Thread: What Head Size for a .22 HW80?

What Head Size for a .22 HW80?

I'm going to get a load of JSB Exacts for my HW80, any recommendations on the head size, I'm inclined to go for 5.52mm.
    Thanks lads.

My 80 does like 5.52 Exacts but they are too expensive for my wallet. I use either Superdomes or Hobbys.

4.52mm/5.52mm seem to work well enough in Weihrauchs in general, but I think it's more down to finding a good die...

I have had good results with 5.52mm from JSB Exact Jumbo and Air Arms Field branded pellets, I also used to get excellent grouping from H&N FTT's in 5.52 but I haven't tried them recently.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

I've got a theory that the 5.52 won't matter after they're in the breech & resized accordingly, but I'm going to be getting a few so I want to do my best to start off right. I appreciate people taking the time to reply.
    Thanks very much.

If I were you I would not buy a load of a pellet until I knew that my gun liked them. I must be unlucky because my 22 80 and 22 99 don't like the 16 grain JSBs. They prefer falcon accuracy plus.

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    If I were you I would not buy a load of a pellet until I knew that my gun liked them. I must be unlucky because my 22 80 and 22 99 don't like the 16 grain JSBs. They prefer falcon accuracy plus.

Max
    I find that 16 grains is a bit on the heavy side for a sub-12 ft/lb springer...

I would certainly try some FTT before buying a load of the JSB which are quite heavy for legal limit but if your rifle prefers them then fine. That being said my HW80 definitely prefers FTT right up to 22 ft lb on my Maglaza version but yours may not.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Mine likes the lightweight exacts - and trophies
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I find that 16 grains is a bit on the heavy side for a sub-12 ft/lb springer...
    I agree so actually I'm not that unlucky
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

There are other options with JSB such as the 14.3 grain Exact Jumbo Express (also sold as "Webley Mosquito Express") I have only found them in 5.52mm and they do work well in HW80's. Then there is the JSB Jumbo RS at 13.4 grain, commonly badged up as "Falcon Accuracy Plus" again only a 5.52mm option but these are phenomenal out of my HW80. 1/2" groups at 50 yards on a still day when I'm on form.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    There are other options with JSB such as the 14.3 grain Exact Jumbo Express (also sold as "Webley Mosquito Express") I have only found them in 5.52mm and they do work well in HW80's. Then there is the JSB Jumbo RS at 13.4 grain, commonly badged up as "Falcon Accuracy Plus" again only a 5.52mm option but these are phenomenal out of my HW80. 1/2" groups at 50 yards on a still day when I'm on form.
    I think you will find that the 14.3 grain pellets on the market today are all basically the Crosman Premiers/Accupells badged up by others to be sold at premium prices. As you say they are very good and performed well in every 80 I have ever owned or handled. I use FTT only because I have a lot of them and they perform just as well so why change?
    As for head size following a post on this forum some while ago I just ignore it these days. Providing the pellets stays in the breech when I latch it up it I have found no difference in performance between the various head sizes. I really can't be bothered to go over every pellet with a micrometer screw gauge-I'd rather be shooting!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I think you will find that the 14.3 grain pellets on the market today are all basically the Crosman Premiers/Accupells badged up by others to be sold at premium prices. As you say they are very good and performed well in every 80 I have ever owned or handled. I use FTT only because I have a lot of them and they perform just as well so why change?
    As for head size following a post on this forum some while ago I just ignore it these days. Providing the pellets stays in the breech when I latch it up it I have found no difference in performance between the various head sizes. I really can't be bothered to go over every pellet with a micrometer screw gauge-I'd rather be shooting!
    Sorry I beg to differ, the Webley Mosquito's are certainly not Crosman Accupel/Premier pellets, they are manufactured by JSB in Czechoslovakia.
    Webley badged Accupels were indeed Crosman Accupels with a different label.
    Some barrels are far more pellet tolerant than others, this includes tolerance to head size as well as pellet type and while the sizes marked on the bottom of tins only reflect what the manufacturers claim to be the average for that tin some manufacturers are better than others at Q.C. and selection of and labeling their products.
    I have on many occasions noted differences in groupings between AA Field and JSB Exact, also between Bisley Magnum and H&N Baracuda even though the tins quote the same nominal head size. This could always be due to different batches suiting/not suiting the particular barrel under test or it could be due to different quality control measures being applied, the only rule I can say stands is that each and every barrel is different, doesn't matter if it's a springer or a pcp you just have to find the best pellet to suit your barrel and some seem top be pretty size fussy while others aren't. Clear as mud innit?
    You don't need to measure every pellet, I simply do a quick visual inspection when loading, rejecting any obviously damaged pellets with mis-shaped heads or skirts. If I don't get a good 10 shot group after 50 to 100 pellets I move on to another type/size etc, cleaning the barrel if changing manufacturer and leading in before assessing grouping. Simple procedure just time consuming, but if using a gun for pest control or competition use it's the only way.