Thread: BSA Scorpion Air Pistol - whats it worth

BSA Scorpion Air Pistol - whats it worth

Hi everyone

I have an old BSA Scorpion Air Pistol for sale. It belonged to my late father and looks in good condition. There are no rear sights...I'm not sure where they went. There is an original plastic shroud (silencer?) on the end of the barrel. The safety lever has a missing screw but I have the lever.

The pistol has always been stored indoors...in a bedroom drawer in fact. We used to shoot this when I was a kid and it was new. I can't completely cock the pistol to charge up the compressed air. Either I'm not strong enough or the piston (?) is stuck.

I don't know of its value but I remember how much they went for on before they were banned, I've seen the price of spares and I've read some discussions about price on here.

There is a tin of waisted .22 slugs with it.

If you're interested, please get in touch and I can send some photos.

Regards

Simon, Corbridge, Northumberland.

Welcome to the BBS.

Lets change this to a valuation thread as you don't have access to sales.

Once you've answered all the questions and made 4 posts you should have access to sales and can then put it there.

So valuation please chaps, no offers to buy. Yet.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    pics would help, but from that description, £50-£65.

Also sub 6 Fp air pistols have never been banned.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Missing rear sight, possible safety issue, and maybe does not cock.

I'd say £30-40 as spares or repair. If it does cock and fire (they are indeed hard to cock), what Jon said.

They weren't banned. Some of the first ones ran hot, and BSA had to recall them, and fit weaker springs. I have often wondered if that was basically a publicity stunt by BSA - it certainly helped sales.

If yours has scope grooves, it is a Mk2. If it doesn't, it is a Mk1. I have not detected a noticeable difference in value between the Marks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Missing rear sight, possible safety issue, and maybe does not cock.

I'd say £30-40 as spares or repair. If it does cock and fire (they are indeed hard to cock), what Jon said.

They weren't banned. Some of the first ones ran hot, and BSA had to recall them, and fit weaker springs. I have often wondered if that was basically a publicity stunt by BSA - it certainly helped sales.

If yours has scope grooves, it is a Mk2. If it doesn't, it is a Mk1. I have not detected a noticeable difference in value between the Marks.
    yeah, agreed....
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have repaired loads of these for the RFD, they are hard to cock without the additional cocking aid that fits over the end of the barrel, but the nylon piston heads are also prone to swelling and jam in the cylinder. Basically they are an easy fix whatever is wrong with them especially if you understand one of the wonders of the universe, the trigger mechanism. They can run close to the legal limit in .22.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I have repaired loads of these for the RFD, they are hard to cock without the additional cocking aid that fits over the end of the barrel, but the nylon piston heads are also prone to swelling and jam in the cylinder. Basically they are an easy fix whatever is wrong with them especially if you understand one of the wonders of the universe, the trigger mechanism. They can run close to the legal limit in .22.

Baz
    There are a small number of trigger mechanisms that I understand. I nearly understand the FWB Sport's. I actually do understand the Diana ball-sear. I have never been able to figure out the Scorpion's.

There is a nylon guide in the trigger mechanism which can self destruct as well as the aforementioned buffer behind the piston seal which turns to cheese after a number of years. If the guide is catching it could be that one of the runners is bent, pointing to cheese in the cylinder. Don't take the action out of the hand grip unless you have a strong stomach and a photographic memory. The cocking aid makes it more interesting value wise though.

A good one goes for about £100, although I have seen them advertised for more
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    There are a small number of trigger mechanisms that I understand. I nearly understand the FWB Sport's. I actually do understand the Diana ball-sear. I have never been able to figure out the Scorpion's.
    Then don't take it apart. It comes off the cylinder as a unit like an HW record..

My RFD has a couple of Scorpions for sale. One is a minter in its box with all the bits including the steel target holder.Regarding trigger mechanisms I don't understand why some have to be so complicated. I love some of the cheapies like the Gamo with the long wire spring, one bolt and it just slides back out of the cylinder, and the BSA Meteor. Of course I love the Weihrauch Record (k) it works well, but consists of many parts, easy to remove from rifle and put back.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 05-09-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add pic
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

They were banned from a certain well known auction site. There do appear to be scope grooves...there used to be a scope but my brother snaffled it some time ago. I doubt there is much wrong with this pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    pics would help, but from that description, £50-£65.

Also sub 6 Fp air pistols have never been banned.

There is a video on YouTube that shows you how to dismantle the gun. I'm sure it would be an easy fix.

Baz

I assume then that the plastic bit is the cocking aid?
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    There is a nylon guide in the trigger mechanism which can self destruct as well as the aforementioned buffer behind the piston seal which turns to cheese after a number of years. If the guide is catching it could be that one of the runners is bent, pointing to cheese in the cylinder. Don't take the action out of the hand grip unless you have a strong stomach and a photographic memory. The cocking aid makes it more interesting value wise though.

A good one goes for about £100, although I have seen them advertised for more

Here's a link to some pictures if they are of any help:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zujpb6dhr...AZL_gYfka?dl=0

My RFD has a couple of Scorpions for sale. One is a minter in its box with all the bits including the steel target holder.Regarding trigger mechanisms I don't understand why some have to be so complicated. I love some of the cheapies like the Gamo with the long wire spring, one bolt and it just slides back out of the cylinder, and the BSA Meteor. Of course I love the Weihrauch Record (k) it works well, but consists of many parts, easy to remove from rifle and put back.

Baz