Thread: Airgunner HW35E

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    For me, there's a ton of stuff to like. I have an HW35 I bought in 1976. When I shoot it, I am reminded that this was the rifle that changed everything for me. From that Rekord trigger that was light years ahead of anything of its kind at the time, through the build quality and its aim-stabilising heft, to the excellent open sights that helped me put hundreds, possibly thousands, of rabbits, pigeons, rats and crows in the bag over the years. I even used that rifle, open-sights and all, for lamping - shock-horror-probe.

That HW35 was the first rifle that inpired me to train, rather than just shoot, because I knew that the better I became, the more it would reward me. It produced just over 10.5 ft.lbs. in .177, and it was solely responsible for educating me away from the 'power is everything' mindset that afflicted all of my shooting friends.

It was that rifle that made others around me start to change their minds about airguns being 'proper' guns. The HW35 really did, and still does, represent more than the sum of its parts, although those parts are impressive enough.

Millions of shooters, right around the globe, hold the HW35 in high esteem, and it still outsells many 'modern' rifles decades on from its introduction. For me, it was great to see it still in production during my recent visit to Weihrauch headquarters. Long may it remain the useable, enjoyable, inspirational icon it has rightly become.
    *Stands up clapping*

Plus, you could fit a pair of them (or a pair of skis), in an Austin Maxi.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    *Stands up clapping*

Plus, you could fit a pair of them (or a pair of skis), in an Austin Maxi.

Ah, the other Icon from the 70's. Seating for four adults, and as you rightly point out, you could fold the seats down for carrying ungainly, oversized loads.

The Austin Maxi, HW35 and flares. Thanks 1970's, you were the best!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The Austin Maxi, HW35 and flares. Thanks 1970's, you were the best!
    Seriously, Tinners, if EVER a chap 'doth protest too much' ....

You know we all know, don't you? There's really no point in maintaining this sham a moment longer. Come out of the HW35 closet; you're among friends.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Seriously, Tinners, if EVER a chap 'doth protest too much' ....

You know we all know, don't you? There's really no point in maintaining this sham a moment longer. Come out of the HW35 closet; you're among friends.
    It's true, I'll not deny it. I so very nearly bought Jamies export earlier this year, but it wasn't quite good enough and the timing was all wrong. When I get one it will have to be a proper old 35e with the ridunculously long barrel, white spacers and a gert lush stock! I might start my search on my return from the current world tour.

I will only be able to look at it from the right hand side though.

look no hands is online now Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It's true, I'll not deny it. I so very nearly bought Jamies export earlier this year, but it wasn't quite good enough and the timing was all wrong. When I get one it will have to be a proper old 35e with the ridunculously long barrel, white spacers and a gert lush stock! I might start my search on my return from the current world tour.

I will only be able to look at it from the right hand side though.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't you dare do a U turn

We could start an anti 35 club and meet up once a year and use one as a spit to cook a hog roast on it'll be long enough

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't you dare do a U turn

We could start an anti 35 club and meet up once a year and use one as a spit to cook a hog roast on it'll be long enough

Pete

Airgun Shooter have asked me to write an article on barrel length, and its effects on power and accuracy.
    I know its been done before, but I am going to do it again, and what better gun to start with than a 35 with its glorious 22" barrel!?

Over many days, maybe even weeks I will slowly remove bits of barrel, an inch at a time, with a rusty hacksaw and NO ANAESTHETIC!!

(Just to ease the minds of the more hysterical amongst you, it will be an old manky barrel being cut, not the pristine one on my soon to be guinea pig)