Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Airgunner HW35E

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    It would be nice to pretend its a joke, that somehow this travesty of an airgun is something people should aspire to, but it's not.
    If they had ceased production in 1937 then maybe there would be a case for that, they didn't. They are still making it. In short it is shit. Properly shit. It looks shit, handles like shit and, well. Its just shit.

I can't stresss enough how much of a waste of money this is unless you are really after a collectible from the past.

I could never in good conscience recommend it to anyone I had any respect or affection for. There is a special page for owners, enjoy!

Just my opinion of course.
    I am a bit surprised so many disagree with you I admit that I am very familiar with the 35 but from what I can see the cut away forend spoils its nothing special looks and apart from the rekord trigger and end block what is there to like

The HW35E was a model of HW35 that hit the market at just the right time. The advent of cheap and pretty good telescopic sights from Japan that hit market at the same time as the first Airgun World 1978 was to bode well for it. With those sights shooters could reach beyond farmyard ranges or further than open sights could happily deliver. The HW35E looks good and shot well, with its fantastic Record trigger that helped no end.
    It didn't take long for people to start tuning their rifles in order to get the maximum potential out of them. Most tuning was a good polish and relube. The 35 had a few issues, power being a big one as it was a bit of a lottery what power they arrived with from the factory. .177 they were pretty low and thats the calibre that at the low legal power limit is the one to use to extend the range with accuracy. Anyhow, loads of experimenting went on on how to tune. All sorts were tested including transfer ports sizing and the like. Much was learnt. Pellet quality and variety improved too. The need to conquer long range and accuracy has continued to this day.

All tuned up the HW35E, looks great, shoots well, but is a bit of a lump. That lump tends to makes them more forgiving, more than the lighter weight competition, and wasn't lost with the introduction of the HW80 and HW77. The rest is history.

With all the HW35 variants then a worthy rifle to collect if thats your kind of thing. How many variants are there that are factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post

How many variants are there that are factory?
    In stock variations, apart from the Standard, https://imgur.com/jJy0D02Deluxe https://imgur.com/D00htzX and Export, https://imgur.com/A3poIebthe later two being walnut, there is the Safari https://imgur.com/yYNn0Cv the Lochshaft https://imgur.com/rMpiee7 there is a couple of Limited Edition factory one. The Black Silencer https://imgur.com/q607cfJ and the laminated Anniversary https://imgur.com/I6OwDAb
    Then there was the Barracuda (ether injected) Venom and Normay Vixens https://imgur.com/PI9csNH.

For a so called ugly rifle it had lots of variations. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...collection.jpg
    Last edited by I. J.; 14-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I am a bit surprised so many disagree with you I admit that I am very familiar with the 35 but from what I can see the cut away forend spoils its nothing special looks and apart from the rekord trigger and end block what is there to like
    For me, there's a ton of stuff to like. I have an HW35 I bought in 1976. When I shoot it, I am reminded that this was the rifle that changed everything for me. From that Rekord trigger that was light years ahead of anything of its kind at the time, through the build quality and its aim-stabilising heft, to the excellent open sights that helped me put hundreds, possibly thousands, of rabbits, pigeons, rats and crows in the bag over the years. I even used that rifle, open-sights and all, for lamping - shock-horror-probe.

That HW35 was the first rifle that inpired me to train, rather than just shoot, because I knew that the better I became, the more it would reward me. It produced just over 10.5 ft.lbs. in .177, and it was solely responsible for educating me away from the 'power is everything' mindset that afflicted all of my shooting friends.

It was that rifle that made others around me start to change their minds about airguns being 'proper' guns. The HW35 really did, and still does, represent more than the sum of its parts, although those parts are impressive enough.

Millions of shooters, right around the globe, hold the HW35 in high esteem, and it still outsells many 'modern' rifles decades on from its introduction. For me, it was great to see it still in production during my recent visit to Weihrauch headquarters. Long may it remain the useable, enjoyable, inspirational icon it has rightly become.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    apart from the rekord trigger and end block what is there to like
    Its not a Diana

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    For me, there's a ton of stuff to like. I have an HW35 I bought in 1976. When I shoot it, I am reminded that this was the rifle that changed everything for me. From that Rekord trigger that was light years ahead of anything of its kind at the time, through the build quality and its aim-stabilising heft, to the excellent open sights that helped me put hundreds, possibly thousands, of rabbits, pigeons, rats and crows in the bag over the years. I even used that rifle, open-sights and all, for lamping - shock-horror-probe.

That HW35 was the first rifle that inpired me to train, rather than just shoot, because I knew that the better I became, the more it would reward me. It produced just over 10.5 ft.lbs. in .177, and it was solely responsible for educating me away from the 'power is everything' mindset that afflicted all of my shooting friends.

It was that rifle that made others around me start to change their minds about airguns being 'proper' guns. The HW35 really did, and still does, represent more than the sum of its parts, although those parts are impressive enough.

Millions of shooters, right around the globe, hold the HW35 in high esteem, and it still outsells many 'modern' rifles decades on from its introduction. For me, it was great to see it still in production during my recent visit to Weihrauch headquarters. Long may it remain the useable, enjoyable, inspirational icon it has rightly become.
    *Stands up clapping*

Plus, you could fit a pair of them (or a pair of skis), in an Austin Maxi.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    *Stands up clapping*

Plus, you could fit a pair of them (or a pair of skis), in an Austin Maxi.

Ah, the other Icon from the 70's. Seating for four adults, and as you rightly point out, you could fold the seats down for carrying ungainly, oversized loads.

The Austin Maxi, HW35 and flares. Thanks 1970's, you were the best!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

The Austin Maxi, HW35 and flares. Thanks 1970's, you were the best!
    Seriously, Tinners, if EVER a chap 'doth protest too much' ....

You know we all know, don't you? There's really no point in maintaining this sham a moment longer. Come out of the HW35 closet; you're among friends.

Seriously, Tinners, if EVER a chap 'doth protest too much' ....

You know we all know, don't you? There's really no point in maintaining this sham a moment longer. Come out of the HW35 closet; you're among friends.
    It's true, I'll not deny it. I so very nearly bought Jamies export earlier this year, but it wasn't quite good enough and the timing was all wrong. When I get one it will have to be a proper old 35e with the ridunculously long barrel, white spacers and a gert lush stock! I might start my search on my return from the current world tour.

I will only be able to look at it from the right hand side though.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    It's true, I'll not deny it. I so very nearly bought Jamies export earlier this year, but it wasn't quite good enough and the timing was all wrong. When I get one it will have to be a proper old 35e with the ridunculously long barrel, white spacers and a gert lush stock! I might start my search on my return from the current world tour.

I will only be able to look at it from the right hand side though.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't you dare do a U turn

We could start an anti 35 club and meet up once a year and use one as a spit to cook a hog roast on it'll be long enough

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't you dare do a U turn

We could start an anti 35 club and meet up once a year and use one as a spit to cook a hog roast on it'll be long enough

Pete

Airgun Shooter have asked me to write an article on barrel length, and its effects on power and accuracy.
    I know its been done before, but I am going to do it again, and what better gun to start with than a 35 with its glorious 22" barrel!?

Over many days, maybe even weeks I will slowly remove bits of barrel, an inch at a time, with a rusty hacksaw and NO ANAESTHETIC!!

(Just to ease the minds of the more hysterical amongst you, it will be an old manky barrel being cut, not the pristine one on my soon to be guinea pig)

Sums it up very nicely, Terry.

This gushing enthusiasm and the undoubted affection that Phill also holds for this iconic landmark rifle (yet another experienced shooter who has lived on "the dark side" for many a year and has the opportunity to try many different rifles each year) inspired this post. And it's a rifle that stirs many emotions, as witnessed here yet again.

Nice to see The Tinster relenting.

Pete.....you're next!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Sums it up very nicely, Terry.

This gushing enthusiasm and the undoubted affection that Phill also holds for this iconic landmark rifle (yet another experienced shooter who has lived on "the dark side" for many a year and has the opportunity to try many different rifles each year) inspired this post. And it's a rifle that stirs many emotions, as witnessed here yet again.

Nice to see The Tinster relenting.

Pete.....you're next!
    I can assure you Tony, it will never ever happen mate (and please don't doctor my comments)

I can understand why Nick has to try one as he has his obvious connections being in the trade but luckily I have my own unswayable stubbornness.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Bravo, Tel - could have written that myself, except I bought my first one in '77. Long live the 35 - a true living classic...

Inspired by Tinners coming out as an HW35 fanboy, I'm just back from a chilly autumn morning mooch with my own veteran '35, and, despite being a tad under dressed in just my combats, shirt and fleece, I loved every lightly-booted step. The ravages of time meant a 4-16 scope replaced my previous expertise with open sights and the fitness to stalk to within 25 yards, but I still had the feel, look, sound and smell of my old rifle to take me right back to my airgunning rebirth.

I also have two rabbits in the freezer. They were easy shots and I would have had at least four more if I'd used the silenced, multi-shot PCP I'm currently testing, but on this morning's session I was hunting pleasure, not clearing vermin, and I filled my bag to overflowing. If I didn't have to get myself sorted for the Midland Game Fair, I'd still be out in the fields, just enjoying my escape in the company of a rifle that, more than any other, helped introduce me to the possibilities of our wonderful pastime.

Bless you, brother Tinbum, you are almost as inspiring as the rifle we both love.