Thread: Walther rotex vs gamo phox

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Argue all you like about where it is made or designed, it's different to a BSA Ultra and different again to a BSA Ultra SE. Not as you stated earlier so stop talking around the subject as though you know anything at all about BSA's or the way they are made. It's a Gamo. Even if assembled in Birmingham under the roof of BSA (property of Gamo) it is badged a Gamo and not a BSA.
    I will quote from your previous statement:
    SPECIFICATIONS

Manufacturer: Gamo

Distributor: BSA Guns

Country of origin: England

Model: Phox

Type: Pre-charged pneumatic

Action: Multi-shot bolt action

Length: 39 3/4” (101cm)
    The parts that the Gamo Phox are made from (specifically the all important valve assembly) don't fit BSA guns apart from the Buccaneer. Not even the air tube is interchangeable with the BSA line.
    Now they are not going to develop Gamo specific parts when it is made in Britain. Gamo do not make PCP rifles, they concentrate on spring or gas powered spring rifles. PCP rifles are left to the UK subsiduary, BSA! So, British gun, Spanish trigger.
    So who designed the new parts? It says Gamo on the label.
    If you had ever stripped any of the guns you would know this simple fact: the parts are not identical or interchangeable with BSA Ultra or Ultra SE.
    That is not shown in the advertising publicity. Now when you stop talking (typing) out of the back of your neck then you can maybe type some sense. The fact is you have no experience of stripping, rebuilding, modifying or tuning these guns. Your opinion that it is a cheap BSA Ultra/SE is unfounded.
    As further proof (if any is needed) the HuMa regulator for the Ultra SE does not fit the Gamo Phox/Coyote, Huub had to design a new regulator to fit these Gamo guns ( which also fits the BSA Buccaneer).
    As for
    "Gamo don't make PCP rifles, they concentrate on spring or gas powered spring rifles. PCP rifles are left to the UK subsiduary, BSA!"
    what's this then?
    http://www.gamo.com/wp-content/uploa...ual-Chacal.pdf
    Among other PCP models they are built in Barcelona, see "Technical information" on the above .pdf
    Here's a parts diagram of the Coyote (the Phox in another guise)
    http://www.gamo.com/wp-content/uploads/Coyote1.pdf
    You may notice that it is in no way similar to the parts diagram of an Ultra or an Ultra SE. Can you spot the differences?
    The Gamo Phox is a Gamo assembled in the Birmingham plant of the Barcelona Small Arms Company.
    Now when you make statements in the future it might be worth researching/confirming the factual basis of such statements rather than quoting rumour or other misinformed opinions.
    I should also like to add that I have not used a single unnecessary exclamation mark.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Clearly not based on either Ultra then Tom.

I have no experience of the Phox but I have had a Rotex RM8 in .177 from new for a couple of years and it is a good solid accurate, ugly gun which I like.
    The bolt is very satisfying to use as are the mags which are also cheap.
    It's accurate and has a good shot count.

My problem with it was weight which disappeared when I took the stupidly heavy muzzle weight off it.
    As did the makers when they thought about it.

I guess it's better made than the Phox but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by gingernut; 14-12-2017 at 04:42 PM.

You can save a significant amount of weight from a Umarex (Walther) RM8 by fitting a BSA 200cc aluminium bottle instead of the steel bottle fitted by Umarex in the Walther factory when assembling "850 Air Magnum" parts with an added air pressure regulator and printing Walther on the breech block.
    As to which gun is better it largely comes to personal preference, go down the gun shop and try them both for fit and feel. Ask to have a shot or two if you go to a range and somebody is there shooting one. Decide which you like best then decide whether to buy new or secondhand.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!