Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapid 7 pros and cons

Rapid 7 pros and cons

I'm looking into getting a Rapid 7 and selling my Hw 100 but I need to know the pros and cons before I commit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers

To be fair in sub 12 I'd keep the hw100 unless your after the massive shot count.

Good mag, cocking system and generally accurate and consistent is what I've heard of the hw100. It also looks a lot nicer in my opinion.

I've got a Rapid on my FAC and it's great but if I wanted sub 12 I'd go hw100.

Rapid 7 pros and cons

To be honest I can't fault it, I might just have to buy a Rapid and keep the Hw 100. Cheers for the advice pal.

I'm biased, I've only got 2 airguns left both Rapids .20 MFR & .25 FAC mk2.

The pros are that once sorted they're reliable, simple, sweet handling & reassuringly "chunky" and they just feel so right.

the cons are that because they're simple with interchangeable parts people tinker with them, and some people call reassuringly chunky "agricultural".

I feel the main draw back is lack of quick fill and pressure gauge, although in fairness these can be added.
    A truly iconic rifle, lots in everyday use. I had three until one went last night

The thing is I've just got my FAC and was after a gun that could do both power sets. I was going to get an FX Impact but with all the bad reviews and the top end price tag its put me off. I was wondering if any of the Rapid lads do this.

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    I feel the main draw back is lack of quick fill and pressure gauge,....
    Agree.

secretagentmole Guest
    Reason why you should buy a Rapid.
    They are simple to work on.

Reason why you should not buy a Rapid.
    They are simple to work on, so every man and possibly his dog too have had a go at "improving" it. Finding an unmolested one is hard. Finding an unmolested one in legal limits seems to be harder, I speak from experience here, bought a later model mark 1 with anti tamper on that was running at 14 ft lb with the anti tamper block still in place!

I would definitely keep the 100 as my sub 12 and get a mk2 Fac rapid in that case then. Get on the rapid forum. I like The MFR with the shrouded barrel but your limited to a 240cc bottle which isn't massive for FAC levels so I'd get a straight up mk2. Then the world is your oyster in terms of any mods etc.

If you then find you don't use the 100 then flog it. I would of loved a 100 as my FAC rifle but jut heard a lot of bad things accuracy wise (I could have lived with the low shot count and relatively low 26ft/lbs).

Looks like I'm just going to get a mk2 and sell the Hw 100. Cheers for the advice lad.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie1shot View Post
    The thing is I've just got my FAC and was after a gun that could do both power sets. I was going to get an FX Impact but with all the bad reviews and the top end price tag its put me off. I was wondering if any of the Rapid lads do this.
    Good in theory, in practice it's a royal pain in the backside,
    re-zeroing never seemed to be the same twice when I had a 3 power FX Verminator &/or the best pellet at top power might not shoot as well at a lower power.

I just use my FAC for everything other than ratting/barn shooting.

rgc_swanseaARC is offline He's not the Stig,,,He's the Stig's Welsh cousin
    Wait a bit and pick up a TTR when they become available. A few have come up on here lately.

They pretty much have the best of both worlds. They have the MFR reg so no fiddling to get the bottle on and off like the mk1 and mk2. They have an adjustable stock and a rail so you can easily add bipods or slings without drilling the limited front end woodwork on rapids.

The Mk4 trigger in the MFR/TTR is very good and the scaloped block makes loading easier if you arent using a mag.

The 280cc bottle is adequate for over 100+ shots in sub 12 (mine runs at 11.2 and i easily clear 100 before i get close to reg pressure) even at FAC if you halved that, do you need more than 50 shots at 20 odd Ft lbs? depends what power you are after i guess?

I loved my HW100. It was stunningly accurate. But, if anything went wrong, which yes its rare, but can happen, then it was a lot harder to work on than the Rapid which you can disassemble, re seal, tune and smooth out, and be back in the field within a few hours.

Hope this may help?

Regards,
    Rhys
    Theoben TTR1 .177, Steven B Blue/Grey Laminate Stock, Nutshot Mod, Hawke Sidewinder 10x42 Tac IR
    Daystate Pulsar. 177, Donny FL Sumo Mod, Pard NV008LRF

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I got a mk1 two years ago after wanting one since John Darling dumped his Hw80 for one.

Never have I been so dissapointed in a rifle! It was accurate, but not as accurate as many modern PCP's, it has a decent enough shot count, but no gauge so it had to be refilled every time it was used just in case. The mag system is fiddly and it just made me sad.

Back in the dark ages it was revolutionary, iconic and the best of te best of the best! Now it's just an overpriced relic that you just know someone has been screwing around with inside.

I still want one.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I got a mk1 two years ago after wanting one since John Darling dumped his Hw80 for one.

Never have I been so dissapointed in a rifle! It was accurate, but not as accurate as many modern PCP's, it has a decent enough shot count, but no gauge so it had to be refilled every time it was used just in case. The mag system is fiddly and it just made me sad.

Back in the dark ages it was revolutionary, iconic and the best of te best of the best! Now it's just an overpriced relic that you just know someone has been screwing around with inside.

I still want one.
    If you want a nice MFR in good condition there is one on Gunstar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie1shot View Post
    I'm looking into getting a Rapid 7 and selling my Hw 100 but I need to know the pros and cons before I commit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers
    Don't. I was after a .20 from Blackpool Air Rifle for a while and it just happened that a chap I shoot with bought a .177 rapid 7. The gun felt solid but agricultural compared to my HW 100. No more accurate but inconsinstent and actually pretty rough. It put me off an dprobably saved me £750.00 for something I didn't need.
    The FACs are supposed to very good but then you'd be buying a tool that in all probability is really well used. People who bought these guns didn't buy them to hang in the display cabinet.

A.G