Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single Stroke Pneumatic Rifles

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Bought a single stroke American pistol at a boot-sale a long time ago - it was cheap enough and was a bit of fun. Now I use it exclusively as a blower.

Absolutely briliant as a fly/wasp killer - easy to get just the right distance to disintigrate the insect but without mess or chemicals. Regularly gets used to clear the micro-debris that makes my living room gas-fire hard to start once a year - used to have to dismantle the thing to clear the pilot jet.

Brilliant for the odd cobweb that occasionally appears in high places.

Will do any job that a compressed air line blower would do.

And the seals are still fine - still sends a 177 on its way at about 2.5 ftlb I think.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    Not entirely correct, dont be stuck for PHD spares as I have one or two knocking about
    I'm after a cocking arm and latch, Keith.

I was going to make them but I'm having trouble finding the time.

All the best Mick

Good to see all this single stroke info flying around in one place

Oliver13 I am aware of this guy and has actually seen his original video, interesting concept to say the least.

I had forgotten about the single stroke pistols, I have a little Gamo Compact that is far more accurate than I am at 10m I think the SSP pistols saw more favour than the full power rifles however, which is a shame as the system is fantastic.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Bought a single stroke American pistol at a boot-sale a long time ago - it was cheap enough and was a bit of fun. Now I use it exclusively as a blower.

Absolutely briliant as a fly/wasp killer - easy to get just the right distance to disintigrate the insect but without mess or chemicals. Regularly gets used to clear the micro-debris that makes my living room gas-fire hard to start once a year - used to have to dismantle the thing to clear the pilot jet.

Brilliant for the odd cobweb that occasionally appears in high places.

Will do any job that a compressed air line blower would do.

And the seals are still fine - still sends a 177 on its way at about 2.5 ftlb I think.
    What a great altenative use for these pistols.

Thats one benefit to being able to dry fire I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    Good to see all this single stroke info flying around in one place

I had forgotten about the single stroke pistols, I have a little Gamo Compact that is far more accurate than I am at 10m I think the SSP pistols saw more favour than the full power rifles however, which is a shame as the system is fantastic.
    I've muted in the past about how nice it would be to have a rifle version of the HW40.

Its "lock time" or "air release" is very clean, quick and sharp, with the system dumping all the air in one go.

So, maybe a rifle version would go down a storm? Retain the barrel-over-cylinder layout, keeping it compact. Longer stroke and more reservoir capacity. Then the longer barrel for more efficiency. If a handy 8-ish ft.lbs could be achieved with a not too strenuous single stroke, it may be a superb little thing for fun, recreational shooting, informal targets and close-up vermin control / barn work?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Interesting concept Tony, not thought of using an enlarged pistol layout....

I'm about 80% of the way there on a design of my own for a rifle, and would be using a dump valve also. Toying with a regular breech setup or investing in multi shot capability at the minute, but need a final design before I go ahead and purchase £££'s worth of material

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    ... If a handy 8-ish ft.lbs could be achieved with a not too strenuous single stroke.
    Given correct mechanical linkage design, why should SSP require more energy to cock than a single stroke spring rifle?

Is there a reason for overall efficiency of an SSP rifle being inherently lower than that of a spring powered rifle? If not then an SSP rifle would have equal power for equal cocking effort.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've muted in the past about how nice it would be to have a rifle version of the HW40.

Its "lock time" or "air release" is very clean, quick and sharp, with the system dumping all the air in one go.

So, maybe a rifle version would go down a storm? Retain the barrel-over-cylinder layout, keeping it compact. Longer stroke and more reservoir capacity. Then the longer barrel for more efficiency. If a handy 8-ish ft.lbs could be achieved with a not too strenuous single stroke, it may be a superb little thing for fun, recreational shooting, informal targets and close-up vermin control / barn work?
    The big drawback of using barrel over cylinder is scope mounting, Tone.

With the Sheridan, Benjamin, Setra, Crosman and many other underarm pneumatics your hand tends to fall on the scope when pumping, which is probably why many manufacturers (Titan, Parker Hale, Air Logic, FX and Webley) moved to the Sidelever layout.

There probably is a slight lock time advantage with blow open exhaust valves compared to knock open ones, but a knock open exhaust vale is a very simple and forgiving setup.

All the best Mick

Antoni, if I'm honest the ones I have haven't been too strenuous to cock at all, the only issue is that the last part of the cocking stroke is the hardest due to pressure building.

There are obvious ways to over come this, such as making the cocking lever longer so you can overcome said pressure. The Parker hale dragon uses quite a clever system as the pivot point slides on the arm, meaning that for the majority of the stroke (when pressure is low) the piston travels rather fast. And then as you get to the high pressures, the pivot slides to a point where the piston travels slower, maximising efficiency of the stroke and taking less effort for the last part.

I think Webley used a semi sprung piston head in the paradigm concept, which meant you needed to compress less air than normal as it "accelerated" the air out of the chamber when fired. So there are ways of making the stroke less strenuous, it just requires more mechanical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Given correct mechanical linkage design, why should SSP require more energy to cock than a single stroke spring rifle?

Is there a reason for overall efficiency of an SSP rifle being inherently lower than that of a spring powered rifle? If not then an SSP rifle would have equal power for equal cocking effort.
    I think it's because compressing air generates heat - in a pumper this heat soon disappears and is wasted, but in a springer there is no time for this loss to occur.

Here is a video about the successor to the Paradigm prototype, made by its inventor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOn5wL47fzI&t=330s

I think Webley used a semi sprung piston head in the paradigm concept, which meant you needed to compress less air than normal as it "accelerated" the air out of the chamber when fired. So there are ways of making the stroke less strenuous, it just requires more mechanical engineering.
    Hi Tom

From old threads on the subject of sprung piston heads it appears that they gave no velocity advantage, though they may have made cocking a little easier. :-

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....68#post7053968

All the best Mick

Just to add fuel to this debate...the ASI super match uses a gas ram to aid cocking to great effect but also became its down fall.....i have one which had failed, till Wonkey Donkey worked his magic.....

Hi Mick,

Didn't think it would make too much difference to velocity tbh, bulk of the energy in is still in the cocking stroke. Just musing on different ways to reduce physical effort in.

All the best, Tom

Hi Mick,

Didn't think it would make too much difference to velocity tbh, bulk of the energy in is still in the cocking stroke. Just musing on different ways to reduce physical effort in.

All the best, Tom
    I did wonder myself, Tom, which is why I considered fitting a sprung piston to my single stroke Mohawk, but after resurrecting the gun I dismissed the idea as I found it easy enough to cock.
    I've now sat at a couple of Boinger Bashes plinking away happily with my Mohawk (I know ) and found it doesn't do my back in like my springers do.

Cocking the Mohawk has a certain knack to it but once you've mastered it it's happy days.

All the best Mick