Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rapid 7 pros and cons

Cheers lads

I've owned quite a few HW100's and Rapid's yet no Rapid I've ever owned (std or FAC) has ever been as easy, practical and dare I say accurate to use and shoot as the HW100 but guess what I now own and use..... 2 x Rapid's

In my opinion the HW100 is the BMW of the air rifle world, excellent Germany engineering that's practical, easy to use (although not the best looking) but it just doesn't have that "I want one" appeal that the Rapid has

By the way, I drive a company car and it's a BMW yet I'd love to change it for something a bit sportier and better looking but I won't because it's practical, powerful, economical and reasonable on the BIK tax

Quote Originally Posted by Thegogg View Post

In my opinion the HW100 is the BMW of the air rifle world, excellent Germany engineering that's practical, easy to use (although not the best looking) but it just doesn't have that "I want one" appeal that the Rapid has

I think you might be right - I've just looked, and there are no turn indicators on my HW100

Back to the Rapid - no pressure gauge, no quick fill, infinitely inferior magazine/loading system. quirky scope mounts - but they do have a purposeful character.

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    gauge and qf can easily be fited but I my self don't like them.the little gauges you find on guns are not that accurate any way plus give a few more places to leak.nothing wrong with removing bottle to fill.
    kevG

I have both and wouldn't get rid of any of them.

My HW100 in .20 is a fantastic rifle, it's accurate, easy to shoot, functional and is well built, I don't worry about it going wrong they're easy to fix.

I have six Rapid's, they're iconic, beautifully engineered, do what it says on the box and easy to work on. All mine are deadly accurate, I did have to tune the barrel on my MK2 but that now shoots any pellet accurately.

For a day out in the field my first choice is the HW100 for the magazine and loading system, this is closely followed by the MFR in .20. For pest control, rats, ferals etc, garden pests the Rapid MK2 in .22 with Falcon Accuracy Plus is my go to gun.

A Rapid shoots just as well as any modern gun if not better, the HW100 just edges it due to the loading/mag but if I kept one gun it'd be a Rapid.

Just sold the Hw 100 and I'm taking the plunge and getting a mk2 Rapid if I can find one. Cheers lads.

some good lads round your way who know the rapids well.so you will not be left high n dry.
    kevG

Iv had both (lots of Hw100k) I prefer the Hw100k for 12ft/lbs. easier to fill, smoother and better mag. The rapid I had was a MFR very nice but I seemed to catch the bolt often when I was hunting, which became annoying hence why I sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie1shot View Post
    I'm looking into getting a Rapid 7 and selling my Hw 100 but I need to know the pros and cons before I commit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers
    The Rapid is an agricultural gun. That's its beauty. Its also its Achilles heel as the 100 is so much more refined and capable.

If you like tinkering then the Rapid offers that opportunity.

Of the two I would go 100 and if you want shot count I would convert the 100 to a capacity bottle.

The trigger and mag system on the 100 is better than the Rapid - and to get a decent trigger on a rapid, you have to go to a newer version. Most rapid triggers are either poor or agricultural too.

However, they are both good kit and do what they say on the tin. I would recommend both but having had both, I would go for the 100 every single time.

The ONLY TRUE advantage I see in the Rapid over the 100 is if you stray into FAC outputs. The 100 is great as a sub 12 but pants in FAC and the Rapid is excellent in FAC. Even then, I love my Air Ranger better.

I think overall, I prefer the sophistication and slick operation of the 100. The mag system and even the SSA just cant be touched even in todays market.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I would not really call the hw100 refined.you only need to take a look at the reg.worked on both and I my self have 5 rapids but no hw100.think what puts some shooters of rapids is when they get a bad example that's been messed with and set up wrong.to say they are easy to work on you dont half see some cock ups.
    kevG

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    some good lads round your way who know the rapids well.so you will not be left high n dry.
    kevG
    That's one of the reasons I'm getting one KevG. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    I would not really call the hw100 refined.you only need to take a look at the reg.worked on both and I my self have 5 rapids but no hw100.think what puts some shooters of rapids is when they get a bad example that's been messed with and set up wrong.to say they are easy to work on you dont half see some cock ups.
    kevG
    Hmmm. so you are saying a rifle that has one of the crappest triggers on record ( and for pretty much during the greater part of its lifetime) and a sticky out mag that gets gummy is more refined than a 100 mag system. IIRC the decent trigger were Mk4 unless you count the Anschutz unit. My Mk1 was a a huge pile of poo but I loved it.

Kev I know your a Rapid nut and I agree the rapid is a fine rifle, but in no way is this gun refined. Its the whole reason why a Rapid is a Rapid.

As for the reg.....well reg or knock open valves...to be frank....both also do the job and well.

The argument is there is more than way to meter air and some like one system and others another.....

But you cannot argue that the mag system on a raid is better than the 100. I have had both and the 100 walks it. And as the mag system on a multishot is pretty much what it is all about.....

BUT......Rapids are good solid guns - on that I think we are agreed. You can certainly do a lot worse. But they are not refined at all.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

never said a rapid was refined.its as refined as a 68 land rover.
    but does the job.at the end of the day it's about personal opinion.one man's meat one man's poison.main gripe for me with the hw100 is the two piece action block and shity reg.some of the barrels were not that good either.
    kevG

I sold my HW100 S to fund a very nice condition mk2 in .177. Biggest air rifle related mistake I've made to date.

Even though it had numerous upgraded parts, My 100 was so much more accurate and the more easier and practical rifle to live with, I sold the rapid within a month.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It's funny isn't it ?

I've shot them both, and whilst the HW is more refined, it doesn't do it for me... much prefer the simplicity of the rapid, the ease of stripping and servicing, the solidity, and the availability of cheap (or easily machined up) parts, and indeed aftermarket support. When I used to hunt, I also liked the ability to remove the mag and de-cock.

It is also very much easier and cheaper to build them up / modify them to your personal reqs, e.g. I had one with an air tube instead of a bottle, lightened stock, slimmer barrel. Obviously lower shot count but it weighted nothing...

For sure there are some rapids with really crap triggers, but a CDT or WW blade sorts those gamo triggers out a treat.

Keeping my Rapid, even though I'm a springer man... JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.