Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New to the Vulcan

I thought I should compliment my burgeoning collection with a couple of rifles that I feel I should own or at least have experienced. One of the guns towards the top of that list is the Webley Vulcan. Why? Well this thread extols the virtues enough, for me not to have to go back over that ground. Let's just say, it was conspicuous by its absence. I thought it would be interesting to follow the journey of my new Vulcan from the day of purchase (which was yesterday in fact). I picked this up at auction yesterday. Id like to get it shooting well and will review it and perhaps report back with some 'stats' when Ive had a chance to play.

Serial number 561738. The first thing I am trying to do is age it, and identify the correct model. Walnut stock (No checkering though.)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    G
    Last edited by GSMN1; 21-03-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: retry image link
    https://www.walnut.black

Great looking Vulcan! Nice find! I think its a mk1, from about end 1979.
    Dont think its a Deluxe, its missing sling swivels and chequering
    ATB,
    yana

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    I thought I should compliment my burgeoning collection with a couple of rifles that I feel I should own or at least have experienced. One of the guns towards the top of that list is the Webley Vulcan. Why? Well this thread extols the virtues enough, for me not to have to go back over that ground. Let's just say, it was conspicuous by its absence. I thought it would be interesting to follow the journey of my new Vulcan from the day of purchase (which was yesterday in fact). I picked this up at auction yesterday. Id like to get it shooting well and will review it and perhaps report back with some 'stats' when Ive had a chance to play.

Serial number 561738. The first thing I am trying to do is age it, and identify the correct model. Walnut stock (No checkering though.)

Many thanks
    G
    Hi fellow 'G' (lol). Not sure if there was a Delux in the MK.I, but there was a Special Edition (with a top grade chequered walnut stock of which only 110 were made -- see above), and a Special Export (walnut stock but not as top draw as the Special Edition) which were more mass produced. There were also a number of MK.I Vulcans made with plain walnut stock of which yours is one (a lovely gun btw ). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gents many thanks. Now I know model and brief history so will crack on review performance etc and report back. Cheers G
    https://www.walnut.black

Gents many thanks. Now I know model and brief history so will crack on review performance etc and report back. Cheers G
    Glad this thread helped, and welcome to the Vulcan owner's elite . Atb from a 'fellow G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Special edition info

Hi,
    Just got got a Vulcan se . The serial number is 900***. Was wondering if it is a Special Editon.
    It’s in really good shape.
    Thanks .
    Simon.

Many thanks
    G
    I suspect thats a pretty rare rifle there. To be dull it would be a lesser rifle if overly tuned up; basics fine.
    The MKII in Walnut and checkering less rare and I've had a couple. All shoot like a Vulcan only can...agriculturally.

I've a soft shot for MKI's and think they should be given more respect. Hard to find mint ones, and even excellent isn't easy as they age badly. Plenty of beaters to shoot with. I have had both clibres and though I'm a .177 fan these are best in .22 for the pure whollop of it all. .177 are far rarer, probably no more than 20% made in the calibre.

Thread bumped back ttt for the attention of BBS member Gamocfx. Hope it helps? Atb:G.