Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No shooting at Commonwealth Games - if Birmingham win

2014 Commonwealth Games shooting was very well presented to visitors with gamesmakers, expalier on the full bore ranges and an exciting atmosphere indoors. I do not know how much coverage it was given on television. The main problem was that it was held in a location on the other side of Scotland from Glasgow and this isolated the shooting atheletes and audiences from the rest of the Games. Possibly a deliberate move by the Scottish Governent.

It is being debated whether theere will be shooting if the Games come to Birmingham. A shooting venue has not been listed in the newspaper but then the newspapers often get things wrong or omit things. India, Malysia, Australia and some Caribean islands like their shooting and I cannot see them being amenable to shooting being droppes from the 2022 Games.

Venue? Kingsbury would be the most local choice and could have infrastructure put in place just like Carnoustie did.

ISSF continue to be the main obstacle to the development of the shooting sports. They oppose Field Target disciplines, they oppose practical disciplines and they have watered down moving target disciplines. Practical disciplines would attract vast audiences but the ISSF oppose including them in Games.

The public are not hostile to shooting sports. A noisy minority give that impression but the truth is most people are not opposed to target shooting and most of them would like to have a go at the sport. Presented in the right way, TV audiences could be healthy but the ISSF are an obstacle.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post

Perhaps the comps could be like tennis... eliminate 1/2 from say shot 5, then the next 1/2, then the next... decimal score around the ability of the rifle.
    That's more or less the way target archery has gone - a ranking round, then head-to-heads based on the ranking score until there's a winner. Whether this has actually made the sport more popular with spectators is unclear but archery clings on to it's Olympic status - just.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    2014 Commonwealth Games shooting was very well presented to visitors with gamesmakers, expalier on the full bore ranges and an exciting atmosphere indoors. I do not know how much coverage it was given on television. The main problem was that it was held in a location on the other side of Scotland from Glasgow and this isolated the shooting atheletes and audiences from the rest of the Games. Possibly a deliberate move by the Scottish Governent.

It is being debated whether theere will be shooting if the Games come to Birmingham. A shooting venue has not been listed in the newspaper but then the newspapers often get things wrong or omit things. India, Malysia, Australia and some Caribean islands like their shooting and I cannot see them being amenable to shooting being droppes from the 2022 Games.

Venue? Kingsbury would be the most local choice and could have infrastructure put in place just like Carnoustie did.

ISSF continue to be the main obstacle to the development of the shooting sports. They oppose Field Target disciplines, they oppose practical disciplines and they have watered down moving target disciplines. Practical disciplines would attract vast audiences but the ISSF oppose including them in Games.

The public are not hostile to shooting sports. A noisy minority give that impression but the truth is most people are not opposed to target shooting and most of them would like to have a go at the sport. Presented in the right way, TV audiences could be healthy but the ISSF are an obstacle.

All the shooting events will take place at the Barry Buddon Shooting Centre located in Carnoustie on Scotland's east coast.

The shooting events are to be located in a combination of international standard ranges allowing spectators to experience all the shooting events on one site across.

This satellite venue in Angus on the east coast, near to Carnoustie golf course, will host all shooting events on one site. Its ranges are well established and in regular military use. It was also the home of shooting at the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games

Sticking with a site that was used before and worked well then ?

Plus I'm not sure there are any other sites near Glasgow like the above.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I enjoy shooting, but watching someone shoot targets is the most boring thing ever, lets be honest. Shotgun is quite interesting to watch, but I hate shooting them So for me at least, there is not necesarily a great correlation between sports you may wish to watch, and those you participate in.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Birmingham have been selected as the UK bid.

Only one problem, they didn't include the shooting disciplines!!!

Lets hope Eley and BSA have had a word with the City bid team.

Too late to do anything now, apart from hope Malaysia win the bid
    They should have gone for Liverpool, plenty of shootings there.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Indoor shooting was well covered. I watched us get a Bronze and Gold. That's because they use electronic scoring and have an MC etc. and you get immediate results. The outdoor stuff never made it. As far as I understand it the 300m was shot on paper targets on a range that wasn't exactly interesting to look and there there was considerable delay between the match finishing and the results being published.

No-shooting-at-Commonwealth-Games-if-Birmingham win

Archer50 wrote: "...but archery clings on to it's Olympic status - just." I find that hard to understand; archery is a wonderful recreational pursuit. I wonder is the possible exclusion of shooting for the Commonwealth Games, if to be held at Birmingham, a sign of anti-shooting 'politics' by those who simply are anti-shooting, -hunting, -fishing, and so on?

If politics are a part of it, I wonder if those who are against such pursuits realise that in Track and Field javelin, shot-putt, discus and hammer events are all derived from 'martial' use in ages past?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    All the shooting events will take place at the Barry Buddon Shooting Centre located in Carnoustie on Scotland's east coast.

The shooting events are to be located in a combination of international standard ranges allowing spectators to experience all the shooting events on one site across.

This satellite venue in Angus on the east coast, near to Carnoustie golf course, will host all shooting events on one site. Its ranges are well established and in regular military use. It was also the home of shooting at the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games

Sticking with a site that was used before and worked well then ?

Plus I'm not sure there are any other sites near Glasgow like the above.
    I can't think of any either, the only thing they could do was find a site and make it a temporary venue, perhaps the ranges up the Gairloch have something suitable but with the terrain around there I wouldn't be sure. But yeah, not hard to make a berm for a backstop then put temp firing lanes in if you wanted to, not sure there would be much cost savings over just holding it at Barry though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
    I can't think of any either, the only thing they could do was find a site and make it a temporary venue, perhaps the ranges up the Gairloch have something suitable but with the terrain around there I wouldn't be sure. But yeah, not hard to make a berm for a backstop then put temp firing lanes in if you wanted to, not sure there would be much cost savings over just holding it at Barry though.
    .One in the pentland hills. Near Edinburgh.

Castlelaw training area
    The Castlelaw/Dreghorn Training Area lies immediately south of Edinburgh and is part of the Pentland Hills Regional Park.

Not a huge area for the people involved in the commonwealth games I suspect.
    https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1030702

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wawr85j8bk...47-55.png?dl=0

Castlelaw is half the distance to Glasgow compared to Barry buddon too.
    Last edited by bighit; 11-09-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Cfs

They could also do the same as Manchester did and have it at bisley this is less of a problem for the commonweath as it still shoots all disciplines and all the major shooting bodies should be able to agree

Colin