Thread: Barrel length on a 30s

Barrel length on a 30s

After having plucked up the courage to strip and fettle one one my 99’s (thanks tinbum for the advice) I’m thinking about turning my attention to one of my 30’s.

I have a couple in .177 and there’s nothing inherently wrong with either, well I think so, but I fancy some informal 10 metre at my local club and in my garden so I was just wondering over this long/short barrel debate.

One rifle is the kit version with the 13 inch barrel plus weight but no opens and the other is the standard length with opens of which I have removed the rear/near sight element piece so it doesn’t blur the scope image and also foul the flip up scope covers.

Is there a real difference in accuracy between the two? I’m thinking probably not but I’m still learning and I need to choose which rifle to adopt for this project.

On scope choice, something 2-7 x 32 AO maybe an Airmax or similar or would something 3-9 x 40 AO be over the top, that said it's a "project" though.

Thank you.

I have the Airmax 2-7x32 AO on my 30K & I find it's excellent, relatively small & light.

As far as accuracy goes it's great out to 40 yds, even with hobbys. Didn't realise the barrel is shorter, just thought the weight slipped over the end! Duh.

Don't know about the full length but as you have both I would've thought you could do a direct comparison.

Either way if you haven't already stripped them, be aware there is quite a bit of preload so be careful you don't damage the small screw that holds the block in.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    After having plucked up the courage to strip and fettle one one my 99’s (thanks tinbum for the advice) I’m thinking about turning my attention to one of my 30’s.

I have a couple in .177 and there’s nothing inherently wrong with either, well I think so, but I fancy some informal 10 metre at my local club and in my garden so I was just wondering over this long/short barrel debate.

One rifle is the kit version with the 13 inch barrel plus weight but no opens and the other is the standard length with opens of which I have removed the rear/near sight element piece so it doesn’t blur the scope image and also foul the flip up scope covers.

Is there a real difference in accuracy between the two? I’m thinking probably not but I’m still learning and I need to choose which rifle to adopt for this project.

On scope choice, something 2-7 x 32 AO maybe an Airmax or similar or would something 3-9 x 40 AO be over the top, that said it's a "project" though.

Thank you.
    dont get into barrel shortening its not worth it. an excellent addition is a tinbum barrel sleeve it steadies the gun for standing shots. for me it does.

Use the standard version with open sights and a front ring element*.

At 10m a scope isn't needed, the low comb on the Lil'30 isn't great with a scope and it'll handle better when shot as Herman intended.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    * paper targets. If you're shooting plinking targets and struggling to see the front element then add some colour to it for contrast against the target. Tippex and any colour marker pen, sticky paper, your nail varnish etc etc will all work.

Thanks for your replies. It will be for 10m benchrest at my local club, the back garden reference is for keeping my eye in / practice on the same style five ring cards at 10m so sorry for any confusion. It's just that I wanted to dedicate either the 300mm or 395mm variant not both and needed to know which was the likely most accurate of the two and invest some time in that particular one. Okay, I'll have a dabble with both and take it from there.

Cheers.

Portzy,

Stick an aperture sight on the back of the HW30S, and use a 'fat' post (3 mm) on the front, or a suitable aperture foresight element.

I have a Gehmann 590 rear-sight and a Centra Score tunnel with 4.6/1 Centra High-End element up front on my 0.177" HW30S, and it shoots beautifully.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ