Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A significant difference in the Victor action was the flat faced rear breech plug, instead of the rounded Vulcan type, also it originally retained the 14mm barrel and short front sight of the Vulcan I.

A notable change in the Vulcan III was the cast trigger blade, which had a wider ribbed face.

The C1 was a straight Victor action with the barrel further shortened, but later versions acquired a safety, 16mm barrel, and ribbed trigger (which IMHO greatly improved the handling of the cute but wrist-wrecking straight grip stock).

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

A significant difference in the Victor action was the flat faced rear breech plug, instead of the rounded Vulcan type, also it originally retained the 14mm barrel and short front sight of the Vulcan I.

A notable change in the Vulcan III was the cast trigger blade, which had a wider ribbed face.

The C1 was a straight Victor action with the barrel further shortened, but later versions acquired a safety, 16mm barrel, and ribbed trigger (which IMHO greatly improved the handling of the cute but wrist-wrecking straight grip stock).
    Some great extra info for this on-going thread, there, so many thanks. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

This has been a really good read and it was very decent of you to bump this up for me to read, it has been a great way to spend an hour on a Sunday afternoon. I now would like to own a Vulcan and especially the C1 as I cannot think of another air rifle that has the stock design that this has. I am no collector and would probably go for a MK2 onwards for the Vulcan. Does the later Vulcan and C1 require special scope mounts like the Airsporters?

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Nope, worry not: Same standard scope mounts across the whole post 1979 Webley & Scott Vulcan range.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Standard scope mounts always help-I detest trying to source the ones for earlier BSA rifles and never understood why they are different to seemingly every other gun in the universe.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Standard scope mounts always help-I detest trying to source the ones for earlier BSA rifles and never understood why they are different to seemingly every other gun in the universe.
    The early ones weren't "different" at the time. They are sized for the standard Parker Hale dovetails of the period. BSA was among the first (if not THE first) to offer the facility of mounting a scope direct to an airgun, so they just went with what was the industry "norm" at the time.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Good point Harry mac. I have a BSA Mercury waiting for a scope mount that I will get on my next visit to Mcavoys...it just irks me that they are different.