Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My last springer purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    There is nothing else quite like an HW35e. Thank God!

Buy one, it'll be funny.
    He He

Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post
    Hello Arthur,

Having been laughed out of a local gunshop two days ago when I said I would only buy one more air-rifle - the staff remember me saying three guns ago that I wasn't buying any more - is your statement absolute legally binding, as in "Yes dear this is the very last rifle I'm going to buy - ever!"?

Jim

via Ballarat
    Australia.
    Title should read "My lastest springer purchase"
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Go for a used 35 first, enjoy, then ponder the 77 (your last + 1 springer purchase).

http://barx.org/airguns/?id=weihrauch_35

Both of these are best bought used, and you ought to just be able to buy both used for the price of one new one.

Apart from holding value, the older 35s have wood and metal that is better than current HWs (though you have to navigate the waters of leaky breeches and 13mm scope rails), and the older 25mm 77 is slightly better than the current (26mm) ones, and the older 26mm ones are at least as good as current production.

And, yes, .22". Easier to buy used, as more made/sold, and I like .22" in sproingers.

Thanks again for your continuing interest.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

To me a HW77 is a .177 machine. In that calibre it excels.
    To me a .22 is for shooting and fun, which translates to a break barrel.

I've had a HW35E in .177 and it did little for me. I'd have one in .22.
    I have a Venom HW77 in .177, can't say I'll ever let it go. In fact all the HW77's in .177 that have crossed my path have tac drived.

I can't see any good reason to get either new as both can be found second hand and many older ones have nicer furniture that the present factory offerings. Anything more modern in the HW range then OK, but even then loads sold and there are plenty hardly used ones on the market. Frankly springers are hard to master for many in this modern age, and why bother when a PCP delivers... so they "upgrade" quite quickly leaving well priced new model springers for those who appreciate the springer quirks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    buy secondhand, you will lose nothing if you don't like it...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have nothing against a second hand HW77 provided I know the seller and can handle the gun. Buying second hand from a retailer, given the prices they ask, rarely offers much of a saving.

I've found the best way to buy is just to say to somebody at the range who has a nice looking gun: "That's a nice looking gun. Fancy selling it?" Amazing how often this technique works. Most shooters seem to be dreaming of their next gun - usually a pcp - and an on the spot cash sale can be quite attractive. Bloke at my range recently did this to me re. an FWB air pistol. I hadn't thought of selling it but was immediately tempted.

One of these days I will really try to get down to one of the boinger bashes.

What puts me off the older HW35 E is the leaky cylinder issue that some have, and the leather washer.

I'm not interested in doing any work on a gun. I just want something that is ready to go.
    Arthur

Not all old 35s leaked, Arthur - I've owned three of them. And there's nothing wrong with a leather piston washer, they work just fine...

Hi Arthur, get yourself to the boinger bash in October mate, I'll bring both for you to try, personally I only use .22, always have, in my day .177 was for girls (and in my opinion still is) lol, if I'm honest it's just because I can't be arsed with having to empty all the .22 pellets out of my pockets, I like both guns for different reasons, I love the looks of the 35e and it's as accurate as the shooter, the 77 is also a beautiful gun that is very stable to shoot off a bench rest due to the front heavy characteristics, if I could only have one gun, it would have to be an early .22 hw95, I think they just got it right with that one, atb Daz

Thanks Daz and thanks to you all.

Of course we have all said this will be the last one. But springers are addictive. You can't have too many of them.

I once had two large extra deep cabinets full of them. But all I seemed to do was get them out, look at them, wipe them over and put them back.

There will always be two you automatically pick up and the rest get neglected.

But this time I am determined not to go down that road again. For one thing I can no longer afford it. I am retired now, and have a couple of other interests that also soak up a bit of cash.

One more springer should do it for me.

Well, maybe two max.
    Arthur

Ultimately it's whatever floats your boat Arthur: personally I'd plonk for the 77 (no surprise there).

One thing that might be worth considering, for the sake of variety, is a selection of different stocks. I have 4 for my 77's. The original mk1, a 97, a cs800 and the current mk3. If for any reason you feel things going a little 'stale' then simply swap the stock and enjoy a 'new' gun all over again. It works for me.

I'm itching for a HW98 but the 'instruction manual' on the action is my reason for saying NO to a brand new one. Come on Mr W screw the nut, get rid of the writing - it's a tacky unnecessary addition that spoils the looks of the range. Go back to the smooth classy lines of earlier days and I'll buy one straight away.
    Last edited by Lumberjack; 16-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Hi Arthur, if you don't mind a drive, there's a really nice hw35e in Tyne and Wear on freeads for £250, comes with a decent scope and slip, atb Daz

If I'm shooting at targets and I'm not using my HW100 then it's always the 77. With minimal work (comparatively with these tuners) they shoot very well. Full length is a bit different from all the carbines we see everywhere so I'd say opt for that if it's on the cards.

Had a HW35E in .177 which turned out to be a pile of excrement so I don't think I'll ever have one again. I'll admit there are some decent ones out there though.