it sounds from the previous posts that the prime function of this gun is going to be target shooting and plinking if there is a difference. this being the case i dont see how you can prefer .22. i have about 12 guns AA and HW and i have struggled for a couple of years now to enjoy shooting the .22 calibre. i only shoot paper it being the most challenging target of all. i,speaking personaly cannot convince myself that the .22 is as accurate as the .177 for this discipllne. i also find very irritating how the .22 pellet rips the hell out of the paper target. i also having had both really dont subscribe to the 25 mill being better than the 26 mill. i believe that if you keep the power down on a .177 to say no more than 11 ft lbs you will not be able to tell the difference. my 26 mill 77k which i mean to take down is running bang on 12 ft lbs and is a tack driver with opens or a scope. a few days ago i did a group half the size of a 5p at 20 yds rested with opens. i have just sold my .22 99 and i only now have a beautiful mark 2 tx200 in .22. i dont like parting with it but i expect it wil be going soon. good luck with whatever you decide. pete