Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Arms springer - .177 or .22?

You mention arthritic hands. You may want to consider a break barrel, rather than UL and .22

Quote Originally Posted by jm5* View Post
    You mention arthritic hands. You may want to consider a break barrel, rather than UL and .22
    I thought this as well.. loading would be much easier because the breech is at 90 or more degrees to the action when the rifle is cocked... It's easier to see & get your fingers in
    Also.,
    I'd say .22 or .20 would be best for OP's requirements.
    Thanks Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

At 20yds it's got to be .22 and the pro sport is sooooo nice.

having had both guns i would say that the tx200 is a far better gun than the pro sport,and i even prefer the looks of the tx. pete

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    having had both guns i would say that the tx200 is a far better gun than the pro sport,and i even prefer the looks of the tx. pete
    I would say the opposite is the case. The Prosport is a sleek sporter with classic looks and a fine balance whilst the TX looks like a 410 over and under shotgun. Calibre choice is personal but even with my slippery fingers I prefer 177 for sub 12 these days.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

creed Guest
    I did try to handle a Walther LGV but the shop only had a LGU in stock which I handed back fairly quickly as it didn't fit me at all and felt a couple of pounds lighter than a Bren gun I fired in the 70s.
    Still,I would consider a break barrel but the Air Arms underlevers seem likely to be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by creed View Post
    I did try to handle a Walther LGV but the shop only had a LGU in stock which I handed back fairly quickly as it didn't fit me at all and felt a couple of pounds lighter than a Bren gun I fired in the 70s.
    Still,I would consider a break barrel but the Air Arms underlevers seem likely to be my choice.
    You're not far wrong there. If you're set on an underlever, take a look at an HW77k - even an HW57...

Personally I love all the mentioned rifles, but to be honest I would recommend a Weihrauch HW95K. In .22 they are a joy to shoot, the rifle is not to heavy and being a break barrel easy to load but also very easy to cock. It is a great all round rifle suitable for target, pinking, and HFT.
    Shooting Air Rifles is like being a pubic hair on a toilet seat.
    Eventually someone comes a long and P's you off.
    They usually have a PCP

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Its all open to question but from the OP (which I think is not disimilar to my own situation) I'd favour .22 Cal.
    And if shooting either a Prosport or a TX (I own three TX's) plus a good few other air rifles, I like .22 and i would concentrate on this caliber for all practical distances.
    “An airgun or two”………

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Its all open to question
    No, it's all down to pure physics and actual facts. If shooting at shorter distances there is no point in .177 (unless you are really tight) It is just there for people who try and shoot too far without the skill to accurately judge the range.

Trouble is the .177 users are still compensating in every aspect of their lives.

It is as good!
    It does work!
    I don't have a small willy!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by StellaArtois Sr View Post
    Personally I love all the mentioned rifles, but to be honest I would recommend a Weihrauch HW95K. In .22 they are a joy to shoot, the rifle is not to heavy and being a break barrel easy to load but also very easy to cock. It is a great all round rifle suitable for target, pinking, and HFT.
    I certainly wouldn't be arguing with this.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

both the TX and Pro sport are very capable rifles.
    The only thing I'd add to the above comments are the fact that both rifles have a different balance. The TX is more nose heavy. This suits some but not others.

If you do plan to shoot targets at further ranges in the future or if you think you may wish to try to try FT / HFT I reckon .177 would be a better bet calibre wise.
    Either calibre will dispatch any legal quarry with ease.
    Both will be fiddly to load in .177. The breech loading cut out on both makes access a little tricky. The port on the HW97 is more accessible but the two you mentioned are a better "out of the box" rifle.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    No, it's all down to pure physics and actual facts. If shooting at shorter distances there is no point in .177 (unless you are really tight) It is just there for people who try and shoot too far without the skill to accurately judge the range.

Trouble is I am still compensating in every aspect of my life.

I am not that good a shot!
    I dowork now and again!
    I have a very small willy!
    Corrected for you
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk