Thread: Wanted: Airsporter Rear Sight

Wanted: Airsporter Rear Sight

Has anyone got a rear sight please for airspoter mk4 GI 0310 worth a try
    Thank you

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Keep your eyes peeled on e-bay, but be prepared to wait.....and wait.
    I had a Mk4 project for quite a while that was missing its rear sight. I waited, and waited.....and waited. And sold the rifle. Bugger me, if a week later there were two of them being offered for sale on the bay
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I managed to assemble one from parts bought separately on that auction site.

But as Harry said you'll need patience,the main bodies have a habit of splitting,making them like hens teeth to find intact.

Is the Mk4 unit attached with a pin or screw?.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The Mk4 rear sight is secured by a pin, which goes through a sort of "fin" set into the top of the breech end of the barrel.
    If the link works, the securing "fin" is shown in this pic of a line-up of Airsporters. Neither the pic, or the rifles belong to me.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/50505247@N02/4668902885/
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Both the pin and screw fixing units appear to be available from the usual source,but not cheap at around £30 including postage.

I've found a 15mm high windage block in the parts box,not much, but it would be a start for someone looking to build up either type of sight.

Perhaps

Looking at Harrymacs pictures, the fitted rear sights bear some degree of familiarity to my BSA scorpion pistols, one has a plastic one piece rear slide, the other a multi piece with reversible metal sight groove, from memory a fine vee and broader u. Hth David

Quote Originally Posted by Ragle Jnr View Post
    Looking at Harrymacs pictures, the fitted rear sights bear some degree of familiarity to my BSA scorpion pistols, one has a plastic one piece rear slide, the other a multi piece with reversible metal sight groove, from memory a fine vee and broader u. Hth David
    The problem with the Mk4 and 5 Airsporter sights is that while they include standard, widely available, contemporary BSA rear sight parts, the other parts are model-specific. And really hard to find. None of Chambers, Knibbs or Protek has them. They do come up occasionally on the bay, but enough people seem to want them to drive the prices up.

For every 10 secondhand BSA's, there's only one rear sight among the lot.

If Protek don't have one then I'd be looking at a bit of a butchery to get a newer version one to fit, some tapping & drilling it might work without too much drama.
    Slit the newer model sight to fit on the older version rib.
    Drill & tap a hole down through the rib into the barrel to secure the new sight down. I don't know how a newer model elevation screw will appreciate all this.
    It should work, the elevation may be a bit awry though.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Wouldn't you think that someone would make up a batch of replacement alloy bodies for these?
    (there must be a market)

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I have seen a couple with metal versions or copies, but don't know who made them.
    I have a nice new old stock one stashed for one of mine when I get around to fitting it.
    I dont think that one would take a lot of making just for the main body. The few I have seen were steel and blued and looked better than an alloy one would.
    BASC

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    I have seen a couple with metal versions or copies, but don't know who made them.
    I have a nice new old stock one stashed for one of mine when I get around to fitting it.
    I dont think that one would take a lot of making just for the main body. The few I have seen were steel and blued and looked better than an alloy one would.
    Indeed, blued steel would be better but I just thought that alloy ones would be simpler/easier to manufacture?

The problem with the originals (composite type) is, the elevation spring is acting upon it all the time - even when not in use in the box, indeed, one of mine broke on my Mk5 'minter' in the box, they break across the fixing pin hole.
    Best to wind off the tension on the elevation before putting away - even that may not stop the block breaking though!

Anyone know of any other steel version that could be modified by drilling a fixing pin hole through successfully?

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

the ugly sight fixing 'lump' was removed by the mod 6,the guns were still sold with the 4-5's sight though.you can see in contemporary bsa catalogues [and mine in the flesh]that there is an ugly empty space when viewed from the side.it's quite clear knibb's airgun spares diagrams for the 5-6 models
    i personally would have no qualms about carefully grinding the lump off and drilling/tapping if needed to fit the £30 all metal sight from protek or others,the plastic sights were all to easy to catch and crack going into a gun bag and a new plastic one will break afore long.
    all the best and good luck
    MB
    Last edited by martin bingham; 26-09-2017 at 01:36 PM.