Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: underpowered hw110 .177

Checked a few pellets when I got my 110 in .177 a month ago, here are the results:

RWS superdome 10.86

HW FT Exact 4.51 11.07

Accupell 10.4

AA Diablo Field 11.02

JSB Exact 10.86

JSB Exact Heavy 10.94

Accuracy wise I chose the Accupells (which are also the tightest fit if that means anything)

Although the lowest energy, I could still knock down the Bash bucket at 75 yds no problem & didn't notice any difference from 200 bar down to 100.

As I don't hunt not bothered about the power unless it drops any more.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robet View Post
    Checked a few pellets when I got my 110 in .177 a month ago, here are the results:

RWS superdome 10.86

HW FT Exact 4.51 11.07

Accupell 10.4

AA Diablo Field 11.02

JSB Exact 10.86

JSB Exact Heavy 10.94

Accuracy wise I chose the Accupells (which are also the tightest fit if that means anything)

Although the lowest energy, I could still knock down the Bash bucket at 75 yds no problem & didn't notice any difference from 200 bar down to 100.

As I don't hunt not bothered about the power unless it drops any more.

Rob
    My findings agree. Power isn't everything, some pellets behave better slightly lower in power.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

HW losing power slowly

Had to return my first HW110 .177 after three days as it would not hold air for more than 24 hours. I've had a replacement from Hull Cartridge in September 2017. Before dispatch to the RFD they chrono'd it at 11.75 ft lbs. My local gun club chrono'd it in November and it had dropped to 10.8 ft lbs. Since then it has been dropping slowly and is now at 10.2 ft lbs. Spoke to HC and they told me that they are happy for me to send it back for "tuning" but suggested some things for me to try first.

Firstly they recommended using 4.51 pellets as Weihrauch barrels are set to this size and the possible effect of using 4.52's (AA Diablo Field) could reduce the ft lbs.

Secondly they advised never to clean the barrel with a pull-through as this could damage the seals.

Thirdly, I was asked what chrono I used. I use a Combro Mk4. I was then advised to change the batteries because if they were low that might reduce the ft lbs. I changed the batteries but it made no difference.

Accuracy has been fantastic but the slow but steady power drop concerns me and I will be sending it back in due course.

My 110 started to loose power , not much mind , but after all the reports of 110's having to be returned , I decided I would keep an eye on it.
    I cleaned the barrel very carefully with rods and a brush , and loads of carp came out, the power(pellet speed) was restored.
    I now just shoot cleaning pads through it after every session, and it maintains its 11.3ft/lbs output.
    Just be careful if you use cleaning rods because they can damage the "crowning" if you r heavy handed.
    Peace through superior fire power!

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    I maybe sticking my neck out here but a 10 ft.lbs airgun should not be used for hunting beyond 35~40 yards. The gun is under powered so needs sorting out. All those who hunt with sub 12 ft.lbs know that these should be on the higher side of 11 for hunting.

A.G
    This is not my experience. I’ve shot rabbits at this sort of range on 10ftlbs and seen clean kills with exit wounds.

This is not to say 11+ is not desirable, it is, but by no means essential. With either you have to hit the spot of course. That said I would want the rifle tweaked under warranty to 11 ish.

In reality though, the difference between 11 and 10 is only 30fps or so with a mid weight pellet. 11ftlbs is the upper limit with a mid weight without a heavier pellet going over.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
    This is not my experience. I’ve shot rabbits at this sort of range on 10ftlbs and seen clean kills with exit wounds.

This is not to say 11+ is not desirable, it is, but by no means essential. With either you have to hit the spot of course. That said I would want the rifle tweaked under warranty to 11 ish.

In reality though, the difference between 11 and 10 is only 30fps or so with a mid weight pellet. 11ftlbs is the upper limit with a mid weight without a heavier pellet going over.
    Says who ??

It might be in one barrel but not with another, You can't just make generalisations like that and state them as being absolutes.

It depends how efficient a particular pellet is in a particular barrel which is why every owner should have a chrono & do pellet tests both for accuracy & for muzzle energy.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Says who ??

It might be in one barrel but not with another, You can't just make generalisations like that and state them as being absolutes.

It depends how efficient a particular pellet is in a particular barrel which is why every owner should have a chrono & do pellet tests both for accuracy & for muzzle energy.
    Agreed. It reads as you have interpreted but wasn’t really the intent.

These were however my findings with my Compatto which was similarly low power at 10ftlbs. It was also my finding with tests on my S400.

The primary intent was to demonstrate the low FPS difference between 10ftlbs and 11ftlbs and that 11ftlbs is a practical upper limit leaving safe headroom was part of this premise based on the above. Make of it what you will.
    Last edited by Simonsays; 25-04-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Just finished setting up my hornet after installing new regulator .
    I am told they use jsb heavy to set the power at bsa these days so thats what i did .
    10.3 heavies i set the power at 11.8
    So that meant 8.4 4.53 exacts do 11.1

I know its a different barrel and riffle but you might want to know.

Oh and 11.8 was the peak with heavies it varied a bit down to 11.6. Thought it was the reg but 4.53 only gives 4-5 fps varation
    Last edited by dayglowfroggy; 28-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    I am told they use jsb heavy to set the power at bsa these days so thats what i did .

Oh and 11.8 was the peak with heavies it varied a bit down to 11.6. Thought it was the reg but 4.53 only gives 4-5 fps varation
    See what you get with bisley magnums too.
    My .177 BSA scorpion shoots heavies really well and they're what I use for hunting so mine is set to 11.4-11.5 with them. If my memory serves me correctly, bisleys produced a little more power but didn't have the accuracy of the Jsb heavies
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post

Pretty good agreement with my findings.

I don't c.f. really want want to buy bisley magnums just for setting up guns i already make sure i have jsb rs or falcon acuracey to set springers and the heavies to set up my pcp's .
    I do have some jsb monster that came in the tester pack i should try those out of interest.
    Also if you fit a robert lane regulator set to 80 bar in a hornet you only need to collapse one coil on the hammer spring ,i bought a light sping from xtx and the best i got was 9.8 with heavies.
    If these hw110 's are anything like bsa then you just need to know how to play about with hammer springs ,stock off ,two screws prize the back off and you are there on a bsa ,newer ones have to have anti tamper screw removed.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.