Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle -- A Vox-Pop History

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    ​.
    Cheers StephenJH, a fascinating account which will sit well on this thread.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

New to the Vulcan

I thought I should compliment my burgeoning collection with a couple of rifles that I feel I should own or at least have experienced. One of the guns towards the top of that list is the Webley Vulcan. Why? Well this thread extols the virtues enough, for me not to have to go back over that ground. Let's just say, it was conspicuous by its absence. I thought it would be interesting to follow the journey of my new Vulcan from the day of purchase (which was yesterday in fact). I picked this up at auction yesterday. Id like to get it shooting well and will review it and perhaps report back with some 'stats' when Ive had a chance to play.

Serial number 561738. The first thing I am trying to do is age it, and identify the correct model. Walnut stock (No checkering though.)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
    G
    Last edited by GSMN1; 21-03-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: retry image link
    https://www.walnut.black

Great looking Vulcan! Nice find! I think its a mk1, from about end 1979.
    Dont think its a Deluxe, its missing sling swivels and chequering
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by dayglowfroggy View Post
    Bit more Vulcan love from me .
    Tonight I got a real grip on the trigger started doing one hole groups at 12 yards .
    That's the, standard trigger no mods just me working out the feel for it .
    I had been snapping it as a way to get better groups but I found it does have a predictable let off tonight it just takes a lot of pressure to get there before you let it break.
    So its currently shooting more accurate than my hw35 though its not as good as the rest of my HW springers I used my 99 for the first tine in a while and that's just PCP easy after shooting more challenging springers for a while.
    I used to shoot a .22 then follow up with a .177 and the challenge was to not make the holes bigger .
    The trigers sure are heavy, but with some technique can be released accurately. In fact they are pretty accurate rifles, and powerful for for their size. Not really a benchrest rifle being a springer but shot sporting style can keep it all there.
    Definitely not one for a high mag scope, and taking all day to make the shot. With a good smooth deliberate shooting action then they can deliver.

I think the Vulcan MKI is an important rifle of its time. Completely ignored because they were inexpensive and sold in numbers; nothing sexy about them. But a lot of people had a lot of fun with them. The MKII looked better but added nothing to the basic design nor to the shooting ability. Best bits about the MKI was its small size and it packed a punch.

Mint in box MKI's are rare, because no one gave them any thought. For pure nostalgia they are hard to equal, and for 1970/80's Airgun World with the take up of air rifle shooting then they are the very equal to the HW35 in air rifle shooting sports league of fame. Possibly more so as they got more people involved in the sport being half the price of a HW35e. MKI a thoroughly underrated rifle.

I sold my Telescan scout scopes a few years back. Put one of those on and for a collector then "how very period". Not the best sighting system because of the scope but has merit.

Quote Originally Posted by GSMN1 View Post
    I thought I should compliment my burgeoning collection with a couple of rifles that I feel I should own or at least have experienced. One of the guns towards the top of that list is the Webley Vulcan. Why? Well this thread extols the virtues enough, for me not to have to go back over that ground. Let's just say, it was conspicuous by its absence. I thought it would be interesting to follow the journey of my new Vulcan from the day of purchase (which was yesterday in fact). I picked this up at auction yesterday. Id like to get it shooting well and will review it and perhaps report back with some 'stats' when Ive had a chance to play.

Serial number 561738. The first thing I am trying to do is age it, and identify the correct model. Walnut stock (No checkering though.)

Many thanks
    G
    Hi fellow 'G' (lol). Not sure if there was a Delux in the MK.I, but there was a Special Edition (with a top grade chequered walnut stock of which only 110 were made -- see above), and a Special Export (walnut stock but not as top draw as the Special Edition) which were more mass produced. There were also a number of MK.I Vulcans made with plain walnut stock of which yours is one (a lovely gun btw ). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Gents many thanks. Now I know model and brief history so will crack on review performance etc and report back. Cheers G
    https://www.walnut.black

Gents many thanks. Now I know model and brief history so will crack on review performance etc and report back. Cheers G
    Glad this thread helped, and welcome to the Vulcan owner's elite . Atb from a 'fellow G.

Special edition info

Hi,
    Just got got a Vulcan se . The serial number is 900***. Was wondering if it is a Special Editon.
    It’s in really good shape.
    Thanks .
    Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Some more info.

The Victor (1981-88) was a youth model. Plain stock, shorter butt. Slightly weaker spring for easier cocking. No safety.

Beeman C1 carbine: 1983-1991. A Vulcan action with a 14" barrel in a straight-grip stock. Originally had no safety catch. Not popular here, but briefly quite popular in the US.

From the Vulcan Series 3, the trigger blade on this family (and it is the same trigger on the Tracker and Viscount sidelevers) was made much more curved.
    While all the early Vulcan relatives had the same basic receiver, trigger, piston etc., it might be more accurate to say the original C1 was actually a Victor action with a shorter barrel and a Vulcan spring. Its flat-faced rear cylinder cap, lack of a safety, skinny 14mm barrel, and short front sight casting were all Victor parts.

The C1 “inherited” later Vulcan refinements, though, including the safety, a heavier 16mm barrel (better balance IMHO), and the curved trigger (did much to help the awful grip position).

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    While all the early Vulcan relatives had the same basic receiver, trigger, piston etc., it might be more accurate to say the original C1 was actually a Victor action with a shorter barrel and a Vulcan spring. Its flat-faced rear cylinder cap, lack of a safety, skinny 14mm barrel, and short front sight casting were all Victor parts.

The C1 “inherited” later Vulcan refinements, though, including the safety, a heavier 16mm barrel (better balance IMHO), and the curved trigger (did much to help the awful grip position).
    You are indeed correct (but is it 14mm or 15mm? Must measure mine.).

I was using “Vulcan action” to mean the base improved Hawk design. The Vulcan was introduced (1979) a couple of years before the Victor (1981) or the C1 (1983). So in my mind, any later Vulcan-derived gun was a variant of the Vulcan, if that makes sense.

Many thanks
    G
    I suspect thats a pretty rare rifle there. To be dull it would be a lesser rifle if overly tuned up; basics fine.
    The MKII in Walnut and checkering less rare and I've had a couple. All shoot like a Vulcan only can...agriculturally.

I've a soft shot for MKI's and think they should be given more respect. Hard to find mint ones, and even excellent isn't easy as they age badly. Plenty of beaters to shoot with. I have had both clibres and though I'm a .177 fan these are best in .22 for the pure whollop of it all. .177 are far rarer, probably no more than 20% made in the calibre.

Thread bumped back ttt for the attention of BBS member Gamocfx. Hope it helps? Atb:G.

A significant difference in the Victor action was the flat faced rear breech plug, instead of the rounded Vulcan type, also it originally retained the 14mm barrel and short front sight of the Vulcan I.

A notable change in the Vulcan III was the cast trigger blade, which had a wider ribbed face.

The C1 was a straight Victor action with the barrel further shortened, but later versions acquired a safety, 16mm barrel, and ribbed trigger (which IMHO greatly improved the handling of the cute but wrist-wrecking straight grip stock).

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

A significant difference in the Victor action was the flat faced rear breech plug, instead of the rounded Vulcan type, also it originally retained the 14mm barrel and short front sight of the Vulcan I.

A notable change in the Vulcan III was the cast trigger blade, which had a wider ribbed face.

The C1 was a straight Victor action with the barrel further shortened, but later versions acquired a safety, 16mm barrel, and ribbed trigger (which IMHO greatly improved the handling of the cute but wrist-wrecking straight grip stock).
    Some great extra info for this on-going thread, there, so many thanks. Atb: G.

This has been a really good read and it was very decent of you to bump this up for me to read, it has been a great way to spend an hour on a Sunday afternoon. I now would like to own a Vulcan and especially the C1 as I cannot think of another air rifle that has the stock design that this has. I am no collector and would probably go for a MK2 onwards for the Vulcan. Does the later Vulcan and C1 require special scope mounts like the Airsporters?