Thread: bp pistol shooting

bp pistol shooting

anyone got any on these or can recommend one on shooting and setting up etc,,,,,loved the noise and the smell

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    If you contact the Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain which is based in the Midlands they have an excellent book (The Modern Muzzle Loader) for about £6 which explains darn near everything about the sport and a bit more.

Here is the link for the pistol section http://mlagb.com/pistol/index.htm

Here is the link for the book http://mlagb.com/supplies/index.htm

Best gun to get for a newby is a Ruger Old Army .45 (thats a .45 not a .44 - important to remember when applying for an FAC or variation) which is a stainless steel modern version of the blackpowder revolverl, very nice guns and extremely accurate. It is not allowed in alot of the competitions except the Free Pistol, but you can learn alot from it and it is a massive revolver you will enjoy immensely. Expect alot of cleaning and faffing about with grease, it is a rather dirty occupation but with lots of explosions and flames! You'll love it.

I am saving it for my retirement (if it is still legal).
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 08-09-2005 at 09:35 PM.

There used to be a club in Sheffield. Not sure if they were the Muzzle Loaders or the Black Powder people there maybe two clubs.

I met them at a Country Fair. I would imagine they will be at the Midlands C/F.

Ray

I use a (Pietta) Remington 'Texas' in .44 with the brass frame. Great fun to shoot and there's a good BP following at my club. We have a monthly comp., rifles first then pistol. They're always well attended.

I use Triple Seven FFFG rather than 'proper' black powder. It's MUCH easier to clean the gun after it's been used with this stuff.

At risk of stating the obvious, if you're shooting black powder ALWAYS wear safety glasses. Lots of sparks, crap and bits of fragmented percussion cap flying around - don't take chances with your eyes!

Have fun.

J.

We have a boxlocks at 10 paces competition at the Christmas shoot and I keep one on ticket just for that. Dinky little things with a screw on barrel and no sights, I think the American's call them muff pistols, not really appropriate here due to the language difference.

I have an Adam's revolver on ticket but it has rust damage to the forcing cone and don't shoot so good, but it's double action which makes it fun, dagga dagga.

Old revolvers have tapered chambers so you get them gas tight when you ram, modern revolvers have cylinder cylinders so you plaster grease over the end and it all sprays out sideways on the first shot and makes a mess. Semolina for packing over the charge and I think that's all you need to know