Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning t bolt .22 or and hmr sorter composit

Browning t bolt .22 and hmr sporter composit

I've got two of these , one in each calibre. Now that I've had them for 8 months and now that the rabbits are slowing down a bit thought I'd do a review on them.

firstly they are a small and light gun with a lop of 13.5 inches and an unscoped weight of just over 4Lbs. They also have a relatively heavy trigger pull and as a result you will need to learn how to shoot this rifle at distance.

The bolt is a straight pull design and comes in left handed too. It's extremely quick to operate and is great for fast fire bunny bashing out of a truck.

And I think this is where this rifle excels over its rivals . Yes it is light with a puny stock and he trigger is heavy but these can be fixed but it's the inherent speed and ease which which it can be used from a truck that makes it a better choice for me.

I do a lot of rabbit shooting at night from a truck. Because it's light, short and has a flush magazine the t bolt is Easy to manuver . And because it has a tang safety , a straight pull and back up mag in but of the stock you are never left fiddling for anything , it's all there for you exactly where it should be.

It's accurate too and I've taken shots out to just over 130 yards on hare with the hmr and bunnys out to 70 yards with the .22lr.

I think in time I will probably fiddle with the triggers and add some weight to the stock but I am happy with them and as an out and out hunting rifle the are superb. Buy one you won't regret it..
    Last edited by Whitester; 13-09-2017 at 07:32 PM.

I like my .22 Tbolt. Its as accurate as my CZ and a lot lighter to carry around. Still a bit stiff at the mo but hopefully it will ease up a bit on the bolt.
    I altered the trigger pull just by removing a lip where the spring sits so its now sitting flush with the housing.

Did the trigger mod make much of a difference ?

I think so but havent got anything to measure the pull.
    I used a hot Stanley knife blade to cut the lip off. When you back off the adjuster screw the lip stops the spring from fully unwinding.

Thumbs up

Ok thanks that's good to know, I presume that the trigger group is fairly easy to take apart?

yes, its all plastic and unclips. Security foil seal tape to undo. Pretty naff really considering its made by Browning and Miroku. Usual polish of sears helps to smooth the action out a bit.

Lovely , cheers mate 👍

Trigger Mod

Just done the same mod on the trigger housing and also removed the adjusting screw whilst at it so the spring now sits down on top of the threaded brass insert that the screw resides in, trigger pull now at 3.5lbs as opposed to over 6lbs which was lightest pull setting when adjusted from standard, not polished anything as happy with result and just lubed sears and pivot point and put back together.

Had rifle from new and very happy with it apart from the heavy trigger but wantedto wait until out of warranty before modifying, was hoping to get out with it this afternoon/evening for a play ..... sat here now waiting for rain to pass

Just done the mod on the trigger on the 22lr, will give it a run out this week before I do the same on the hmr.

Easy to do though.

I have a 17hmr in the black composite and a .22lr in the grey lamminate. they are both superb. Cant fault them at all.

Light weight,
    superb build quality
    unique cocking bolt,
    faultless loading and cycling of mags.

Cant understand why they are not more popular...

Maza,,,,
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by maza View Post
    I have a 17hmr in the black composite and a .22lr in the grey lamminate. they are both superb. Cant fault them at all.

Light weight,
    superb build quality
    unique cocking bolt,
    faultless loading and cycling of mags.

Cant understand why they are not more popular...

Maza,,,,
    Probably because they are a little bit more pricey that the go to CZ. Shame because they are a lot les clumbsey.

I also have a laminate t-bolt .22 had it almost a year now and I'm very happy with my choice. it has served me well. Nice, light and easy to handle. Good to look at. The bolt has loosened nicely with use. I find it to fit me well compared to its competition. My only two faults would be the heavy trigger wich I have become somewhat use to,(may try what's been suggested above to make it lighter) and the plastic buttpad would of being nice in rubber. And if I was to really nit pic a metal trigger blade would of felt abit more quality.

I had a Browning T bolt and it was quite simply the worst rifle I have ever owned. I could never get it to remain accurate (it had the target barrel) and it was an utter joy to get rid of it and go back the the CZ brand, which has been brilliant straight out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by mh374 View Post
    I had a Browning T bolt and it was quite simply the worst rifle I have ever owned. I could never get it to remain accurate (it had the target barrel) and it was an utter joy to get rid of it and go back the the CZ brand, which has been brilliant straight out of the box.
    How long did you own the t bolt?

I owned one for a just over a year. Glad to get rid of it.