Thread: Rapid 7 pros and cons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    I would not really call the hw100 refined.you only need to take a look at the reg.worked on both and I my self have 5 rapids but no hw100.think what puts some shooters of rapids is when they get a bad example that's been messed with and set up wrong.to say they are easy to work on you dont half see some cock ups.
    kevG
    Hmmm. so you are saying a rifle that has one of the crappest triggers on record ( and for pretty much during the greater part of its lifetime) and a sticky out mag that gets gummy is more refined than a 100 mag system. IIRC the decent trigger were Mk4 unless you count the Anschutz unit. My Mk1 was a a huge pile of poo but I loved it.

Kev I know your a Rapid nut and I agree the rapid is a fine rifle, but in no way is this gun refined. Its the whole reason why a Rapid is a Rapid.

As for the reg.....well reg or knock open valves...to be frank....both also do the job and well.

The argument is there is more than way to meter air and some like one system and others another.....

But you cannot argue that the mag system on a raid is better than the 100. I have had both and the 100 walks it. And as the mag system on a multishot is pretty much what it is all about.....

BUT......Rapids are good solid guns - on that I think we are agreed. You can certainly do a lot worse. But they are not refined at all.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    never said a rapid was refined.its as refined as a 68 land rover.
    but does the job.at the end of the day it's about personal opinion.one man's meat one man's poison.main gripe for me with the hw100 is the two piece action block and shity reg.some of the barrels were not that good either.
    kevG

I sold my HW100 S to fund a very nice condition mk2 in .177. Biggest air rifle related mistake I've made to date.

Even though it had numerous upgraded parts, My 100 was so much more accurate and the more easier and practical rifle to live with, I sold the rapid within a month.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It's funny isn't it ?

I've shot them both, and whilst the HW is more refined, it doesn't do it for me... much prefer the simplicity of the rapid, the ease of stripping and servicing, the solidity, and the availability of cheap (or easily machined up) parts, and indeed aftermarket support. When I used to hunt, I also liked the ability to remove the mag and de-cock.

It is also very much easier and cheaper to build them up / modify them to your personal reqs, e.g. I had one with an air tube instead of a bottle, lightened stock, slimmer barrel. Obviously lower shot count but it weighted nothing...

For sure there are some rapids with really crap triggers, but a CDT or WW blade sorts those gamo triggers out a treat.

Keeping my Rapid, even though I'm a springer man... JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

best group I have ever shot at 50 yrds was with a .177 early gamo trigger rapid.stop being snobs about triggers lol
    kevG

best group I have ever shot at 50 yrds was with a .177 early gamo trigger rapid.stop being snobs about triggers lol
    kevG
    My MK1 has a gamo trigger which I modified to single pull as I don't like double pull triggers by the addition of a 10p pipe olive and nothing else, everyone who has used it comments on how nice the trigger is to use.

yes they can be made nice.plus a trigger is a very individual thing to each person

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    My MK1 has a gamo trigger which I modified to single pull as I don't like double pull triggers by the addition of a 10p pipe olive and nothing else, everyone who has used it comments on how nice the trigger is to use.
    Thats interesting, how did you do it ?
    Rapid Mk2 anschutz trigger .20
    Rapid MFR .20
    FX Verminator MK2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    I fitted a Charlie Tuna trigger to mine, improved it no end but still not perfect. That vague feeling has gone at least
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    kevG
    tbh mate, my Gamo triggered MK1 is completely unmodified and Ifind it just perfect; completely predictable... but just accept some are a bit crap
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

kevG
    No complaints about my Gamo trigger, i do have a theoben shoe that does improve it

kevG
    Its nothing to do with snobbery Kev....thats a fascile argument.
    Its about additional layers of accuracy.
    You dont buy good kit and then put something that is crap and recognised as such into the chain of command......well you do if its a gammo Rapid����.
    And whilst I loved my Rapid 17 which had a gorgeous Wilson maple tiger stripe FT stock and range finding scope on it...I recognise that the mk1 gammo trigger was a bucket of pooh. It always was. It always will be.And up to the mk4 most rapid triggers were indufferent at best.
    A trigger is a very important part of accurate shooting. It isnt essential but once you know the difference it aint rocket science. My Steyr trigger was sweet. My 100 was sweet but its lost its edge a little after an "expert pro" worked on it.
    My first rabbit was with that Rapid 17 rifle and at 50 yds to boot. Took me an hour plus and it dropped on the spot but its still a shite trigger.
    Why make anything thats accurate then deliberately put a weak link in the chain.
    You dont buy a decent rifle and scope then put cheap chinese mounts on and expect it will be "allright"....same with a barrel etc. I can shoot a rifle with a shit trigger. Its easy. You just know its shit and you know its an element that removes the ability to repeat and feel the shot.
    So there isnt any such thing as trigger snobbery or even scope snobbery. Its a balance between a minimum standard of engineering to do an important job for which cost can vary considerably.
    The Gammo and a lot of the Rapid triggers just didnt past muster. The rest of the gun...agricultural but honest and very capable to varying degrees like many others before it and subsequent to it.
    Last edited by Steyr; 24-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.

never said a rapid was refined.its as refined as a 68 land rover.
    but does the job.at the end of the day it's about personal opinion.one man's meat one man's poison.main gripe for me with the hw100 is the two piece action block and shity reg.some of the barrels were not that good either.
    kevG
    Ok....but thats not answering the point. Is the Rapid as refined as an HW100. The answer is very clear.as you made the analogy...the Rapid is like a land rover and that is not refined either. The only thing I would say is that the rapid is reliable whereas the 68 isnt.

The two peice action block ....I have never had an issue with the 100s I have had other than one being bent at an RFD when being put back into a stock.
    The reg....never an issue with that either.
    The barrels ...well they had a dodgy batch....they also had a dodgy batch of mods too but HOW LONG was it befor Theoben came up with any sort of decent trigger at all.........the answer is YEARS. Most weirauchs have good triggers and have for donkeys years.

Your arguments dont hold water Kev 😊😊😊😊 and ya know it lad xxx

If you want meccano and like spanners the Rapid is the kiddy and if its FAC Rapid all day long. If you want refinement...untouchable magazine and cocking and smooth trigger then 100.

As for the trigger......its an essential element of any rifle. I have no grasp why you would want a gun that uses a bag of gravel in a parachute to discharge a shot. Its like a Veron with oval wheels. Might look OK but you sure as hell notice it when you operate it.