which model. He said he bought it new a while ago for £400. He wanted £350 for it. I tipped my hat to the worlds greatest comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by LESS THAN FORTUITOUS KENNETH View Post
    A bloke I know (not well) sent a message with a friend saying he had a gun for sale. It's a Kral. Don't know which model. He said he bought it new a while ago for £400. He wanted £350 for it. I tipped my hat to the worlds greatest comedian.
    On this forum and all over the net you see adds for guns with a spare magazine at prices you can buy the gun new for. Must be a very expensive spare magazine. One bloke on Free Ads usually has about six guns for sale and for example he wants £595 for an BSA R10 Mk2. Honestly "he isn't a dealer".
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I bought a bought .22lr off a member on here for £50 .it was made in 1990 but was as new as the day as it was made.

My local shop has two of them in. Both look like they have been used to knock in fence posts . One has sling studs fitted and they are almost perfect in the stock. The other one has the front sling stud in the side of the stock. And the rear one under the pistol grip area. A total mess.

Fitted with cheap walther scopes and battered SAK moderators . Both priced at £450 each.

A battered hw99s. No scope . Looks like it's been run over with a tank. The stock looks like it has a hammered finish (like hammerite paint texture ) rusty patches all over the metal work and galling badly.

Price ?
    £220
    Just to point out that if a 3 point sling was used, front slung across the chest, that's where the studs would be - it's where they are on one of mine

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Just to point out that if a 3 point sling was used, front slung across the chest, that's where the studs would be - it's where they are on one of mine
    That was my thought. What I forget to say was there was a hole in the usual place where most would fit a stud for a bipod. The one in the side was not in the side as such. It was between the side and the bottom. And not on a flat area.

Like it was put in the wrong place.

Like I did with an air gun years ago. Drilled it squint.

Next time I'm in I will see if it's still there. But the fact they were asking £450 was way way way over the top.

This is a pic of my hw99s stock. Where my finger is , is where the stud is on the rifle in question. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlsgmpgpn9...44943.jpg?dl=0
    I would need to look at my own version of the rifle to see how much wood there is on the side. Still ,it looks awful.
    Last edited by bighit; 07-09-2017 at 01:56 PM.

BBS used to be great for buying and selling. its still better than anywhere else but does suffer from too many dealers.

Steve

hi, should it say trade after dealers adds,Like for cars. atb mick

Quote Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
    hi, should it say trade after dealers adds,Like for cars. atb mick
    All adds on the BBS should be private sale. No trade adds are allowed
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk