Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rapid 7 pros and cons

Quote Originally Posted by kevG View Post
    fit a trigger shoe.the sears can be polished to get rid of any creep.a little trick is to use tooth past as a mild polish.
    kevG
    Cheers kev

From personal experience I would chose a HW100 every day of the week and twice on a weekend over any Rapid.
    I had a Rapid and to this day I hate that vile thing... Inaccurate, blew seals, mag springs pinging undone, no pressure gauge, internals messed with by every previous owner and there dog (as others say). No mater how simple it is to take a rifle a part don`t.... leave it to the professionals and pay the money to have it sorted correctly. I would rather spend a bit of extra over time cash or save a bit to afford it to be done properly rather than faff myself, get it wrong possibly having acted on other folks incorrect advise and have lost my time doing it only to have to pay some who knows what they are doing to put it right.
    For me the Rapid is a sadist`s choice, someone who always wants there to be something wrong to mess with or repair/replace and improve. A rifle is for shooting not taking a part every 5 minutes, Keep the HW100 and use it, enjoy shooting it.

Below are others with the same thought and feelings, we have been there and tried it so can advise first hand !

ATB

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Reason why you should buy a Rapid.
    They are simple to work on.

Reason why you should not buy a Rapid.
    They are simple to work on, so every man and possibly his dog too have had a go at "improving" it. Finding an unmolested one is hard. Finding an unmolested one in legal limits seems to be harder, I speak from experience here, bought a later model mark 1 with anti tamper on that was running at 14 ft lb with the anti tamper block still in place!

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    .The Rapid is an agricultural gun. That's its beauty. Its also its Achilles heel as the 100 is so much more refined and capable

If you like tinkering then the Rapid offers that opportunity.

Of the two I would go 100 and if you want shot count I would convert the 100 to a capacity bottle.

The trigger and mag system on the 100 is better than the Rapid - and to get a decent trigger on a rapid, you have to go to a newer version. Most rapid triggers are either poor or agricultural too.

However, they are both good kit and do what they say on the tin. I would recommend both but having had both, I would go for the 100 every single time.

The ONLY TRUE advantage I see in the Rapid over the 100 is if you stray into FAC outputs. The 100 is great as a sub 12 but pants in FAC and the Rapid is excellent in FAC. Even then, I love my Air Ranger better.

I think overall, I prefer the sophistication and slick operation of the 100. The mag system and even the SSA just cant be touched even in todays market.
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpy leon View Post
    I sold my HW100 S to fund a very nice condition mk2 in .177. Biggest air rifle related mistake I've made to date.

Even though it had numerous upgraded parts, My 100 was so much more accurate and the more easier and practical rifle to live with, I sold the rapid within a month.
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

Quote Originally Posted by salop sniper View Post
    From personal experience I would chose a HW100 every day of the week and twice on a weekend over any Rapid.
    I had a Rapid and to this day I hate that vile thing... Inaccurate, blew seals, mag springs pinging undone, no pressure gauge, internals messed with by every previous owner and there dog (as others say). No mater how simple it is to take a rifle a part don`t.... leave it to the professionals and pay the money to have it sorted correctly. I would rather spend a bit of extra over time cash or save a bit to afford it to be done properly rather than faff myself, get it wrong possibly having acted on other folks incorrect advise and have lost my time doing it only to have to pay some who knows what they are doing to put it right.
    For me the Rapid is a sadist`s choice, someone who always wants there to be something wrong to mess with or repair/replace and improve. A rifle is for shooting not taking a part every 5 minutes, Keep the HW100 and use it, enjoy shooting it.

Below are others with the same thought and feelings, we have been there and tried it so can advise first hand !

ATB

Matt
    Just as well you didnt have a Daystate then

never said a rapid was refined.its as refined as a 68 land rover.
    but does the job.at the end of the day it's about personal opinion.one man's meat one man's poison.main gripe for me with the hw100 is the two piece action block and shity reg.some of the barrels were not that good either.
    kevG
    Ok....but thats not answering the point. Is the Rapid as refined as an HW100. The answer is very clear.as you made the analogy...the Rapid is like a land rover and that is not refined either. The only thing I would say is that the rapid is reliable whereas the 68 isnt.

The two peice action block ....I have never had an issue with the 100s I have had other than one being bent at an RFD when being put back into a stock.
    The reg....never an issue with that either.
    The barrels ...well they had a dodgy batch....they also had a dodgy batch of mods too but HOW LONG was it befor Theoben came up with any sort of decent trigger at all.........the answer is YEARS. Most weirauchs have good triggers and have for donkeys years.

Your arguments dont hold water Kev 😊😊😊😊 and ya know it lad xxx

If you want meccano and like spanners the Rapid is the kiddy and if its FAC Rapid all day long. If you want refinement...untouchable magazine and cocking and smooth trigger then 100.

As for the trigger......its an essential element of any rifle. I have no grasp why you would want a gun that uses a bag of gravel in a parachute to discharge a shot. Its like a Veron with oval wheels. Might look OK but you sure as hell notice it when you operate it.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by 12/200 View Post
    Just as well you didnt have a Daystate then

I had a MK4 for 7 years without a single issue and have had a FAC Huntsman classic 6years without issue too. If i did have a problem am half hour from daystate and would have them sort it for me!
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

I had an Airwolf which was a nightmare and I have an air ranger which is sweet and a keeper. It is an FAC though which is another good FAC gun.

What one person likes, another hates, I have 4 Rapids, I wouldn't swap any of them for an hw100.

All of mine are more accurate than me,the mk4 triggers are as good as any other I have tried, even my rapid with the gamo is fine (infact its my go to hunting gun) I must admit though some are rubbish.

Personally I like a self indexing mag, far easier to replace a mag than repair a index system that is fitted to the gun.

As for a q/f and gauge, a cheap an easy upgrade (if that's what you want) but I'm not bothered with those either, more things to go wrong.

3 of my guns have regs, they give a few extra shots with no power curve but they don't make the gun more accurate than the unregged gun.

I also like the scope mounts and the cocking bolt.

Reliability, my old mk1 has shot 100s of thousands of pellets, had it for over 20 years, only ever let me down once, a blown o ring that cost 10p and 5 mins to fix. Other than a recent service on the regs of the other 3, none have caused any issues.

Bb

Quote Originally Posted by bucketboy View Post
    What one person likes, another hates, I have 4 Rapids, I wouldn't swap any of them for an hw100.

All of mine are more accurate than me,the mk4 triggers are as good as any other I have tried, even my rapid with the gamo is fine (infact its my go to hunting gun) I must admit though some are rubbish.

Personally I like a self indexing mag, far easier to replace a mag than repair a index system that is fitted to the gun.

As for a q/f and gauge, a cheap an easy upgrade (if that's what you want) but I'm not bothered with those either, more things to go wrong.

3 of my guns have regs, they give a few extra shots with no power curve but they don't make the gun more accurate than the unregged gun.

I also like the scope mounts and the cocking bolt.

Reliability, my old mk1 has shot 100s of thousands of pellets, had it for over 20 years, only ever let me down once, a blown o ring that cost 10p and 5 mins to fix. Other than a recent service on the regs of the other 3, none have caused any issues.

Bb

A lot of what you say is true. You say you would not swap to.a 100 but have you owned and shot one on a regular basis.
    I have had both and if you have a mk4 trigger then thats a good place to be. Brlefore that....it was crap. Mine had a tuned Gammo.....and it was still shite. The mag isnt as good as the 100....not by any stretch of the imagination and if tlyou want to have a dedicated NV scope then the mag totally fubars that idea.
    As you say....good to have the choice. I have tried a few rifles in my time and to date..the 100 has ticked more boxes than any other rifle.
    It aint perfect...of course it isnt....i cant think.of a single rifle that is.....they aĺl have limitations. But the 100 is a great allounder and on trigger and mag system alone...its a tough act to follow.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by salop sniper View Post

ATB

Matt
    Matt, KevG can verify that mine was a rare as rockinghorse manure unmolested mark 1, still had the anti tamper in place, but still made 14 ft lb! Theoben quality was variable. Which is why mine went to see KevG who sorted it out for a price that did not make my eyes water and transformed the gun (actually made it legal for a bloody start).

It was accurate, the magazine was not a problem to load, quite simple in fact, once you got the knack of it! It was a good gun, problem is finding one that has not been in the hands of a bad tuner, there are many out there and many instructions on how to make them better, some tips are better than others, some people's abilities better than others.

If you do find one, my advice is to get it to someone who knows what they are doing, like KevG as they can sort the problems out.

The RAW HM1000 or HM1000x from the states is a very nice gun with an excellent reputation. It is a variation on the Rapid with a lever action. I ave two of them and they have been very reliable and very accurate.

best group I have ever shot at 50 yrds was with a .177 early gamo trigger rapid.stop being snobs about triggers lol
    kevG
    Its nothing to do with snobbery Kev....thats a fascile argument.
    Its about additional layers of accuracy.
    You dont buy good kit and then put something that is crap and recognised as such into the chain of command......well you do if its a gammo Rapid����.
    And whilst I loved my Rapid 17 which had a gorgeous Wilson maple tiger stripe FT stock and range finding scope on it...I recognise that the mk1 gammo trigger was a bucket of pooh. It always was. It always will be.And up to the mk4 most rapid triggers were indufferent at best.
    A trigger is a very important part of accurate shooting. It isnt essential but once you know the difference it aint rocket science. My Steyr trigger was sweet. My 100 was sweet but its lost its edge a little after an "expert pro" worked on it.
    My first rabbit was with that Rapid 17 rifle and at 50 yds to boot. Took me an hour plus and it dropped on the spot but its still a shite trigger.
    Why make anything thats accurate then deliberately put a weak link in the chain.
    You dont buy a decent rifle and scope then put cheap chinese mounts on and expect it will be "allright"....same with a barrel etc. I can shoot a rifle with a shit trigger. Its easy. You just know its shit and you know its an element that removes the ability to repeat and feel the shot.
    So there isnt any such thing as trigger snobbery or even scope snobbery. Its a balance between a minimum standard of engineering to do an important job for which cost can vary considerably.
    The Gammo and a lot of the Rapid triggers just didnt past muster. The rest of the gun...agricultural but honest and very capable to varying degrees like many others before it and subsequent to it.
    Last edited by Steyr; 24-09-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Matt, KevG can verify that mine was a rare as rockinghorse manure unmolested mark 1, still had the anti tamper in place, but still made 14 ft lb! Theoben quality was variable. Which is why mine went to see KevG who sorted it out for a price that did not make my eyes water and transformed the gun (actually made it legal for a bloody start).

It was accurate, the magazine was not a problem to load, quite simple in fact, once you got the knack of it! It was a good gun, problem is finding one that has not been in the hands of a bad tuner, there are many out there and many instructions on how to make them better, some tips are better than others, some people's abilities better than others.

If you do find one, my advice is to get it to someone who knows what they are doing, like KevG as they can sort the problems out.
    Yes, another downside is that every part seems to be subject to change and inconsistency from factory spec. Having just found my mk2 block is missing some machining inside......
    You get the impression there are a few "parts bin" rifles out there from factory.

But it does have the anschutz trigger so I'll forgive it.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post
    Yes, another downside is that every part seems to be subject to change and inconsistency from factory spec. Having just found my mk2 block is missing some machining inside......
    You get the impression there are a few "parts bin" rifles out there from factory.

I have heard a few came out via the factory back door, no idea if thats true or not

kevG is offline Longest unaltered member...
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_h View Post

what machining is missing
    kevG

what machining is missing
    kevG
    Nothing overly major. I was wondering why I couldn't get the valve port/ grub screw hole to line up where they should, the valve just wouldn't push in far enough. Turns out unlike most (or so I thought but I'd stand corrected) mk2's mine doesn't have the recess for the oring (the small one on the valve tail).

Which isn't the end of the world, I'm guessing I can just remove that oring from the valve and It might seal anyway.