Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post
Thank you all and a special thank you to 12/200 - perhaps I should chuck all my rifles in a case and come to visit the UK for a quick re-blue and a bit of sight-seeing? I've always wanted to visit Hertfordshire which is where my Mother lived as a child.

I am intrigued by the suggestion by bighit of using an onion. What 'chemicals' does an onion contain that can affect rust?

As gingernut said such subtle wear is part of the 'history' of the rifle as are the small 'dings' and scratches in the stock - there is no hiding the fact that it is a vintage rifle - and I bought it to shoot not hang on the wall. I don't mind 'honest' wear marks. [I have quite a few such marks and 'dings' myself that cannot be polished out.]

I'll hasten slowly for now and keep wiping it down well after use as I do with all the rifles I own.

Jim

PS. Please pass on my disappointment to the excellent Colin Malloy and explain I won't be using his services as I can't afford the postage!
I saw it on YouTube . A lady using on a shotgun

Why Do Onions Remove Rust?

Sulphenic acid, like all acids, reacts strongly with anything containing hydroxide ions. Rust happens to be such a substance, containing one hydroxide ion for every atom of iron in the compound. When a cut onion is rubbed against something rusty, the sulphenic acid within the onion breaks down the rust, causing it to flake away, leaving behind any untouched layers of iron beneath the rust coating. This process also happens to neutralize the acid. So if you're trying to remove rust from an item by this method, something with lots of rust may require more than one slice of onion.

The video here
https://youtu.be/9aCbiO8alDY