Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hft500 or Goldstar se?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    Give me a regged gun every time. If you bought a HFT500 for HFT you would have to buy a hamster and pay for a reg.
    Why does he have to pay for a REG or Hampster? Even if the MV variance was in the order of 20 ft/s it would only make less than 0.15" of difference in POI at 45 yards and almost nothing of note under 35 yards. A none reged 500 filled to its sweet spot of 165 bar will have a good 80 shots within 15 ft/s down to 120 bar. There are only 30 targets in HFT, 10 shots to warm up, 20 to zero and range before the comp and there is still enough left to go another round.
    Hamster is of no practical use in HFT. It looks good but a lot of people will do without them and do quite well. Only because it is on a Steyr or Walther or FWB which were all target rifles for FT in the first place and meant to be shot off the knee , does not mean a hamster is necessary.
    I have a BSA R10 MKii which works fine but I also know of two people who bought the SE for HFTand within two weeks they got rid of them, one bought an Airwolf and the other an HW 100.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    A none reged 500 filled to its sweet spot of 165 bar will have a good 80 shots within 15 ft/s down to 120 bar.
    Hamster is of no practical use in HFT. It looks good but a lot of people will do without them and do quite well.
    Regarding the sweet spot, first you have to find it, then you have to remember to fill it to the correct pressure every time. I expect we have all over filled at some point. Also seems a waste not to be able to use the full fill of the gun.
    As for the Hampster, I find them useful for standing shots, would fit one every time.

I've owned an Ultimate Sporter and a Goldstar se in the past - they're both excellent rifles and both very capable.

I think, if it was purely for competition use, I'd go with the Goldstar - it's such a nicely balanced rifle, I found it easy to shoot from most positions.

But, as already said, the HW100kt with the adjustable laminate stock trumps both

All of the above.