Thread: Was there a reason why the indent ball holder was changed on the TX?

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Was there a reason why the indent ball holder was changed on the TX?

I personally liked the old round type but was it changed because of a fault.

https://imgur.com/5ytUQvD

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

Don't get out much with mine as the WTC dinky scope is broke on it (which I should change over) but when I have done Ive been very impressed by this gun. I wasn't aware there was an issue with the lock up on them?

Dave

On the MarkIII guns, the full length has always had the ugly slab side holder. The HC version was round for years, but was changed a couple of years ago. Both my full length MarkIII's have the old round HC holder, since it's a direct swap. You might be able to find some old stock of the round part, but it may be difficult. All the old MarkI and MarkII guns had the round holder, but it doesn't fit the new guns and isn't available. Forgot to say, I'm sure there was no fault so it must be a money savings for AA.

Quote Originally Posted by FPoole View Post
    On the MarkIII guns, the full length has always had the ugly slab side holder. The HC version was round for years, but was changed a couple of years ago. Both my full length MarkIII's have the old round HC holder, since it's a direct swap. You might be able to find some old stock of the round part, but it may be difficult. All the old MarkI and MarkII guns had the round holder, but it doesn't fit the new guns and isn't available. Forgot to say, I'm sure there was no fault so it must be a money savings for AA.
    Thanks, interesting info

reckon it was to cut costs and have just one indent ball holder made..
    personally I do not like the flat side one on the new stuff..

I Wish AA had made the choice to standardise indent ball holder to the round type..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    functionally the same.

interesting the older guns had the ball the other way round, i.e. ball in the underlever, detent in the muzzle.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I've had 2 early HC's recently with the rounded type that are far more pleasing to the eye, but both rounded type had slight movement and would twist. They are basically a round catch mounted to a round shroud so very little contact area.

The later FUGLY square catch has a recess cut out in the top to allow the shroud to sit in the catch and will not move.

FUGLY but more secure. I wont be buying one though
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    I've had 2 early HC's recently with the rounded type that are far more pleasing to the eye, but both rounded type had slight movement and would twist. They are basically a round catch mounted to a round shroud so very little contact area.

The later FUGLY square catch has a recess cut out in the top to allow the shroud to sit in the catch and will not move.

FUGLY but more secure. I wont be buying one though
    So one expiation for changing it is that the old round type could twist, I wonder if it is common.

So one expiation for changing it is that the old round type could twist, I wonder if it is common.
    the round one had a large channel milled in it that matched the profile of the shroud, so as long as it's done up tight, no issue.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    the round one had a large channel milled in it that matched the profile of the shroud, so as long as it's done up tight, no issue.
    I'm pleased to hear that

A bit off topic but are there any fixes for the little rubber grommet that breaks off? I'm fed up of fitting new ones.

I'm pleased to hear that

A bit off topic but are there any fixes for the little rubber grommet that breaks off? I'm fed up of fitting new ones.
    hah.. i just filled the hole with expoy and coloured it. Not really a fix, but it's durable.

I'm pleased to hear that

'Carp Tail Rubbers' They can be loctited into the hole, cut down and seem to last. Used them on 2 of my TXs for several years with no issues. Very cheap from the auction site.
    Keen but clueless..

I've just placed an appropriately sized o ring over the grooved bit at the end of the underlever.