Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pjbingham View Post
    I have just got my very first Vulcan at the tender age of 47. I wanted one as a teenager but funds back then only stretched as far as a well used Airsporter. The Vulcan is a gift from a friend and although it’s had virtually no use at all it hasn’t been stored very well and has a fine sprinkling of rust over most of the external metalwork which I’m rectifying as best as possible today. He believes he purchased it new in 1989/90 but could be as late as 1992. It has white spacers on the stock and a serial number of 776764, would anybody know if that makes it a Mk2 or Mk3 please? Thanks,Phil.
    Hi Phil

Buy some 0000 grade wire wool,Soak it in light oil (3 in 1) and give it five minutes rubbing- It'll make a world of difference!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Phil

Buy some 0000 grade wire wool,Soak it in light oil (3 in 1) and give it five minutes rubbing- It'll make a world of difference!!

John
    Hi John, thanks that was what I ended up doing and it turned out better than I had hoped for It’s a little bit ‘freckly’ in a few spots but I can live with that.
    Around midnight last night I was at the kitchen table re-painting all the gold lettering much to her indoors annoyance
    The rear site was badly broken but I’m going to put a scope on it anyway but the best thing about it is it has had literally no use,it was bought on a whim by my mate and just sat there,there is zero wear to it so internally all it’s had is a bit of a polish and lube and I’ve replaced the piston seal with a parachute style one. The original looked brand new but was very tight in the chamber, do they swell like the Mercury/Airsporter seals? Atb,Phil

I had two Vulcan KS rifles in 22 Cal and one of them really liked those self assembly Prometheus pellets. Wish I'd never sold them. Recently started building a Stingray from a box of bits, bent barrel and butchered and snapped stock screws. Does anyone know what thread size were used by Webley before they went Turkish?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddbob08 View Post
    I had two Vulcan KS rifles in 22 Cal and one of them really liked those self assembly Prometheus pellets. Wish I'd never sold them. Recently started building a Stingray from a box of bits, bent barrel and butchered and snapped stock screws. Does anyone know what thread size were used by Webley before they went Turkish?
    Thats the weird thing, they combined metric and UNC, at least on the Vulcan.
    I have measured the front stocks screws on the Vulcan to be 3/16x24, and the rear stock screw going into the back block to be a standard M5.
    The self threading front screw on the trigger guard can be replaced with a 3/16x24.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Thats the weird thing, they combined metric and UNC, at least on the Vulcan.
    I have measured the front stocks screws on the Vulcan to be 3/16x24, and the rear stock screw going into the back block to be a standard M5.
    The self threading front screw on the trigger guard can be replaced with a 3/16x24.
    Thanks evert,
    I'd noticed an M5 fits the rear block, it's the same on my Eclipse, though that now has a pair of M5 in the front..... I'd bought some off Chambers for the Stingray and thought they looked a bit Imperial, rather like some stainless ones I bought for a Rapid 7 a while ago, but I didn't want to wind them in as they're reportedly made out of chocolate. I want to get a tap and tidy the threads up, or cut a slot down a suitable screw and use that, it sometimes cleans a thread up without cutting deeper into the metal.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's got a fat grip
    And a skinny trigger blade
    No second pull just the one I'm afraid
    The barrel will wobble
    And the plastic sight break on sight
    A safety but no beartrap
    And a seal on the port side
    A big funnel at the breech
    But the blueing is a peach
    It's a Webley Vulcan and its got
    TWELVE FOOT PAAAHNDS TWELVE FOOT PAAAAHNDS TWELVE FOOT PAAAAHNDS
    They looked at the foreign competition and decided to take notes
    Lost them in the pub or somewhere, a trouser in the wash?
    Then upgraded the old Hawks, those manky old goats.
    Webley ... six letters exported to young Turkey.
    Good luck with that mate.

A badly designed poem for a badly designed springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's got a fat grip
    And a skinny trigger blade
    No second pull just the one I'm afraid
    The barrel will wobble
    And the plastic sight break on sight
    A safety but no beartrap
    And a seal on the port side
    A big funnel at the breech
    But the blueing is a peach
    It's a Webley Vulcan and its got
    TWELVE FOOT PAAAHNDS TWELVE FOOT PAAAAHNDS TWELVE FOOT PAAAAHNDS
    They looked at the foreign competition and decided to take notes
    Lost them in the pub or somewhere, a trouser in the wash?
    Then upgraded the old Hawks, those manky old goats.
    Webley ... six letters exported to young Turkey.
    Good luck with that mate.

A badly designed poem for a badly designed springer.
    The Webley Vulcan trigger
    Is quite a peach
    If you know what your doing
    Or as it once was, solely missed
    A Steve Pope or Venom sweet tweak
    A Mk3 trigger blade is just the fatty that we all seek
    And fits all the models
    A rounded end plug so neat

The ups grades were not lost
    Or maybe just lost on you
    But agree that since Webley went to Turkey
    Things have turned to goo
    But look on the bright side
    There's more than a few that's about
    For a Mk1 2 & 3 Vulcan
    Is British no doubt
    Last edited by HW777; 11-02-2022 at 05:04 PM. Reason: A friendly edit ; )
    Hw77+7

The hours spent in chase of a sensation - the perfect piston cyclic feeling;
    Making piston weights and fitting washers - endcaps smash into the workshop ceiling.
    What once was fun becomes chore - setting springs and cutting fingers, fitting guides and smearing grease;
    Then a packet from across the border - in it there's a Webley Vulcan, and the dream comes true with ease.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddbob08 View Post
    Thanks evert,
    I'd noticed an M5 fits the rear block, it's the same on my Eclipse, though that now has a pair of M5 in the front..... I'd bought some off Chambers for the Stingray and thought they looked a bit Imperial, rather like some stainless ones I bought for a Rapid 7 a while ago, but I didn't want to wind them in as they're reportedly made out of chocolate. I want to get a tap and tidy the threads up, or cut a slot down a suitable screw and use that, it sometimes cleans a thread up without cutting deeper into the metal.
    You find the screws you need if you do a bot of searching on the bay.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    You find the screws you need if you do a bot of searching on the bay.
    I have the screws, I just wanted to ensure the threads in the cylinder are good enough to use, they look a little bit chewed up so want to run a tap down them to clean them up. Still need to find a stock, rare as hen's teeth.