Thread: My last springer purchase.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks again for your continuing interest.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

To me a HW77 is a .177 machine. In that calibre it excels.
    To me a .22 is for shooting and fun, which translates to a break barrel.

I've had a HW35E in .177 and it did little for me. I'd have one in .22.
    I have a Venom HW77 in .177, can't say I'll ever let it go. In fact all the HW77's in .177 that have crossed my path have tac drived.

I can't see any good reason to get either new as both can be found second hand and many older ones have nicer furniture that the present factory offerings. Anything more modern in the HW range then OK, but even then loads sold and there are plenty hardly used ones on the market. Frankly springers are hard to master for many in this modern age, and why bother when a PCP delivers... so they "upgrade" quite quickly leaving well priced new model springers for those who appreciate the springer quirks.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    buy secondhand, you will lose nothing if you don't like it...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I have nothing against a second hand HW77 provided I know the seller and can handle the gun. Buying second hand from a retailer, given the prices they ask, rarely offers much of a saving.

I've found the best way to buy is just to say to somebody at the range who has a nice looking gun: "That's a nice looking gun. Fancy selling it?" Amazing how often this technique works. Most shooters seem to be dreaming of their next gun - usually a pcp - and an on the spot cash sale can be quite attractive. Bloke at my range recently did this to me re. an FWB air pistol. I hadn't thought of selling it but was immediately tempted.

One of these days I will really try to get down to one of the boinger bashes.

What puts me off the older HW35 E is the leaky cylinder issue that some have, and the leather washer.

I'm not interested in doing any work on a gun. I just want something that is ready to go.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Not all old 35s leaked, Arthur - I've owned three of them. And there's nothing wrong with a leather piston washer, they work just fine...