Hi Ian,

Much of what I wrote in relation to the rearsight accessories applies equally to the foresight. I see some very expensive devices on the end of barrels but when you ask the shooter when and how often they use it, the answer is usually "not a lot". Don't get me wrong, having the best possible clarity for the foresight is important and outdoors this is usually achievable with a sensible combination of rearsight aperture size; should be in the range 1.0 -1.2 mm; (there are sound optical reasons for that) and a nice bold foresight ring. There was a fashion years ago for very thin rings, but as a very experience international shot said to me "When you look through the sights you need to be able to see the foresight, not have to firkle about for it!" The other advantage of a thick ring is that it holds your attention much better and discourages you from focussing on the aiming mark. You need to watch the bit that's moving and that's the end of the barrel.

Selection of inner ring diameter is a little more difficult, the guiding principles are that all movement must be contained within the foresight and whilst having too small an aperture is detrimental, having too large one is much less so. What you need is good separation between the aiming mark and the foresight ring, don't fall into the trap of having a tight fit as it improves aiming accuracy, it doesn't. Small separation encourages the eye to lose that all important focus on the foresight.

If you want to try something then have a look at the Centra High End Glass Element. Get the 1.4mm ring thickness. they are £18.00 each but worth it and at most you would probably only require three of them. Get one to try and work on it by shooting a various aiming mark sizes at the same range. Hint here - if you go to www.SCATT.com and download their software it allows you to print proportional targets. The Centra elements do work, no need to go for the coloured ones.

ATB
Rutty