Thread: underpowered hw110 .177

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    How much loopier really???
    Not much to be fair - my main hunting rifle is running around 11.5 with .177 JSB Heavies.
    Zeroed at 35yrds with reticle mapped, it works very well.

But, if I'm honest, I'd see low 10s with a medium weight pellet as a tad under power - especially for hunting with .177.

All of the above.

I maybe sticking my neck out here but a 10 ft.lbs airgun should not be used for hunting beyond 35~40 yards. The gun is under powered so needs sorting out. All those who hunt with sub 12 ft.lbs know that these should be on the higher side of 11 for hunting.

A.G

I had a 110 that was underpowered too by about the same amount .I sold it on in a px the rfd said they would send it back to hull cartridge to sort but as has been previously suggested try jsb heavies .I don't find the trajectory is much more than exacts found the heavies to give a ft lb more in my ultimate sporter .

Sorry should have read not much more than exacts

I have the same problem with my HW110, 11.14ftlb with .177, JSB Exact 4.52 and 10.99ftlb with JSB Exact heavies 4.52 very odd. I have tried 4.51 and they are even lower. I would like it doing 11.7ftlb with JSB Exact heavies which equates to around 715fps as I also only hunt. Is it only Hull Cartridge that can work on these due to their construction? Although I have been shooting air rifles for 40 years I have no experience of dismantling PCPs.

Cheers, Phil
    THE BRAIN CANNOT ASSIMILATE WHAT THE POSTERIA CANNOT TOLERATE

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreler View Post
    I have the same problem with my HW110, 11.14ftlb with .177, JSB Exact 4.52 and 10.99ftlb with JSB Exact heavies 4.52 very odd. I have tried 4.51 and they are even lower. I would like it doing 11.7ftlb with JSB Exact heavies which equates to around 715fps as I also only hunt. Is it only Hull Cartridge that can work on these due to their construction? Although I have been shooting air rifles for 40 years I have no experience of dismantling PCPs.

Cheers, Phil
    Nothing wrong with the power. That level is fine but you need to do a full test over the fill range because it will be hotter in the middle of the fill.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreler View Post

Cheers, Phil
    It is not as simple as that I am afraid. In my K barrel of HW 100 the Heavies make much more power than the 8.44s but in my 56 cn FSB barrel they are almost at parity with the 8.44s if not a shade lower in energy. I believe the length and type of barrel and the regulator pressure has a lot to do with how pellets behave in a barrel. Have you tried the JSB Exact Express? It might surprise you.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I maybe sticking my neck out here but a 10 ft.lbs airgun should not be used for hunting beyond 35~40 yards. The gun is under powered so needs sorting out. All those who hunt with sub 12 ft.lbs know that these should be on the higher side of 11 for hunting.

A.G
    This is not my experience. I’ve shot rabbits at this sort of range on 10ftlbs and seen clean kills with exit wounds.

This is not to say 11+ is not desirable, it is, but by no means essential. With either you have to hit the spot of course. That said I would want the rifle tweaked under warranty to 11 ish.

In reality though, the difference between 11 and 10 is only 30fps or so with a mid weight pellet. 11ftlbs is the upper limit with a mid weight without a heavier pellet going over.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
    This is not my experience. I’ve shot rabbits at this sort of range on 10ftlbs and seen clean kills with exit wounds.

This is not to say 11+ is not desirable, it is, but by no means essential. With either you have to hit the spot of course. That said I would want the rifle tweaked under warranty to 11 ish.

In reality though, the difference between 11 and 10 is only 30fps or so with a mid weight pellet. 11ftlbs is the upper limit with a mid weight without a heavier pellet going over.
    Says who ??

It might be in one barrel but not with another, You can't just make generalisations like that and state them as being absolutes.

It depends how efficient a particular pellet is in a particular barrel which is why every owner should have a chrono & do pellet tests both for accuracy & for muzzle energy.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Says who ??

It might be in one barrel but not with another, You can't just make generalisations like that and state them as being absolutes.

It depends how efficient a particular pellet is in a particular barrel which is why every owner should have a chrono & do pellet tests both for accuracy & for muzzle energy.
    Agreed. It reads as you have interpreted but wasn’t really the intent.

These were however my findings with my Compatto which was similarly low power at 10ftlbs. It was also my finding with tests on my S400.

The primary intent was to demonstrate the low FPS difference between 10ftlbs and 11ftlbs and that 11ftlbs is a practical upper limit leaving safe headroom was part of this premise based on the above. Make of it what you will.
    Last edited by Simonsays; 25-04-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Just finished setting up my hornet after installing new regulator .
    I am told they use jsb heavy to set the power at bsa these days so thats what i did .
    10.3 heavies i set the power at 11.8
    So that meant 8.4 4.53 exacts do 11.1

I know its a different barrel and riffle but you might want to know.

Oh and 11.8 was the peak with heavies it varied a bit down to 11.6. Thought it was the reg but 4.53 only gives 4-5 fps varation
    Last edited by dayglowfroggy; 28-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    I am told they use jsb heavy to set the power at bsa these days so thats what i did .

Oh and 11.8 was the peak with heavies it varied a bit down to 11.6. Thought it was the reg but 4.53 only gives 4-5 fps varation
    See what you get with bisley magnums too.
    My .177 BSA scorpion shoots heavies really well and they're what I use for hunting so mine is set to 11.4-11.5 with them. If my memory serves me correctly, bisleys produced a little more power but didn't have the accuracy of the Jsb heavies
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post

Pretty good agreement with my findings.