Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Stroke Pneumatic Rifles

Single Stroke Pneumatic Rifles

Wonder why the full power versions never took off, All the advantages of both systems with non of the drawbacks (Except some are a bit on the weighty side). Self contained, recoilless, just as quiet as a PCP with a moderator fitted, and most of the production ones used a bolt system on the breech so a magazine wouldn't be hard to engineer...

I must not be the only Single Stroke Fanboy on here
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

There was a Parker Hale about 20 odd years ago that had a cocking lever that would not have looked out of place on the Forth Bridge, and I don't mean the new one. The rifle was incredibly quiet. Had a long barrel on it.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I had a .177 Titan Mohawk SSP, and found that it was quite susceptible to dirt and grit getting into pump mechanism. It was easy enough to sort out issues and to service though, and quite a nice gun to use.

I didnt find the cocking effort too arduous during extended plinking sessions, although I think the .177 could have done with a bit more power.

I would have another one, but would probably prefer a .22 now
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    Wonder why the full power versions never took off, All the advantages of both systems with non of the drawbacks (Except some are a bit on the weighty side). Self contained, recoilless, just as quiet as a PCP with a moderator fitted, and most of the production ones used a bolt system on the breech so a magazine wouldn't be hard to engineer...

I must not be the only Single Stroke Fanboy on here
    I think the advent of the bolt action magazine fed PCP put paid to the SSP rifle, the PCP is effortless and requires zero physical effort other than holding it still. There is also the fact that the cocking arm on an SSP in a hunting situation would probably be quite a handicap as it causes you to break hold of the gun and also means you're waving your arms around a fair bit, and has been mentioned they are susceptible to getting damp and dirt inside when out in the wilds.

That said, for non-hunting folks, I think they could be a superb option.

I've very recently bought myself a Walther LGM2 (see pics) and cant believe how good the concept is and how accurate these guns are, its capable of putting a pellet through the hole in a Polo mint at 40 yards, even with peep sights.

I'd like to get my hands on a full power version, but I guess they are like hens teeth.

Daystate did one, the Sportsman, but it was really a single stroke for c. 6ftlbs with two strokes giving c. 10.5ftlbs (.177). The single stroke was relatively easy but the second stroke was much harder. The rifle was also quite heavy. I once tackled an HFT course with one; it was hard work.
    The PH Dragon, mentioned above, is a great rifle but a bit temperamental with the seals.
    There was the Paradigm that made it to a prototype but it never made it to production, although there were tales of it going to be made in China (?). I tried the prototype at the Shooting Show when it was at Lincoln. It took a while to get the knack but the single pump was then easy.

Plenty of multipump ones but all I have tried seem to need a lot of effort to get above c9ftlbs.
    Cheers, Phil

They were a bugger to cock.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Not alone

Hi i have a few SSPs including proberbly the best one....a Genesis....also a Mowhawk....Gamo Target...Daystate Sportsman (L/H) did have a Parker Hale oh and an early Bowkett (though not a true SSP)....Recently also sold a FWB 601.....you could say i like them.....i missed a Lasier 12 a while back....another interesting idea!!

I loved the JB single strokes. Fell completely for them but were out of my reach financially. I was surprised when I returned to shooting that they had virtually died off.

The FX Independence is probably the only one currently available as new. Even then its still a PCP for the main part.

The Cocking Linkage while un sightly while open on the Dragon does work wonderfully, and allows for a shorter throw than on the Mohawk. Also due to the pivot system the final stage of the stroke seems to go smoother than on the Titan. I have a massive soft spot for my .22 Dragon but the Mohawk I've got in .177 is growing on me too.

Unfortunately I've not had the privilege to shoot an SSP 10m gun, but with the amount of fun I have shooting Bell and 10m with my SSP Gamo Compact, I will purchase one eventually. Your Walther is stunning Beretta303 and I'm torn between something similar or a Steyr LG.

While Hunting I could see that the throw on cocking arm could be too much for some shooters, especially in open terrain. But fitting a mag would be no more difficult for an airgun manufacturer then fitting a mag to a PCP, as most SSP rifles are loaded with a bolt. I'm afraid as I'm not a fan of the multi pump system so my knowledge here is limited.

I was recently fortunate enough to have a good look at a JB1 and an Air Logic Genesis, and while the machining work was exceptional, they didn't do it for me.

And Zomboid the FX doesn't count haha

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I've had a few PH Dragons,and currently have a Sporter that's being restored. Great rifles but they came along at the same time PCP took off, so the weight, effort and price killed them off quickly.

I have a new Benjamin 392 that can do just under 12 ft/lb with seven relatively easy pumps, that's fun too!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Real shame the market couldn't have supported both systems. Mine is also a sporter Tinbum, you should post pics when it is restored Although I love my sporter, I am on the lookout for a .177 FT model when I see one to add to the set

I had quite forgotten the FWB601 and relatives ... mostly, I think, because they are, I believe. 6ftlbs 10m rifles and not available as 'full power'. I tend to think of 12ftlb models when a SSP question is asked. But they are beautiful rifles and quite easly to operate.
    Cheers, Phil

I had a JB1 with interchangeable barrels. Put out about 10.-11 ft/lbs with bismags. Lovely gun and virtually silent. Cocking it was a bit of a knack, but once you'd got the hang of it it was great.

I have a Sportsman mkII and mkI, I actually prefer the mkI although it requires more strokes than the mkII. They are great for plinking etc, like a break barrel springer but easier to shoot
    Daystate Owners Club new site: www.daystateownersclub.com/forum

Yes Phil I often overlook them but will own one day I'm sure

Steve I'd heard some came with interchangeable barrels, I agree about the cocking mech but as you say fine once handled.

And Airwolf1 I've unfortunately not had the pleasure to see a sportsman in the flesh, but as you say I like that SSP's are contained like a springer but as easy to shoot as a PCP