Thread: Which 0.177 pellet for competition use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which 0.177 pellet for competition use

Hi. I have started writing a blog post for pellet selection for HFT.
    I know that every gun/barrel has a different preference etc. What I would like is some statistics on what people actually end up with. Doesn't have to be HFT. Can also be FT or benchrest.

I was going to make this a poll but the max amount of options was 8 and that wouldn't cover different head sizes etc.
    Thanks in advance

Personally I currently use Air arms 4.51 but in my new gun they aren't great. I will be doing more testing soon!

Benched, Steyr Hunting 5 Auto, JSB Exact 4.53.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I see no difference in performance between tins of JSB Exact based solely on the stated head size. I currently have tins said to be 4.51 and 4.53, if there is a difference in grouping it is masked by my marksmanship.

Better and more experienced shooters than I maintain head size is a very important variable. There is also widely reported data demonstrating I am not alone in realising the only accurate part of the quoted head size is the "4." bit. What I have seen, is particular batch numbers giving tighter groups.

Maybe later I'll put a picture up showing the difference on a target between 4.51 and 4.53 through my scoped Steyr, rested. They are all tiny groups of 5 but measured there is a difference. As I've said, the gun was rested so all I had to do was touch the trigger so it more or lees eliminated any errors on my part and being auto indexing I didn't even have to disturb the gun to reload.
    Last edited by vbull; 13-09-2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I've seen differences between air arms 4.51 and 4.52 from an S400. But it seems this can depend on the weather, season and phases of the moon
    I got the chance last weekend to ask some very experienced/good shooters about it. They said head size along with batch numbers makes a big difference to them.
    In my TX200HC I can't see the difference, but that is down to my technique/ability I think

Tx200 using air arms express 4.52 have also tested the JSB express and they were very similar (believe they are made in the same factory could be wrong though) shooting HFT. Was using air arms fields in 4.52 but the express just takes it with the tighter groups at the longer ranges.
    TX200 Mk3 HW100 HW97