Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Hi Donald I did start of that way had it all back in a sash clamp with straps to try and stop it moving sideways as I pushed the spirng loaded evil thing in but everything kept moving .
    That's when I hit upon the other idea and it was, easy that, way .

How's your exorcet BTW mine is really good favorite gun at the moment .

I don't like it. Too hard to cock, inaccurate and jumpy. But it's my dad's gun. I'll talk him into letting me sort it for him.
    Only thing is the lathe is on the blink at the moment and there's too much else happening. It'll get the treatment at some point.
    How's your 35? You ever get it accurized?
    Donald

Hi mate yes the 35 is perfect now accuracy wise, still a bit more twang than I would like but I am too stingy to buy it a straight spring 🤣
    In the end it was brand new shims that did it.
    Sounds like you need to get on with that exorcet mine is really good same accuracy as the 35 !

Webley also made a run of Vulcan MK2s with a choice of walnut tyrolean or sporter walnut stocks. These had a distinctive arrow shaped area of checkering on the fore end. The shape of the pistol grip is very pronounced, these stocks were not custom stock cs500/600s. I think they also did editions of the tracker with these stocks.

I have a factory tyrolean vulcan which came from The Mart in Lowestoft in about 1986.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    The Mart in Lowestoft in about 1986.
    That brings back memories. The first two air rifles I bought with my own money were from The Mart. A Webley Hawk MkIII, which I still have, and a BSA Mercury S, which, sadly, I don't.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by simona View Post
    Webley also made a run of Vulcan MK2s with a choice of walnut tyrolean or sporter walnut stocks. These had a distinctive arrow shaped area of checkering on the fore end. The shape of the pistol grip is very pronounced, these stocks were not custom stock cs500/600s. I think they also did editions of the tracker with these stocks.

I have a factory tyrolean vulcan which came from The Mart in Lowestoft in about 1986.
    I would love to see that tyro Vulcan!
    Donald

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post

I would love to see that tyro Vulcan!
    Defo, ditto, me too (please ).

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Checking Chris Thrale's book, the tyro (and a different walnut "Custom" sporter stock from the prior Special and Deluxe ones) was announced in November 84, and still advertised two years later. 1986 prices from Streatham Armoury (remember them?) ranged from £72 for a basic Vulcan to £130 for the tyro. As Chris suggests in his book, it's hard to imagine many of the tyros selling at that price.

And, yes, the equivalent stocks were offered for the sidelevers. £169 in 1986 from Litts.

These stocked rifles must be out there someware so I wander what they would be worth ?
    It also raises my expectations of how nice a Vulcan might shoot since I wouldn't expect tyro stocks for ruff shooting guns ?

My Vulcan had very ruff assembly bits of welding rod sticking out of the spot welds and spatter in fact its the worst welding on any gun I own and I own a b2 and a b3 as well as, more modern Chinese guns.

I'm afraid I've no idea how to put pictures on here. The gun was originally Venom tuned but never was accurate. I now have an SFS action in that stock with a shortened barrel, long silencer and a chambers two stage trigger. It's simply excellent now. The venom action is still in a shed cosmeticaly rough but super smooth. I think it's just a poor barrel on that one. If someone can instruct me on how to append a picture to a post I'll put one on here. Please don't direct me to one of the hosting sites. I'll never work it out!
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Very nice indeed.

Well worth keeping

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Beautiful. Thank you for sharing/showing.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.