Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do gun shops hate the stealth

Why do gun shops hate the stealth

Hi this is my first post my guns are an hw 80 airarms s410 hw 100 and a gunpower stealth. the stealth is the one i allways take hunting but my local gun shops say they are dangerous because the air tanks explode, i emailed gun power and airforce usa and they say this is total rubish plus i noticed that hatsan have used two of the same tnk on thire new herculese. my stealth has a regulator fitted plus an s410 barrel and custom trigger, iv owned stealths for over 15 years with no problems at all.As anyone els had any problems

I've still got
    My stealth, brilliant rifle and not exploded once ....

Some gun shops are a strange breed.

Some years ago I tried to buy a .177 BSA lightning from a local gun shop. They didn't stock the Lightning but were happy to order one from BSA for me. "What is it you shoot?" he says, offhand. This is for rabbits. "Oh, well for that I can only sell you a .22."

"Sorry, what?"

"Totally irresponsible to shoot rabbits with a .177. If you want the gun it'll be a .22."

"Errr, no thanks."

Gun shop = gone now. Funny that.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I've had stealths, they have many issues, but exploding isn't one of them!
    If you have regulated yours and fitted a decent barrel and made the trigger better, it should be fine as long as it continues to not explode at every oppurtunity.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Greengrass22 View Post
    Hi this is my first post my guns are an hw 80 airarms s410 hw 100 and a gunpower stealth. the stealth is the one i allways take hunting but my local gun shops say they are dangerous because the air tanks explode, i emailed gun power and airforce usa and they say this is total rubish plus i noticed that hatsan have used two of the same tnk on thire new herculese. my stealth has a regulator fitted plus an s410 barrel and custom trigger, iv owned stealths for over 15 years with no problems at all.As anyone els had any problems
    I am pretty sure this is an error on the part of a less than informed shop owner making a dumb statement.
    The tanks dont explode ....mary preserve us ....as that would kill you and such news would be all over the web .....but their valves do .....or at least they have had problems with fiercely venting or stuck open valves since the advent..
    We had one at the club massvely dump its 200 bar load staright out .....sounded like a tiny explosion i suppose but not an explosion of the tube....That would be lethal.

I have heard this .
    I see your location - a nearby gunshop then .
    One gunshop , one bloke , one accident during a refill - and an old story obviously repeated to every customer .
    Change gunshops

stone age pcp technology. very crude, cheaply made, with aluminium frame flex, trigger group nothing special, sear problems..., awkward eye/head position over the bottle.
    they should be sold for 200quid, then i would say get one. dont buy new for full price.

massive hammer spring, plastic breech. noisy action.

if you have a good barrel, very simple, not much to go wrong, very few o rings, can be pain to get into the bottle if seat or o rings needs changing.
    in the US they love it at high power, no transferport just straight flow.

the bottle is VERY thick walled, unlikelly to go, have seen on forums one drilled just for a sake of it

it is a mod heaven, in my opinion if buy a proper regulated pcp with a wooden stock from this decade that is a smarter move.
    Last edited by krisko; 23-09-2017 at 05:27 PM.

I own 2 but each to their own that's why we have choice and over the past 12 months have bought 2 daystates and a brocock hilite bantam all 3 had very bad issues and had to be returned the bantam 3 times . you get what you pay for and not everyone can afford tasty guns.
    hw100kt laminate adj cheekpiece version-22, bsa r10 black pepper-22
    wolverine mk1-177, wolverine mk2-22, bsa r10 se black pepper-177
    gunpower stealth-22, brocock bantam hilite-22, at44 single shot-25

Wasn't there a later version called XIV ? Or at least looked similar, weaver scope rail maybe mag fed
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I think a lot of traditionalist shops hate them because they look like something from a sci-fi movie.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Its a marmite gun

Greengrass22 its a marmite gun, you either love them or hate them. You've only got to read Krisco's assesment to understand that
    And let me say straight after that, I absolutely love mine but I fully respect the view point of others who disagree. Actually its not so much that I disagree with Krisco, its more that I look at it from a different perspective.

Please take the comments that follow as being those of a simple user with minimal knowledge of tuning and fiddling and therefore in no way to be considered expert testimony casual, undocumented observations. Also note that I have the XS aka Condor SS

If you're thinking of getting one you must handle & shoot one. Preferably shoot two, one that’s been set up to address the head position and then compare it to one in standard factory format. Some people love it the way it comes, others have to address the head position.

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    stone age pcp technology
    I'd say its a delightfully simple design

very crude, cheaply made, with aluminium frame flex
    Its not a top end gun but it isn’t total pants either.
    Some have reported it as hold sensitive but I haven't found it so.
    Some, who have tuned for power levels way outside of UK legal limits have found it to flex but in ordinary use that's not been my experience

trigger group nothing special, sear problems
    Mine works as it should, no issues at all.

awkward eye/head position over the bottle.
    Its very different in this respect which is why I said you really need to shoot one before handing over your readies
    You have three choices, leave it as it is, use a drop down adaptor to lower the tank or user a riser to raise the scope.
    I use the drop down adaptor

massive hammer spring, plastic breech.
    I don’t claim to know a great deal in the field of tuning but I'm not seeing the issue with either of these in normal UK use. Guys are shooting over 100ft lbs using the standard Delron breech
    There is an issue in guns above 12 ft lbs where the standard spring creates too much preload there by preventing any meaningful use of the power wheel.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think UK non FAC versions have the power wheel so I would have thought that once set up it shouldn’t be a problem. If I’m wrong on this and I’m happy to have the breadth of education improved upon.

noisy action.
    I'm not sure its any noisier than the norm. I believe it seems that way because your ear is next to it when you shoot the gun in its standard configuration & your ear is next to metal work.
    When I listen while some one else fires it, I find it to be normal, but if you raise the power it can be as loud as .22 powder shot.
    As I've fitted the drop down adaptor I don't hear it at all, that or I've gotten used to it.

.... very simple, not much to go wrong, very few o rings,.......it is a mod heaven
    I couldn't agree more. I bought mine because I really liked the concept, I wanted a gun that I could tune for different scenarios and because I wanted to learn about working on and tuning an unregulated pcp.
    The platform is so simple it really is a tinkerers delight, so simple it'd be hard to stuff it up.

dont buy new for full price.
    For a number of reasons I couldn’t agree more.

My reading suggests that you may get a new UK supplied gun that performs out of the box as it should however
    a) in the past a number of people have been disappointed with their new UK supplied gun
    and
    b) UK factory support may have proven to be very poor when compared to US factory support.

Within reason this is true of all the manufacturers but given the limited niche market that this manufacturer occupies it seemed to be a higher percentage than should have been the norm.

For me after sales support is extremely important. If there’s any doubt about a company I either won’t buy from them or I’ll buy used and be prepared to rectify any issues my self. If you can’t resolve one of these two criteria you shouldn’t touch Airforce aka Gunpower with a barge pole

If I was buying at home, and I will be when I return, I’d be looking for a fairly priced used one. The reason being that as marmite these guns can be had for a good price and there isn’t anything on the gun that the averagely competent person can’t fix.

IMHO the key to a successful & rewarding ownership is having access to a knowledge base to help diagnose problems as understanding of the platform is gained. Thankfully it exists in a number of places on line.

That said, I bought mine brand new, direct from the States, about two years back purely because I felt like spoiling myself.

buy a proper regulated pcp with a wooden stock from this decade that is a smarter move.
    If you’re a person who just wants to shoot and enjoy a gun with tuning and maintenance limited to a wipe down with ballistol after use, this gun isn’t for you.

I've been interested Airforce guns since they first came out but I was put off by the amount of fettling required and the contradictory reports of reliability & performance. My reading at that time had me thinking that you’d need degrees in engineering and applied physics to own and understand one and the likelihood of getting a decent one out of the box was slim. I was put off so much that it was many years before I decided to take the risk. All I can say is I'm so glad that I got over it.

I have an FAC XS aka Condor SS sourced direct from the US and kept outside of the UK, so it doesn't have any anti tamper BS fitted. I find it to be simplicity itself to work on, its a tinkerers dream come true. Its accurate and reliable and there is an absolute ton of great diy info available for it.

I love mine so much that I'm converting mine down to sub 12flbs so I can bring it home with me

Mine worked as it should out of the box but I did the shorten the hammer spring, I have a correctly sized one on its way as a better replacement as its an FAC gun so there’s a benefit in doing it. I burnished the trigger parts with moly, I’ve had the barrel in and out like a fiddlers elbow and every assembly dismantled, cleaned, polished and generally fondled and all in the name of learning and tweaking. But then that’s one of the reasons that I bought an Airforce gun and drive Land Rovers.

I'd have to call BS on the tank issue until I was shown proof of repetitive failure. By that I mean that I'd like to know the full details of the incident, including photos of the wreckage. There are so many questions surrounding the circumstances that need to be answered. I've worked around compressed gas for a number of years and I find it extremely unlikely that a tank of this size and design would fail through ordinary use.

Now tank dump is another story. Its where the entire contents of the tank is emptied in a short very loud burst. It can be a change of undies moment.
    Its rare and the reports that I've read have all occurred as the result of people fiddling for maximum power and it happens when they take a shot during chrony testing. That's exactly what I was doing when it happened to me. It doesn't happen unless you've been playing with getting top end power and its easily fixed by putting a suitably sized O ring under the top hat.

Sorry its a bit long winded but I HTH
    Last edited by Ooopz; 24-09-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Ooopz the artist formerly known as Eomer

I got a sweater for Christmas, what I really wanted was a moaner

Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    Wasn't there a later version called XIV ? Or at least looked similar, weaver scope rail maybe mag fed
    No, that was a different gun altogether Logun S16 based iirc.

The main reason gun shops hate the stealth is that half wit's mutilate them trying to get "more power" & they often have to try & sort out the resulting mess, sadly the same is often true with Rapids as well.

I bought one used & then paid Lupey the same again for his expertise to sort it.
    Last edited by angrybear; 24-09-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Has anyone seen any evidence that Logun air bottles explode?

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I think a lot of traditionalist shops hate them because they look like something from a sci-fi movie.
    A very very low budget one!
    Master Debater

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    No that was the rebuild of the Logun S16, called the XVI....