Inspired by Tinners coming out as an HW35 fanboy, I'm just back from a chilly autumn morning mooch with my own veteran '35, and, despite being a tad under dressed in just my combats, shirt and fleece, I loved every lightly-booted step. The ravages of time meant a 4-16 scope replaced my previous expertise with open sights and the fitness to stalk to within 25 yards, but I still had the feel, look, sound and smell of my old rifle to take me right back to my airgunning rebirth.

I also have two rabbits in the freezer. They were easy shots and I would have had at least four more if I'd used the silenced, multi-shot PCP I'm currently testing, but on this morning's session I was hunting pleasure, not clearing vermin, and I filled my bag to overflowing. If I didn't have to get myself sorted for the Midland Game Fair, I'd still be out in the fields, just enjoying my escape in the company of a rifle that, more than any other, helped introduce me to the possibilities of our wonderful pastime.

Bless you, brother Tinbum, you are almost as inspiring as the rifle we both love.